Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
DoughR
Mouseketeer

I became fed up and walked out of Ohana. Was I being unreasonable?

So last night I had a 8:20 reservation for 2 at Ohana. I try checking in 10 minutes early but there were at least two people who walked up--while people were in line waiting to check in--asking for availability. The line was maybe 7groups deep by the time it started moving again. I can't really fault the cast member for this one, she was just being nice and answering questions. According to our table print-out, we checked in at 8:23. We proceeded to wait until about 8:55 to be seated. I step away to use the restroom and tell my brother to ask for a coke if the waiter/waitress comes. I come back and sit down and my brother tells me no one has come by yet. About 10 minutes later a family of 3 is seated next to us to have their drink orders taken a couple of minutes later. So I express interest in leaving and my brother agrees. I tell a cast member I'm on my way out and she gets the manager. She offered me another table and says its probably another 20 minutes out because of the fireworks so I refuse. She gave me her card and told me to contact her if I have any interest in coming back during my trip. Tonight I'll be at Seaword so I'm not sure if I want to make the effort in finding transport from Pop where we're staying and Wednesday we have reservations at BoG. Thursday we leave early morning.

So did I overract? I don't like make cast members feeling bad no matter the issue but last night overall was just an unsatisfactory day.
DoughR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
PrincessJo
Mouseketeer

Almost 40 minutes to be seated... more than 10 minutes just to order drinks... another 20 minutes for a different table...

I would have walked out too.
Nov 2010 (Caribbean Beach Resort) -- Nov 2012 (Villas at Wilderness Lodge) & Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) -- Jan 2014 (Boardwalk Inn) -- Sept 2014 Universal (Royal Pacific) -- Nov 2014 (PO French Quarter)

Magic, March 9-15, 2013 (Western Caribbean)
Dream, Nov 21-24, 2014 (Bahamas)

DH Me DS(17) Sophie Maggie
PrincessJo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Maybe, maybe not. We weren't there, so it's hard to tell. I think before leaving, I would've left one of us at the table and the other one find a CM to tell them you had been overlooked and needed a server. That might have gotten the ball rolling for you without having to miss your meal. It could easily have been a misunderstanding between servers thinking one or the other was taking care of you.

As to the amount of time it took to be seated, that is very common for Ohana and especially around fireworks time.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

No I don't think you overreacted. If you had been waiting patiently all that time and then see someone else just sit down and be served, you were totally in your rights to leave. I would have. The response from the manager was ridiculous! If after waiting all that time then have you wait another 20 minutes for more crappy service that is uncalled for. She needed to be kicking her staffs butt and do better customer service.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
DoughR
Mouseketeer

I'll probably give it another shot on a different trip.
DoughR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
themommy
Mouseketeer

There is no need for such poor service. We all spend a lot of money to go and expect great service. I don't blame you a bit for leaving.
themommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
ChiCat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJo View Post
Almost 40 minutes to be seated... more than 10 minutes just to order drinks... another 20 minutes for a different table... I would have walked out too.
Yeah no kidding. I don't think you overreacted at all. I would have probably been pretty hungry that late in the evening and that's a ridiculously long wait!

CBR 9/2011
best trip so far 12/2013
ChiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

No overreaction. I'd have left too. Besides you didn't miss much. Only restaurant on property we'd never go back to.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

I probably would have waited a little longer for drinks, as I am usually the suffer-in-silence type. However, I wouldn't have been happy with the initial 40 minute wait for the table. I think you were fine to walk out.

I had several opportunities to get 'Ohana for our upcoming trip, but, every time I started to click to confirm the reservation, I remembered all these bad reviews that I keep reading and clicked cancel instead.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Good for you. I still regret this horrific meal that I should have sent back and refused to pay for (not at Ohana, another restaurant).
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

1) As for overreacting, absolutely not.
2) But, being me,
. . . I would have asked for a manager
. . . I would have complained, politely, but strenuously
. . . I would have requested comp'd food or drinks
. . . I would have had the manager bring the server over for an apology
. . . THEN, I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN UP AND LEFT !
TheRustyScupper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I would have VERY politely gotten up and flagged down whoever was walking by (server,whatever) and asked them to take my order,b/c we would figure a server hadn't been assigned since no one showed up...that usually gets someones attention,and service follows quickly.
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
bastos
ValiantDad

My wife is normally the suffer in silence type - but I am the terse reminder of facts person.

We have received complimentary meals on more than a few occasions as a result of this. I never complain - nor do I let my emotions override. But I do point out curt un-debatable facts.

I love to argue. In my mind, you'd already wasted the time. Take a chance on a free meal - versus having to go somewhere else that might be available and pay full price there.
June 2007 - Pop Century
June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
May 2014 - Me and wife ALONE for Star Wars weekend at Beach Club
December 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

bastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
pandas138
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJo View Post
Almost 40 minutes to be seated... more than 10 minutes just to order drinks... another 20 minutes for a different table... I would have walked out too.
Me too! You had an ADR that should have been honored within a reasonable time. Never had a wait like this even Christmas week.
pandas138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

Nope. I'd have walked out too.

Ohana is my favorite Disney meal, but the service there is on par with Planet Hollywood's. Rude and slow.
sonofanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: