Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel

But that's just for the animal. You also have to figure in habitat, care (which I'm sure China would require special training), medical issues, and food. That's just for the animal. Then any PR and advertising, themed merchandise, theming around the habitat, extra staff etc etc. So not quite the bargain you think. It would be easily just as much as a ride.
You are correct. I have heard estimares of $2 million a year total costs. But that is still a great deal for Disney since they will be a big draw.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

I'm with the above who says I don't think the pandas would be that big of a draw-- unless you could pet one. then people would come. I like animals and all, but couldn't see making a special trip. My dd worked at sea world over the summer-- she said the penguin line when it first opened was 8 hours at one point. Maybe others think differently.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #18
Legendteri
Mouseketeer

:: shrugs ::

I have never seen a Panda and I personally would go out of my way to see one. Not a special trip to Orlando, but if we were in Orlando anyways, sure I'd make a special trip to AK to see one.
Legendteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

I am a zoo fan, and Panda's seem to be the biggest draw in zoos. Everywhere they are located, Pandas are the headliner for that zoo. For years we went to DC to the National Zoo and Ling Ling and Sing Sing were the big draws everyone wanted to see. They made the news regularly and when one died it made the national news. Big, adorable, and very rare. Now, of course, they won't be everybody's cup of tea, nothing is. But as far as animals in a zoo, they are the holy grail.

Best exhibit for Panda's I've seen is at Memphis where you could sit a few inches away from one while he munched bamboo on the other side of the glass in a natural setting.

I would love to see what Disney would do with a Panda encounter! I love their tiger encounter. Best I've ever visited.

But then again, I'm a zoo person and Animal Kingdom is my favorite park.

However, it is all just conjecture. I would love to hear something definitive about this.

2014 November - ?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #20
jcnewton
Never as happy as I am in Florida

I'd love to see some pandas at AK. It seems that is the park I spend the least amount of time in, and it would be nice to have some more animal exhibits!
jcnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #21
Lilipupy
Earning My Ears

Really? That's so cute!
Lilipupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #22
Josh Hendy
Mouseketeer

I recall hearing a podcast, probably something involving Jim Hill, in which it was stated that the chief point of negotiation involved with acquiring pandas is the division of gate and concession revenues. Besides the arrangements for proper care of the animals of course. If I recall correctly, China doesn't sell pandas but rents or lends them, in return for a large percentage of the financial benefits.

Speculation was at that time (a couple of years ago at least) that the negotiations between China and Disney about pandas would also be tied up with the arrangements for Shanghai Disney project. I think it was also stated in so many words that the Chinese government is very hard-headed about the financial side and can be counted on to drive a very hard bargain.

Perhaps the fact that a lot of other zoos have pandas is because they are public zoos. The financial benefit of the animals may not be such a huge thing to the zoos (because of the Chinese government's significant financial interest), but the directors of the zoo may be satisfied because the increased attendance fits their mandate to educate the public about conservation, etc.

For Disney on the other hand profits are the only reason for either having or not having pandas. So it is possible that the reason why you don't see them yet at DAK is that the financial model pursued by the Chinese government so far with public zoos just doesn't work for Disney.
Josh Hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #23
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Josh. Disney will only do it as a good financial risk versus benefit, and China will also drive a hard bargain. I do not know what some of the plusses and minuses might be for each party. It is amazing that they even got as far as talking. I, unfortunately, give it a less than 50% probability of happening.

2014 November - ?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #24
Disneyaddict0505
Earning My Ears

I am glad to hear this...I think they could really do some wonderful conservation type stuff with this.
Disneyaddict0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:46 AM   #25
katiescat
Earning My Ears

That would be great though, I'd love to see some pandas one day.
katiescat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #26
pryncess527
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSUJillybean View Post
We have pandas here at the Atlanta Zoo, and they don't really seem to be a huge draw.

I'd love to see what Disney would do with the exhibit, though.
I have always thought of the pandas as a HUGE draw to the ATL zoo. It was such a big deal when we got them.
pryncess527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #27
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
IIRC, to display a panda outside of China costs $1 million a year and the animals still belong to China. If this is true, perhaps they'd just be lowering that cost a bit?
Plus any cubs born go back to China when they are between 3 and 5 and there's a fee for each one born. Atlanta just sent their 5 and 3 year old over to China so that they can be part of the breeding program.

I would love to see them. One concern about Florida is they don't do well in heat since they are native to the mountains, they would have to have an inside exhibit.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #28
EpicBilynn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
I am a zoo fan, and Panda's seem to be the biggest draw in zoos. Everywhere they are located, Pandas are the headliner for that zoo. For years we went to DC to the National Zoo and Ling Ling and Sing Sing were the big draws everyone wanted to see. They made the news regularly and when one died it made the national news. Big, adorable, and very rare. Now, of course, they won't be everybody's cup of tea, nothing is. But as far as animals in a zoo, they are the holy grail.

Best exhibit for Panda's I've seen is at Memphis where you could sit a few inches away from one while he munched bamboo on the other side of the glass in a natural setting.

I would love to see what Disney would do with a Panda encounter! I love their tiger encounter. Best I've ever visited.

But then again, I'm a zoo person and Animal Kingdom is my favorite park.

However, it is all just conjecture. I would love to hear something definitive about this.
I agree. When the government shutdown happened and the panda cam at the National Zoo went dark it was a big enough deal that several national news agencies reported on it. I think pandas would be an amazing addition to AK. There is almost nothing cuter than a panda chewing on some bamboo

1990ish - WDW - Off-site | 2000 - DLP | July 2011 - WDW - All-Star Music | October 2011 - DLR - Off-site | December 2012/ January 2013 - NYE Disney Cruise - Magic | February 2014 - WDW - Saratoga Springs - Glass Slipper Challenge | October 2014 - WDW - All-Star Music - Tower of Terror 10-Miler | February 2015 - WDW - AKV Kidani Village - Glass Slipper Challenge | November 2015 - DLR - Off-site - Avengers Half
EpicBilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #29
Giwreh
Earning My Ears

Giant pandas are magnets for zoos. Red pandas, which can be seen more, do not have that appeal ;-)
Giwreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:10 AM   #30
Giwreh
Earning My Ears

If (I quote from somewhere above here) "Disney will only do it as a good financial risk versus benefit, and China will also drive a hard bargain" , then the European (independent) counterpart of Animal Kingdom, namely Pairi Daiza in Belgium, had no need to negociate a long time for such business deal constructions. The sheer quality of the Pairi Daiza theme park, convinced the Chinese officials at once.

Pandas arrived in februari.
On the picture also :
President of China Xi Jinping and his wife Peng Liyuan, king Filip and queen Mathilde of Belgium (Kings and queens have no last name ;-) )
Sorry AK, we were first, unless first negociations started later ! :-)

Giwreh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: