Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #151
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Do you suppose most off-site or local or day-of guests have done so?
If they haven't, now is the time to do it. I wouldn't want to be standing in line at a kiosk or having no FP, all standby. When they pull the FP- machines that will be their options if you don't have the account.
jimmysmom74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #152
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
I think this is totally possible.

But the issue is...what will the same-day availability be when thousands and thousands of people have gotten in line 60 days (or whatever) ahead?
Theoretically, it would be slightly worse than the FP- situation right now, wouldn't it?

We can probably assume that in this situation they're not adding anybody to the prebooking pool (except maybe AP holders staying offsite) but that more people will become aware of the system as time goes on. Other than that, aside from offsite guests who don't use FP+ because it's not as simple as FP-, there shouldn't be too much difference than there is now. The day of FP+ will probably go at a similar rate to the smaller number of legacy FP now, assuming they restrict it to in park reservations only.
morethananyonex is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #153
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysmom74 View Post

If they haven't, now is the time to do it. I wouldn't want to be standing in line at a kiosk or having no FP, all standby. When they pull the FP- machines that will be their options if you don't have the account.
I have one for ADRs.
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #154
wordwitt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
I think this is totally possible.

But the issue is...what will the same-day availability be when thousands and thousands of people have gotten in line 60 days (or whatever) ahead?

I think that's really the $20,000 question, but a certain percentage of the population will never pull any kind of FP, some won't show (I'm sure that's built in to the equation), and obviously the tiering was meant to address this precise issue. But right now, people are booking FP+ and using regular FP, and in many cases, have been double and triple-dipping, and by and large most people are saying there continues to be good FP+ availability even during busy times. I will be very curious to see how it shakes out. But I absolutely refuse to believe that Disney didn't know the numbers before diving in to this new system, and that it isn't fully aware that if the guest experience diminishes as a result, so will profits. That seems like a no-brainer to me. Now IT issues and glitches are, to me, a separate issue, because unlike a flawed concept or relying on bad data, these are fixable issues.
wordwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #155
AndyFL
This is my tag....one day I'll be all big and my color will change!

Location: Panhandle of FL just north of Panama City...basically the armpit of FL

After reading all these posts and contemplating what will happen once all the paper kiosk are gone a question came to mind. In the past you have had to physically walk up to the kiosk to get your FP, this has it's own built-in "curb" and only rides like TSM are out almost immediately. Now people will be able to book FPs way in advance without having to step foot in the parks. Question: Won't this create many situations where there won't be ANY FPs available on many of the headliners on the day you enter the park? I realize this won't be a huge issue for those who plan their trips way in advance but folks like me who live fairly close often don't plan a trip much more than a week or two away it seems like it will be a major issue.
AndyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #156
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwitt View Post
Another potential advantage is that, with my rose-colored FP+ glasses on, I can make day-of FP+ reservations not only from the kiosks but from MDE. So theoretically, I could be having breakfast at Boma and make my day-of FP+ reservations there before heading to the park . . .

At least that's the way I'd like to see it work.
The other question is why does it have to be same day??? If I have a 7 day pass associated with my MDE, why not give me access to pre book 7 days and then lock out??? The MDE will not let you book more than your pass allows, and it only gives you a 14 day from first use day window, so it is possible to give them prebook status without it overloading the system day of. And like Disney said, they are locking their guests in to a plan prior to arrival even offsite guest. It's genius really, but I have those glasses on too!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #157
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFL View Post
After reading all these posts and contemplating what will happen once all the paper kiosk are gone a question came to mind. In the past you have had to physically walk up to the kiosk to get your FP, this has it's own built-in "curb" and only rides like TSM are out almost immediately. Now people will be able to book FPs way in advance without having to step foot in the parks. Question: Won't this create many situations where there won't be ANY FPs available on many of the headliners on the day you enter the park? I realize this won't be a huge issue for those who plan their trips way in advance but folks like me who live fairly close often don't plan a trip much more than a week or two away it seems like it will be a major issue.
Yup.

Welcome to the "But, What Will Happen To..." FP+ club.

The "advance reservation" FP+ situation has always been the more problematic part of the program.
The NUMBERS don't add up well.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #158
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, we've been discussing this. The headliners do not have enough capacity. There have been numbers thrown around for the past week. Legacy FP's run out for them (TSMM, Soaring/TT, ETWB, 7DMT) fast. Pre-booking headliners, even if they limit it to one FP+ is not going to alleviate that problem. Sure, they may con newcomers into booking FP+ for Figment or Living with the Land or Muppets, but eventually the numbers are going to catch up with them.
rebbyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #159
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
The only possible advantage I can see is if there is a way to book same-day in some way other than kiosks. A ride like TSMM of course runs out quickly and people have to hurry to it in the hope that they can get fastpasses for the evening. That will probably still be true but it would be better to be able to book from anywhere and any amount ahead of time would also help.

I don't know, it doesn't sound all that promising so far.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #160
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Currently (not saying for the future) it might look like the folks staying at the Swan/Dolphin complex may have the best situation of all.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...postcount=3183

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #161
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Currently (not saying for the future) it might look like the folks staying at the Swan/Dolphin complex may have the best situation of all.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...postcount=3183
Wow, that is nice. If they keep the Swan/Dolphin kiosks separate and continue to hand out the extra FP+ then staying at the Swan or Dolphin is going to be very appealing. I wonder if those resorts worked out a special deal with Disney?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #162
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbyparker View Post
Yes, we've been discussing this. The headliners do not have enough capacity. There have been numbers thrown around for the past week. Legacy FP's run out for them (TSMM, Soaring/TT, ETWB, 7DMT) fast. Pre-booking headliners, even if they limit it to one FP+ is not going to alleviate that problem. Sure, they may con newcomers into booking FP+ for Figment or Living with the Land or Muppets, but eventually the numbers are going to catch up with them.
I am not a newbie, but I do think with adjustments, the system can work. What is the difference if you book a FP on MDE in you hand or walk up to a FP machine and pull out a ticket, same thing. Lack of Headliners at DHS and Epcot are the problem, not FP+. Ak and MK are handling it well, we were there Thanksgiving and FP- and FP+ were available in these parks all the time. Epcot and DHS are a different story, FP- would be out at these rides long before FP+ existed, so the problem was here already.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #163
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis View Post
I'm noticing a distinct lack of posts in this thread from those who claim that FP+ is wonderful and will enhance everyone's WDW experience in the most positive of ways. The rubber is about to meet the road.
I used it last month and loved it. Luckily I did not have any technical issues other than some confused CMs when I activated my AP. I loved being able to choose any time of the day, not being limited to the return time clock and not having to be at the ride to get a FP. I only pulled one FP- and that was for LM at MK. I made some changes on the fly, even changed my park for one day. Right now my attitude is wait and see, I don't have a trip until May. I don't think this is the final product, I think it will evolve.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #164
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Wow, that is nice. If they keep the Swan/Dolphin kiosks separate and continue to hand out the extra FP+ then staying at the Swan or Dolphin is going to be very appealing. I wonder if those resorts worked out a special deal with Disney?
Just my opinion, but obviously SD has a special marketing arrangement with Disney versus the other million non-Disney hotels. My theory is that SD got mad the their guests were getting shut out of FP+, and who knows, maybe there were legal issues involved as well, and Disney threw this together as a band-aid until everything is all rolled out. Just my theory!
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #165
wisblue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis View Post
I'm noticing a distinct lack of posts in this thread from those who claim that FP+ is wonderful and will enhance everyone's WDW experience in the most positive of ways.

The rubber is about to meet the road.
Speaking for myself, I don't feel compelled to add my comments on every single thread like a lot of others do. I haven't felt any need to comment on this one because, if it is true, it is just another step toward the eventual elimination of paper FPs, something that most everyone thinks is coming eventually.

Plus, I can only shake my head at how some people think that there is no point in between "wonderful and enhancing everyone's experience in the most positive ways" and "this is so awful that this is ruining my WDW experience to the point that I won't be visiting until this mess is straightened out."

If you have REALLY read my posts like you claim you have, you would know that I can see the pluses and minuses of FP+ for us and for others, depending on how they tour. I have also made it clear that neither FP+ nor FP- is an important factor in my enjoyment of a visit to WDW. The fact that you and others have translated that into meaning that I think FP+ is the greatest thing ever to happen at WDW is your problem, not mine. My main objective has been to provide a counterbalance to the less frequent visitors who come to this board hoping to learn something to make their trips more enjoyable, not to be told that they are wasting their time and money even visiting such an awful place.

Finally, and most importantly, from some of the private messages I've gotten, I think it's apparent that a number of the people who have wanted to offer a counterpoint to the gloom and doom have simply given up and ceded the discussion to the usual group.

I would compare this to participating in a message board that is supposedly designed to discuss NFL football, but that ends up getting taken over by Bears fans. As much as someone might want to make a point about the Packers or Lions or another team, he's going to give up on that when the only response he gets is "Your team**** and you ****".

So, while you all count your numbers and congratulate yourselves on winning the debate, maybe you should think about whether you have stated a better case or simply shouted down the opposing viewpoint.
wisblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: