Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #31
Imhere
Mouseketeer

I'm sure I would have had a drink in my hand when seated, probably a Lapu Lapu.

When sitting around happy and chatting before dinner I wouldn't really look at a 10 minute wait as being the end of the world.

If I were in the least bit upset, I probably would have just found a manager and made sure I got immediate service.
Imhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #32
Jenny Sanders
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) As for overreacting, absolutely not.
2) But, being me,
. . . I would have asked for a manager
. . . I would have complained, politely, but strenuously
. . . I would have requested comp'd food or drinks
. . . I would have had the manager bring the server over for an apology
. . . THEN, I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN UP AND LEFT !
I would have done the same thing. Sorry you had such a crappy experience.
Jenny Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #33
AliceandAriel
part of your world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughR View Post
So last night I had a 8:20 reservation for 2 at Ohana. I try checking in 10 minutes early but there were at least two people who walked up--while people were in line waiting to check in--asking for availability. The line was maybe 7groups deep by the time it started moving again. I can't really fault the cast member for this one, she was just being nice and answering questions. According to our table print-out, we checked in at 8:23. We proceeded to wait until about 8:55 to be seated. I step away to use the restroom and tell my brother to ask for a coke if the waiter/waitress comes. I come back and sit down and my brother tells me no one has come by yet. About 10 minutes later a family of 3 is seated next to us to have their drink orders taken a couple of minutes later. So I express interest in leaving and my brother agrees. I tell a cast member I'm on my way out and she gets the manager. She offered me another table and says its probably another 20 minutes out because of the fireworks so I refuse. She gave me her card and told me to contact her if I have any interest in coming back during my trip. Tonight I'll be at Seaword so I'm not sure if I want to make the effort in finding transport from Pop where we're staying and Wednesday we have reservations at BoG. Thursday we leave early morning.

So did I overract? I don't like make cast members feeling bad no matter the issue but last night overall was just an unsatisfactory day.
Considering the 30-odd minutes it took you to get your seat, the 10 minutes that passed with no attention to you, then the suggestion to wait another 20 minutes for a different table? I would have walked out while waiting to be seated, forget the rest.

Not to mention the less-than-stellar reviews of the food quality there recently, and I'd say you probably dodged a bullet.

[May 2012 Off-Site WBC][May 2013 Off-Site WBC][October 2013 AoA LM][February 2014 AoA LK][October 2014 AKV-Kidani]
AliceandAriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #34
DoughR
Mouseketeer

So here's an update: I left Seaworld fairly early and decided to email the manager about trying Ohana again that day. I stated in the email that I would understand the lack of availability due to the short notice. I was using my last FP+ on Toy Story when I received an email from the manager saying that I can come back at 8pm and that they would be expecting me (I had said in the email that any time after 8 would be fine). It was 7:20 when we got out of DHS so we headed straight to the Polynesian. At 7:55, I walked up to the podium and the cast member greets me and hands me the buzzer without me saying a word. We were seated at about 8:40. The table ticket showed arriving at 7:07 (about the time I received the email according to my inbox) and being buzzed in at 8:35 so I don't exactly know how long we waited. I decided it was only fair to be patient after getting a table without a reservation so I didn't bring it up.

The dinner was going fairly well at first. The table ticket had notes about a "guest recovery" on it. The manager came by to chat for a bit while we were eating which was nice. She told us to enjoy because the meal was just getting started. The funny thing is that it kind of petered out after she left. We were brought options maybe two or three times after that. After a while the waitress came by with plates for dessert and asked if we were ready for it. I asked "don't you have shrimp?" and she responded "you didn't get shrimp?". I told her no and she spoke though a list of items asking what I tried or didn't get the chance to. Apparently we didn't get the noodles and veggies either. So we got those afterwards, just in time before dessert. The food itself was delicious aside from the grilled chicken and pork. They were dry to the point of being difficult to swallow.

After dessert a check was brought to us. From what I can tell as someone who has never used a dining plan, DDP credits were applied to our ticket so the meal was paid for and the ticket was asking just for a tip. I asked the waitress to just apply my TiW discount to the bill and charge me as normal. I just want good service and it was... adequate.
DoughR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #35
spodie
Mouseketeer

Based on what I have heard from others, and my own experience, the service at O'hana is not great. Where I have personally never had an awful experience with the service, it has always been lackluster at best (drinks not getting refilled, plates not cleared off for an unreasonable amount of time, etc). Based on this information, I wouldn't be surprised if you did have a server assigned to your table who had not given you any attention. Of course, it could have always been a miscommunication between servers, but the server reputation at O'hana does not inspire much confidence in me to take that train of thought.

I know these guys work hard and are probably just following the "move-as-many-people-through-as-possible" orders from the higher-ups, but paying these prices and getting treated like that is simply unacceptable. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, and hopefully O'hana will start getting it together soon!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #36
BrokeMack
Mouseketeer

You overreacted. It is never acceptable to walk out without speaking to management. How do you expect them to correct a problem they aren't aware of?
BrokeMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #37
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So last night I had a 8:20 reservation for 2 at Ohana. I try checking in 10 minutes early but there were at least two people who walked up--while people were in line waiting to check in--asking for availability. The line was maybe 7groups deep by the time it started moving again. I can't really fault the cast member for this one, she was just being nice and answering questions. According to our table print-out, we checked in at 8:23. We proceeded to wait until about 8:55 to be seated. I step away to use the restroom and tell my brother to ask for a coke if the waiter/waitress comes. I come back and sit down and my brother tells me no one has come by yet. About 10 minutes later a family of 3 is seated next to us to have their drink orders taken a couple of minutes later. So I express interest in leaving and my brother agrees. I tell a cast member I'm on my way out and she gets the manager. She offered me another table and says its probably another 20 minutes out because of the fireworks so I refuse. She gave me her card and told me to contact her if I have any interest in coming back during my trip. Tonight I'll be at Seaword so I'm not sure if I want to make the effort in finding transport from Pop where we're staying and Wednesday we have reservations at BoG. Thursday we leave early morning.

So did I overract? I don't like make cast members feeling bad no matter the issue but last night overall was just an unsatisfactory day.
That's rare. Give it another shot. It's one of the few Disney restaurants that hasn't been ruined (yet) by the dining plan
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #38
Kpskyman
Mouseketeer

Depending on your circumstance, it would be ok to leave. If your there with kids under 10 that have been doing parks all day, and are tired and hungry, I would have stayed, and requested a Mgr to come over. Rather then try to get my kids fed elsewhere I would have tried to get as much comp'd as I possibly could for getting overlooked. Especially if I had been there for an hour already.
Kpskyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #39
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Wow, I would not have waited 10 minutes for a drink order without asking for a manager.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #40
poison ivy
DIS Veteran

We were at Kona that same night 12/9 for the first dinner seating at 5pm. We didn't get called until 5:20 and there was a huge line for O'hana.

For a party of 2 we were rushing to get out of there around 7pm. We could see O'hana and it continued to have nothing but large crowds of people waiting. It was hectic at both restaurants that night.
poison ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #41
gdrj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So last night I had a 8:20 reservation for 2 at Ohana...

I have left restaurants for same reasons, but at Disney I would have probably found a cast member and spoken to a mgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
There is no need for such poor service. We all spend a lot of money to go and expect great service. I don't blame you a bit for leaving.
True no need but stuff happens

Quote:
1) As for overreacting, absolutely not.
2) But, being me,
. . . I would have asked for a manager Agreed
. . . I would have complained, politely, but strenuously Agreed
. . . I would have requested comp'd food or drinks I wouldn't demand I just want to eat and drink
. . . I would have had the manager bring the server over for an apology a bit obnoxious and uncalled for. Never a need to embarrass another person, I would let the mgr do their job and deal with server
. . . THEN, I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN UP AND LEFT Leave as you wish but see comment above about your actions.
Bottom line you want quality service especially at Disney due to expectations, with restaurants always busy, and with guests who may be a bit exhausted, cranky, over-stimulated, and don't control their kids; I don't envy the wait staff. With some restaurants there is never down time.
gdrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #42
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I don't think I have EVER been seated at Ohana within a half hour of checking in. I am not kidding. It is always busy and behind. Not saying that is acceptable, but apparently it is to me because I keep going back.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #43
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran

I think that anytime you try to get seated in a place that overlooks the fireworks at night you can and will have to wait... folks just sit at their tables and enjoy the fireworks.... we never schedule anything within an hour of the fireworks.... we have seen many people have to wait at California grill before because of this..

MAGGIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #44
deetman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
1) As for overreacting, absolutely not. 2) But, being me, . . . I would have asked for a manager . . . I would have complained, politely, but strenuously . . . I would have requested comp'd food or drinks . . . I would have had the manager bring the server over for an apology . . . THEN, I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN UP AND LEFT !
This smacks of vindictiveness. Speaking to a manager, strenuously, yes. The rest? It's just bullying.

Scott
deetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #45
BrokeMack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetman View Post
This smacks of vindictiveness. Speaking to a manager, strenuously, yes. The rest? It's just bullying.

Scott
Agreed. Always give management a chance to make it right. If they won't, then politely inform them that you won't be patronizing their establishment in the future then leave. No need to make a scene.
BrokeMack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: