Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #76
nwcutie
Earning My Ears

Thank you for posting this

My DS14 and I are going in February and had a 8:20 reservation on our MK day. After reading all of the comments, I changed our ADR to Kona.

After a long day of touring, we like to kick back and relax. An hour wait for our ADR and bad service would result in one of us having a meltdown and really, who needs that?
nwcutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #77
Priorityonecb
DIS Veteran

We had similar service at Ohana. Awful, and we will not return. We did get our meal comped after sending an email once we left. We couldn't even get a manager to talk it over with that evening.
Priorityonecb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #78
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

You were there and if you wanted to leave then you should. We were at ohana for dinner on dec 15 and had no trouble but at breakfast on the 16th we checked in at 1030 am for a 1035 reservation and were told they were running behind.

They sure were! 30 minutes later I very nicely inquired as to how much longer our wait would be. About 10 min after that we were being seated. It went about like that through the meal. If it weren't for my son and the fact that it was a character meal I would probably have left.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015October 8 days poly cl tpv March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 4 days GF RPC Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #79
Tiggr924
Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!

I don't blame you for getting frustrated in leaving though as previous posters mentioned I probably would have made a bigger deal to get better service.

We still regret waiting an hour and a half to two hours to be seating for Boma, and then had awful service as well. We were so hungry at that point that we just suffered in silence.

1986 ~ Hotel Plaza 1988,1991,1993 off-site 1995,1997 ~Doubletree, Hotel Plaza 2000, 2003, 2005 All-Star Movies 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013 Caribbean Beach Resort 2008, 2009, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside
Tiggr924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #80
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Free dining has nothing to do with the restaurants at all. It's a resort discount. Unless you tell the restaurant server you have free dining, they don't have any way of knowing you have it.

Although I think the previous poster was of the opinion that service suffers because free dining increases traffic in the restaurants and WDW hasn't compensated with proper restaurant staffing. That's a possibility, but I don't know how it works in individual restaurants.

'Ohana is a strange restaurant. You can have two people posting who were there the same night and sat next to each other. One will say it was great and the other will say it was the worst experience ever.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #81
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Free dining has nothing to do with the restaurants at all. It's a resort discount.
Free dining along with the dining plan in general have definitely brought down the overall quality and service of the restaurants at Disney.

I don't know if it was me you were referring to or not, but not until the advent of DDP did the quality start to go down.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #82
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

One of the previous posters said that guests on free dining should probably expect bad restaurant service.

Not by itself. The restaurants don't pay for free dining, the resorts do. The restaurant has no idea if you paid for that dining plan or not, unless you tell them.

Such complaints as the perceived decline of quality and service in the restaurants, if it can be laid at the feet of the dining plan, would apply to the whole dining plan program. Not specifically to free dining, which is nothing more than a resort discount.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #83
tinkerbellybutton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peemagg View Post
No I don't think you overreacted. If you had been waiting patiently all that time and then see someone else just sit down and be served, you were totally in your rights to leave. I would have. The response from the manager was ridiculous! If after waiting all that time then have you wait another 20 minutes for more crappy service that is uncalled for. She needed to be kicking her staffs butt and do better customer service.
Unless I misunderstood the original post the reason for the 20 minute wait for another table is because the OP left their table, and another family was probably seated at it before OP talked to a manager. What do you want the manager to do? Kick the other family out so the OP could have his table back?

What the OP should have done is ask for a manager while the other guest in his/her party remained at the table. This way the manager could have tried to make things better and they would still have their original table. Not much can be done in a packed restaurant if you've already left your table and another party has been seated at it.

I don't know if I think OP over reacted, but I do think the outcome could have been different if OP handled the situation different. Talking to the manager on the way out didn't/couldn't do much to resolve the problem. Asking to speak to a manager before storming off will almost always result in a more satisfactory solution.

As far as the initial wait to be seated, at that time in the evening it's really come to be expected that you'll have a bit of a long wait as it gets close to fireworks time. I don't think there is much you can do about that. They always try to move the meal along as best they can, but some parties take longer than others.

Sorry you had a less than magical experience. We have had dinner at Ohana's probably over 15 times now. Other than the sometimes long wait to be seated we have never had crappy service and the food was always excellent. I hope you give it another try.

Up Next:????
Resorts we've stayed in: ASMox3, ASSp., ASMu, PC, CBRx3, CSR, PORx2, POFQ, WLx6, Poly, BC, YC, BWV, AKL(Jambo)x2, AKL (Kidani), SSR, OKW, SOGx2, Swan, Vero Beach!
tinkerbellybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #84
tinkerbellybutton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Did you miss where the managers solution was wait 20 more minuted. What good was asking for a manager going to do? LOL
Did YOU miss the part that the OP and his party left their table first, then asked to speak to a manager????

Once they left their table and another party was seated at it there isn't much the manager can do other than offer them the next available table. They surely can't ask another family to leave because OP reacted too quickly and basically "gave up" his table as he walked out before speaking to a manager.

Resorts we've stayed in: ASMox3, ASSp., ASMu, PC, CBRx3, CSR, PORx2, POFQ, WLx6, Poly, BC, YC, BWV, AKL(Jambo)x2, AKL (Kidani), SSR, OKW, SOGx2, Swan, Vero Beach!
Old 12-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #85
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Unless I'm reading the OP incorrectly, the OP left the table but their brother did not, and they were waiting for drink orders to be taken. They decided to leave after seeing a party that had been seated at least 10 minutes after them, approached for their drink order, when they had not yet been approached - not even when the brother was still sitting there.

Then, they decide that they are leaving. The manager offers to move them to a different server's station and they refuse.

Their problem is not with the table being given to another party. It is with the server's neglect to make a timely approach to them and take their drink order once they were seated.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #86
tinkerbellybutton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Unless I'm reading the OP incorrectly, the OP left the table but their brother did not, and they were waiting for drink orders to be taken. They decided to leave after seeing a party that had been seated at least 10 minutes after them, approached for their drink order, when they had not yet been approached - not even when the brother was still sitting there.

Then, they decide that they are leaving. The manager offers to move them to a different server's station and they refuse.

Their problem is not with the table being given to another party. It is with the server's neglect to make a timely approach to them and take their drink order once they were seated.

Obviously we are reading it differently.

Yes, the initial problem was that a server didn't make a timely approach, but that's not the reason for the additional 20 minute wait, as far as I can tell.

From what I read it seems that both the OP and the brother decide they are leaving. They ask for a manager after leaving their table, on their way out of the restaurant, to let them know why they are leaving. At that point their table was probably already assigned to the next party. I never read that the 20 minute wait was to "move them to a different server's section", not sure where you read that or if I just missed it. As far as I can tell the 20 minutes is for another table since they both left their table with the intention of leaving the restaurant. The thing to do would have been to get a manager involved before giving up the table to leave. If all tables are occupied there is nothing more the manager can do but offer the next available table, which was estimated to be around a 20 minute wait.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #87
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Yes, but since they didn't want to return, the 20 minute wait for another table was irrelevant. That was something the manager offered to try and get them to stay. It isn't the reason they left in the first place, and it doesn't shift the responsibility to them for leaving the table. They left because they observed the serving staff taking orders from people who had been seated after they had.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #88
tinkerbellybutton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, but since they didn't want to return, the 20 minute wait for another table was irrelevant. That was something the manager offered to try and get them to stay. It isn't the reason they left in the first place, and it doesn't shift the responsibility to them for leaving the table. They left because they observed the serving staff taking orders from people who had been seated after they had.
I understand completely what the initial issue was, and I am not trying to shift fault to the OP for the lack of service they received.

My comment about the 20 minute wait was directed at several people, one whom I quoted in my initial post, who kept commenting that the OP shouldn't have had to wait another 20 minutes for another table. While the issue the OP had about non existent service was definitely at the fault of the restaurant, the 20 minute wait that was offered to OP was because they decided to leave/abandon their table. I am not shifting the blame to anyone, but many posters were acting like the additional 20 minute wait was a "ridiculous" solution, but at that point there isn't much else that could be done if the table has been reassigned. The additional 20 minute wait was the result of the OP' s actions. But I do agree with you, if their intention was to leave then the 20 minute wait is irrelevant. However, they did go back another night so apparently they really did want to dine here. A lot of time could have been saved if the OP would have asked for a manager before "abandoning ship". Lol.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #89
MyTwoPrincesses
DIS Veteran

I won't go back to 'Ohana. It was fun, the food was fine, but I had an ADR back in 2011 at around 6:30 and was not seated for a full 50 minutes after ADR time, even though I checked in a bit early. We waited - it was free dining over Mardi Gras, so I didn't want to mess around trying to find somewhere else to eat with 3 kids ages 6 and under. Plus, I'm generally not the type to just leave. However, I would be very hesitant to go back.

I think you were completely reasonable to leave. I do get that ADRs aren't reservations. but there is no reason for them to seat people with no ADR first or to completely ignore you.

Now a Mom of THREE Princesses.
DD (8) , DD (6) DD (3)

1989: Offsite
Nov 2009: 7 days at Coronado Springs
March 2011: 8 days at POFQ
May 2013: 7 days at Art of Animation (Lion King Suites)
Can't stay away! Heading back to WDW in February 2014: 6 days at Port Orleans Riverside
MyTwoPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #90
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellybutton View Post
I understand completely what the initial issue was, and I am not trying to shift fault to the OP for the lack of service they received. My comment about the 20 minute wait was directed at several people, one whom I quoted in my initial post, who kept commenting that the OP shouldn't have had to wait another 20 minutes for another table. While the issue the OP had about non existent service was definitely at the fault of the restaurant, the 20 minute wait that was offered to OP was because they decided to leave/abandon their table. I am not shifting the blame to anyone, but many posters were acting like the additional 20 minute wait was a "ridiculous" solution, but at that point there isn't much else that could be done if the table has been reassigned. The additional 20 minute wait was the result of the OP' s actions. But I do agree with you, if their intention was to leave then the 20 minute wait is irrelevant. However, they did go back another night so apparently they really did want to dine here. A lot of time could have been saved if the OP would have asked for a manager before "abandoning ship". Lol.
I tend to agree, ask for a manager before you get up from your table. But the OP was angry and probably wasn't thinking 100% clearly maybe. Either way, a 20 minute additional wait is still ridiculous IMO. That's when the restaurant should have sat them at whatever table was empty. There are always empty tables. They could have bumped the next reservation waiting to the next table available. You don't make someone in this instance wait another 20 minutes to fix your screw up.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: