Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #751
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Totally off-topic, but whoever (I forget who it was because I deleted the message and then put them on my ignore list) private messaged me to call me a clueless twit, I think that's uncalled for. I don't work for Disney, but I see no problem in playing devil's advocate about FP+.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #752
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Totally off-topic, but whoever (I forget who it was because I deleted the message and then put them on my ignore list) private messaged me to call me a clueless twit, I think that's uncalled for. I don't work for Disney, but I see no problem in playing devil's advocate about FP+.
Agreed, that is totally uncalled for. Like I told WisBlue, it's a difference of opinion that makes the world go around.

I just hope somebody is at AK this Wednesday to report back to us how the testing went. I'd also really like to know how it goes starting this Saturday when the Christmas crowds start to descend on the parks.
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #753
btk2333
BCV DVC owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCharlotte View Post
It appears that everyone who books a Disney package or room in advance is receiving FP+ promotional material in very nice packaging w/ the infamous Mickey zip drive. Ours included a fridge magnet with the sole purpose of reminding us what date we can start booking FP+. I wouldn't hazard a guess at how many will book right at 60 days, but the human tendency to procrastinate has been overcome before -- Yellowstone hotels booking up one year ahead, to cite a non-ADR example.

Groups also make me nervous. I've been at DHS when several very large groups of RD-arriving Brazilian teens took nearly every FP for ToT and RnR before noon in the slow season. Their groups will be booking FP+ at sixty days out.
Just to clarify not everyone is getting that promotional material. I've done three Magic Bands trips since the testing started earlier this year, each time booking three separate room reservations (due to other couples/families traveling with us.) None of us have ever gotten a flash drive or fridge magnet. Only time will tell if people change their habits or not.

Tour groups also generally practice the worst park touring strategies. They show up late and go to the headliners at the busiest times of day. I would be surprised if they make best use of FP+, maybe they will though, who knows

I'm just excited the system is finally moving towards its final product. It's an exciting time to be visiting WDW in our opinion.
btk2333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #754
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
This is an important element:

Some kind of "multiple grouping" would have to come into play at the FP+ kiosks, so that all of the members of a group could get the same FP+ attraction reservations,
and all (each) of the RFID tickets of that group would turn the Mickey head scanner GREEN at the FP entrance.

This could be done in various ways at the kiosks, but it will be a somewhat (!) more complex thing to do... especially with the (anticipated) long lines of guests at each of the FP+ kiosk locations.
Super late to the party, but my guess is sort of like they handle people at "Be our Guest" Lunch in MK....you just "add guests" to your table/FP+ at the kiosk, scanning their tickets as you go.

But we'll see.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #755
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

Quote:
Totally off-topic, but whoever (I forget who it was because I deleted the message and then put them on my ignore list) private messaged me to call me a clueless twit, I think that's uncalled for.
That's the worst you've been called? If you knew half the things that got sent to me! I think some people take things too personally. I know I don't let it get to me. I'm pretty sure most of us could go out and have a drink together and laugh about most of this. And then if people didn't drink we could make fun of that!
I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. There would never be an “Escalator Temporarily Out of Order” sign. Only an “Escalator Temporarily Stairs… Sorry for the Convenience.”
Mad Hattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #756
wordwitt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisblue View Post
This could be an interesting discussion all by itself.

Putting aside the pros and cons of the change to FP+, what SHOULD Disney do or have done to get from the paper FP system to one in which FP+ is the only way to get FPs?

I don't see how you could get there without causing major headaches (yes, much worse than what people think is going on now) without going in small steps, first to introduce the new system, and then to withdraw the old one.

I know one of the complaints is about giving more advance notice of changes, but that doesn't seem practical either unless you want the transition to take several years. Announcing things way in advance would remove the flexibility to make adjustments based on how previous steps go.
I think people may have been less upset in general if there was more transparency with the process, as well as a peek into the vision for the final concept. In other words something like, "We're testing, and that can mean there will be glitches, and if there are, we want to make them right. We don't know exactly what the final FP+ will look like-- again, testing-- but our hope is to give on-site guests the ability to pre-book at 60 days and then give all guests the ability to do same day FP+ bookings. And this is how you'll do that . . " and then with the FAQ, perhaps addressing some of the actual concerns that people are having. But there's no central voice for FP+ except Disney's marketing department,and I don't think that works well because then people just feel manipulated.
wordwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #757
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post

Super late to the party, but my guess is sort of like they handle people at "Be our Guest" Lunch in MK....you just "add guests" to your table/FP+ at the kiosk, scanning their tickets as you go.

But we'll see.
You do make the selections for your whole party at the kiosks. The iPads access your actual account just like at home and the kiosks have the option to add more people to your party (they have to be in your list already) and then you make selections.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #758
Laketravis
FP+ is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way - which one's Pink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisblue View Post
Putting aside the pros and cons of the change to FP+, what SHOULD Disney do or have done to get from the paper FP system to one in which FP+ is the only way to get FPs?
I know you posed that question to someone else, but the first thought I had when I read it was they could have done a much better job securing the buy-in of their own employees.

Our personal experience was that many CM's were not thrilled at all with FP+. I was even surprised on occasion to hear some of them use words like "crap" when discussing it. One even used the word "Sh!t" (I waited for what I thought would be an embarrassed apology but one never came).

Anecdotal, but it seemed like the ones with the negative opinions were "more mature" and had been at WDW longer. The ones with positive opinions were operationally closer to IT and younger.

Emotions about FP+ run deep no matter who you are, and I don't think Disney prepared their staff as well as they could have.

Last edited by Laketravis; 12-16-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Laketravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #759
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will be very curious to see how many parks, if any, still have paper FP machines on January 7th.
Let me guess. Your vacation starts on January 7th.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #760
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
Let me guess. Your vacation starts on January 7th.
It does. We are on-site, though, and since I'm running the Dopey Challenge I don't plan to spend any more time in the parks than to use my FP+ rides and get out.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #761
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwitt View Post
I think people may have been less upset in general if there was more transparency with the process, as well as a peek into the vision for the final concept. In other words something like, "We're testing, and that can mean there will be glitches, and if there are, we want to make them right. We don't know exactly what the final FP+ will look like-- again, testing-- but our hope is to give on-site guests the ability to pre-book at 60 days and then give all guests the ability to do same day FP+ bookings. And this is how you'll do that . . " and then with the FAQ, perhaps addressing some of the actual concerns that people are having. But there's no central voice for FP+ except Disney's marketing department,and I don't think that works well because then people just feel manipulated.
This was initially my biggest disappointment with Disney, before I got drawn into all the other threads. I get where they're going with the MB's and am actually excited about them. But with no word from Disney on what was happening from day to day or week to week with FP-/FP+, that's just not what I expected from the Disney I know. And to just dump these different restrictions on visitors 3 days before they arrive for vacations or worse, while they're down there just seems wrong to me. It just surprises me that a company who's been the standard for excellent customer service for so long could botch something this badly in terms of public relations.
rebbyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #762
wisblue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwitt View Post
The tiny sliver of guests who post on boards like this may have been less upset, but I doubt it.

Most of the rest of the guests are oblivious to what's going on, or just roll with things, just as they would if they arrived at the park and found that one of the attractions that they intended to ride was down for the day.

As far as I'm concerned, there is plenty of information about MM+ and FP+ on the Disney site and on the unassociated websites for people who are looking for it. There is also a lot of targeted information going to onsite guests.
wisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #763
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It does. We are on-site, though, and since I'm running the Dopey Challenge I don't plan to spend any more time in the parks than to use my FP+ rides and get out.
No, no. no. no! You're supposed to be shopping when you're not running and riding!

rebbyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #764
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbyparker View Post
No, no. no. no! You're supposed to be shopping when you're not running and riding!

I will do plenty of shopping at the runners' Expo.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #765
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will do plenty of shopping at the runners' Expo.
Iger thanks you

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: