Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #196
wordwitt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
And do you not agree that if somebody can't get TSMM or Soarin' fastpasses 2 weeks out that their guest experience is diminished significantly? How do you think that guest will feel? You think they will be fine with Disney holding fastpasses for day of when they have been proactive enough to book a trip in advance? There is no way Disney holds FP back, just like they don't hold ADRs back.

And the comparison is valid, especially when you think about restaurants where demand far outpaces capacity.

It's certainly possible that someday you'll have to put a CC hold on your FP appointments.
From what I understand, ADRs do get held back. Also, yes, of course they will hold them back for FP. But again, Disney knows the metrics. If 50K people are staying on-site on a particular day, and they are scattered among the 4 parks and 2 water parks, and their FP selections are distributed among attractions at each park, Disney knows how many advance FP selections it can allow while still ensuring adequate day-of selections for guests. Again, this is a very basic calculation. Sure, demand for headliners will almost always exceed capacity, but maybe Disney believes FP+ is a better way to manage this distribution.

And personally, I do think it is more fair to limit guests to one FP per headliner per day than to have guests pulling 4 or 5 FP for each person in their party per day for a headliner. I know this will not make me popular among FP super-users whose touring experience will inevitably be diminished, but just in terms of general fairness, this is a better system, I believe. And who knows? Maybe you will eventually be able to pull more than one FP for a headliner in a day.

I understand that I am generally a FP+ supporter. I liked FP-, but it had some limitations, as well. It was obviously pretty low tech, and I just think the potential for a better guest experience is there with FP+. I could be wrong, though, and I admit that freely.
wordwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #197
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

[QUOTE=wordwitt;50258465]From what I understand, ADRs do get held back. /QUOTE]

If you check out the Restaurants board, there are a slew of us who changed our BOG reservations for the first few weeks of January because a TON of reservations just opened up this morning.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #198
amylevan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
I believe she is saying that e-mails have not been sent out to all guests making them aware of the situation. Not everybody is like us Disney uber-geeks. LOL
This. There has been no official communication from Disney. I'm not surprised because this whole process has been some sort of secretive clusterf**k, but how is the average guest supposed to know this. I'm willing to bet that FP is even still mentioned on the guide maps.

And this is what, 3 days before the start of THE busiest time to visit WDW all year???

It's like these people have never run a theme park before.
2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2010 (x2) - Fort Wilderness
2012 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Fort Wilderness
amylevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #199
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylevan View Post
I can't get past arriving at a theme park on a vacation that you dropped significant cash on, to find that the fastpass machines are gone, or covered, or whatever with no warning. I thought the elimination of the KTTW cards at Pop 2 days before arrival was bad. This is absurd.

I feel awful for the CMs scheduled to work because I think the s**ts going to hit the fan.
I have had issues with the rollout in general, particularly when pulling the rug out from under people at Pop and All Stars ...

But this, this is a dramatic change for just about everyone going to WDW. Onsite and off. And, its beyond the cancellation date.

I get that Disney had to do something to test this system change (or they could have just built more rides instead ) ... But there are much better ways to go about it.

For instance, they could have offered incentives to people to OPT into testing, instead of forcing people, quite often long after they have booked and paid for their trips, Flights, vacation time reserved etc, into being Guinea Pigs. Paying to be guinea pigs. This is absolutely unacceptable, unless it is your choice to do so.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #200
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylevan View Post
This. There has been no official communication from Disney. I'm not surprised because this whole process has been some sort of secretive clusterf**k, but how is the average guest supposed to know this. I'm willing to bet that FP is even still mentioned on the guide maps.

And this is what, 3 days before the start of THE busiest time to visit WDW all year???

It's like these people have never run a theme park before.
rebbyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #201
DisneyMountainWoman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbyparker View Post
You couldn't pay me enough to be a CM in the parks while this is going on. Poor things. I think we should start a "Hug a CM Today" movement.
Haha, soo true, I feel like there will be a lot of fires that will need to be put out at Animal Kingdom coming soon...

Do these CEO's ever visit their own parks? They seem to have lost touch with what is really going on, one of the Disney CEO's needs to be on the Bosses Undercover Show, that might help open their eyes.
DisneyMountainWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #202
wordwitt
Mouseketeer

I realize that I am making a big assumption, but assuming everyone is willing to get FP selections at AK in roughly equivalent numbers to those who would have pulled FP on the same day, then does it really matter *how* they get those FP?

So Joe Jersey comes to the park with Joan Jersey and little John Jersey. They are staying at the Hilton Bonnet Creek and buying tickets at the AK gate. They want to ride EE, KS, and Dinosaur. If they go to the kiosk and are able to make those selections, then does it really matter that they weren't able to put their ticket into the machine and get a paper FP?

I believe that Disney believes that the Jersey family will have this experience at AK next week.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #203
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwitt View Post
So Joe Jersey comes to the park with Joan Jersey and little John Jersey. They are staying at the Hilton Bonnet Creek and buying tickets at the AK gate. They want to ride EE, KS, and Dinosaur. If they go to the kiosk and are able to make those selections, then does it really matter that they weren't able to put their ticket into the machine and get a paper FP?

I believe that Disney believes that the Jersey family will have this experience at AK next week.
In theory, they should have access to those three rides.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #204
KatieCharlotte
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
No, of course not. But it's been obvious to those paying attention that this was all going to happen very quickly and on no notice.
(1) What percentage of people going to Disney are "paying attention" to that degree?

(2) How many people who were paying very close attention actually thought they would cover all fastpass machines at a park a week before Christmas with only a few days notice?

(3) What percentage of guests walking into AK on Dec 18 will have had any idea what is happening? The funny thing is, the people who did no research will probably take it more in stride than the people who have been planning their trips for months.
KatieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #205
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

The ripping off of the band aid was going to come at some point. Like others have said though, some advance notice to those that Disney knew would be coming during these times would've been nice I'm sure.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip;Nov 2014 - Pop - MVMCP trip;Aug 2015 First DVC trip?
squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #206
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCharlotte View Post
(1) What percentage of people going to Disney are "paying attention" to that degree?

(2) How many people who were paying very close attention actually thought they would cover all fastpass machines at a park a week before Christmas with only a few days notice?

(3) What percentage of guests walking into AK on Dec 18 will have had any idea what is happening? The funny thing is, the people who did no research will probably take it more in stride than the people who have been planning their trips for months.
I get your point, but I wonder what percentage of these "know nothing" visitors are going to care about the change. Some might think it's great.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #207
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Well, this seems to be three day's notice, if not a little longer.
BY A FAN SITE and not a damn word from DISNEY about it!!
I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. There would never be an “Escalator Temporarily Out of Order” sign. Only an “Escalator Temporarily Stairs… Sorry for the Convenience.”
Mad Hattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #208
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hattered View Post
BY A FAN SITE and not a damn word from DISNEY about it!!
Well, we don't even know for sure that this rumor is true.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #209
KatieCharlotte
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwitt View Post
I realize that I am making a big assumption, but assuming everyone is willing to get FP selections at AK in roughly equivalent numbers to those who would have pulled FP on the same day, then does it really matter *how* they get those FP?

And I believe the Jersey family will spend the first fifteen minutes trying to understand what the heck the CMs are talking about since this is not the way their friends said FP was on their trips (how will this be explained to guests entering the park?), then get in a long line at a kiosk while Dad curses the idea of waiting just to book rides, and then maybe get them booked or maybe run into a technical glitch and want to break the machine, while people behind them are getting annoyed. And the family who arrived a little later will find that all the afternoon times are gone because all the early people booked three at once, and they are mad because no one told them the rules changed.

But hey, at least it's not at Epcot, where the Jersey family would be staring at the screening, while Dad shouts, "What do you mean, I can only choose Soarin' or Test Track! or Maelstrom or Illuminations. I don't even know what Maelstrom is. Wait a minute, other people are going on these rides right now while I'm stuck at this stupid kiosk!"
KatieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #210
wordwitt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCharlotte View Post
And I believe the Jersey family will spend the first fifteen minutes trying to understand what the heck the CMs are talking about since this is not the way their friends said FP was on their trips (how will this be explained to guests entering the park?), then get in a long line at a kiosk while Dad curses the idea of waiting just to book rides, and then maybe get them booked or maybe run into a technical glitch and want to break the machine, while people behind them are getting annoyed. And the family who arrived a little later will find that all the afternoon times are gone because all the early people booked three at once, and they are mad because no one told them the rules changed.

But hey, at least it's not at Epcot, where the Jersey family would be staring at the screening, while Dad shouts, "What do you mean, I can only choose Soarin' or Test Track! or Maelstrom or Illuminations. I don't even know what Maelstrom is. Wait a minute, other people are going on these rides right now while I'm stuck at this stupid kiosk!"
Until next week, you don't know that any of this will happen. You just don't. Also, you don't know whether the day-of FP+ choices will be tiered because we haven't seen it yet. My point is, if everyone gets to ride the rides they want and gets the FP they want, then who cares how it happens? Might there be a few kinks at first? Yes, I imagine there will be, but that's the price of change and progress (see, for reference, every iPhone or Microsoft launch). But to complain about FP- machines being covered without "notice" is elevating form over substance.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: