Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #61
luke
Señor Mejor

[QUOTE="It doesn't matter how old you are if your a teacher. I/QUOTE]

Said I'd leave but this is nonsense
Old 12-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #62
LeaversOnTour
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=luke;50262844]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "It doesn't matter how old you are if your a teacher. I/QUOTE

Said I'd leave but this is nonsense
How so? Apart from the toll on your brain, which lets face it there are far more professions which require equal if not more brain power than being a teacher. A 60 year old should be equally capable of being a teacher than a 30 year old. It doesn't not require you be physically fit at all. Unless your a PE teacher and even that's debatable.

My point is that unless your job requires you to be physically able to do it. Firefighters, police etc then you should get a "special" pension age, or more money because of it. It should be classed the same as any other profession. They are providing a National Service, putting their lives at risk to help others Teaching doesn't even come close to this.

Teachers aren't deserved of anymore than anyone else just because they teach.

October 2005 - International Drive
November 2006 International Drive
October 2007 - International Drive
November 2008 - Our Honeymoon Port Oleans Riverside/I-Drive/Animal Kingdom Lodge
December 2009 Old Key west/Idrive Our DD's first trip (9 months old)3 weeks of bliss
January 2011 Old Key west/Idrive Our Other DD's first trip (just 3 months old) 4 weeks of bliss
January 2012 I-Drive/Old Key west 4 Weeks of bliss
January 2013 I Drive/Old Key west - Just us and the kids, DD Number 3's first trip 4 weeks of family fun
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #63
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

*sigh* why do all of these threads end up teacher-bashing?

Most of us are passionate people who love kids and strive to bring out the best in the next generation. Most people I know say that they could never be a teacher as it is such a demanding profession and has been identified as one of the most stressful jobs, second only to Nursing.

I don't want a better deal than others - I just want the deal that I signed up for when I qualified to teach.

The reasons I decided to take industrial action for the FIRST TIME in a 20 year career:
Would you roll over and accept these CHANGES to your pay and conditions?
Pensionable age increased by 8 years.
50% increase in pension contributions.
Smaller pensions.
Longer working hours, same salary.
Shorter holidays, same salary.
No limit on working hours.
Forced to cover for absent colleagues whilst still doing your own job.
2 year pay freeze.
Performance related pay when your job's 'outcome'... isn't measurable.
Increased workload.
Unqualified (and cheaper) staff taking your jobs.
No entitlement to lunch breaks.

Me neither.
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

Last edited by joolz1910; 12-14-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #64
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz1910 View Post
*sigh* why do all of these threads end up teacher-bashing? Most of us are passionate people who love kids and strive to bring out the best in the next generation. Most people I know say that they could never be a teacher as it is such a demanding profession and has been identified as one of the most stressful jobs, second only to Nursing. I don't want a better deal than others - I just want the deal that I signed up for when I qualified to teach. The reasons I decided to take industrial action for the FIRST TIME in a 20 year career: Would you roll over and accept these CHANGES to your pay and conditions? Pensionable age increased by 8 years. 50% increase in pension contributions. Smaller pensions. Longer working hours, same salary. Shorter holidays, same salary. No limit on working hours. Forced to cover for absent colleagues whilst still doing your own job. 2 year pay freeze. Performance related pay when your job's 'outcome'... isn't measurable. Increased workload. Unqualified (and cheaper) staff taking your jobs. No entitlement to lunch breaks. Me neither.
To be fair a lot is these points people in the private sector have been dealings with since the days Gordon Brown was chancellor. Teachers have been very very lucky to keep there excellent pension until now the private sector mostly lost theirs in the late 90s. I'm not saying teachers done deserve pensions or shouldn't be upset at the changes but they have had a very goof run of final salary pensions a good 15 years after most private sector ones were taken away. To me the changes now are evening out the playing field.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #65
joolz1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
To be fair a lot is these points people in the private sector have been dealings with since the days Gordon Brown was chancellor. Teachers have been very very lucky to keep there excellent pension until now the private sector mostly lost theirs in the late 90s. I'm not saying teachers done deserve pensions or shouldn't be upset at the changes but they have had a very goof run of final salary pensions a good 15 years after most private sector ones were taken away. To me the changes now are evening out the playing field.
I know that the private sector has been shafted but the current government is trying to pitch us against each other to deflect from the real issues. I will continue to fight for the pension that was promised me when I qualified. I would say that the private sector did traditionally benefit from the prospect of higher salaries, company cars, bonuses etc - things which were compensated for by our pensions.

We shouldn't be happy that both sectors are losing out.
2009 DLRP (DLH)
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)

Old 12-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #66
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Not teacher bashing Juliette but some of us would snap your hand off for a deal like that.
I earn approx a third of what I did 10 years ago, no prospect of ever retiring, the only way I can give up working is thru ill health.
Just same as teachers I love what I do. We would all like to go back to what we signed up for but times have changed.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Old 12-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #67
joolz1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
Not teacher bashing Juliette but some of us would snap your hand off for a deal like that.
I earn approx a third of what I did 10 years ago, no prospect of ever retiring, the only way I can give up working is thru ill health.
Just same as teachers I love what I do. We would all like to go back to what we signed up for but times have changed.
I know Wayne, but you can't blame us for trying to fight it.
I will be working until I am 68 which horrifies me lol.

Anyway, to get back on topic...I fully support parents taking out their kids and wish I could do it too!
2009 DLRP (DLH)
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)

Old 12-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #68
luke
Señor Mejor

Quote:
I fully support parents taking out their kids and wish I could do it too!
My last here is to agree with this

Old 12-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #69
joolz1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
My last here is to agree with this

2009 DLRP (DLH)
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)

Old 12-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #70
sandshal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin harrison View Post
Don't call me a troll Luke. I mean it. Sick of tired of teachers complaining about their lot. They get huge breaks and don't give me that nonsense about it's all spent marking or working long hours. Millions of people work very long days on minimum pay with next to no pension. The very same people who cannot afford to pay the prices charged in Summer holidays etc. I'm a manager and Xmas is very busy for our company and I spent 50 hours last week and am contracted for 37.5 - I get 2 days off at xmas, but you know what? That was my choice and I love my job. So the next time my kids schools strike, I'll be charging the school or authorities if they dare fine me for taking my kids out, if I ever do it. Teachers should be like certain service and unable to strike. Before anyone defends teachers, I will say this - you do an amazing job. If you don't have kids, you have no valid opinion either, as you have no idea of cost implications of these rules.
Well said that man!
Offsite Disneyland Paris 1998, Davy Crockett Ranch, Disneyland Paris 2000, Sheraton Vistana Villages, Florida June 2003, Newport Bay Hotel, Disneyland Paris 2004, Manors North, Westridge 2006, Vistana Villages, Gulf Coast & HRH Oct 2007, Manors North, Westridge, Portofino Bay & HRH August 2008, Ginn Reunion & RPR August 2009, RCA NYC & Tuscany villa July 2011, Tuscany Villa & PBH July 2013, July/Aug 2014 NYC, Indian Creek Villa, HRH then back to NYC,
Oct 2014 week at Indian Oasis, Indian Creek

Old 12-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #71
StitchMad
Mouseketeer

My parents and I are going out for an Indian this evening. I'm not sure Wayne will be able to relax with such fierce debate in this thread.

Tweet in case of emergency.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #72
joolz1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchMad View Post
My parents and I are going out for an Indian this evening. I'm not sure Wayne will be able to relax with such fierce debate in this thread.

Tweet in case of emergency.
lol, enjoy the curry Matt, Wayne and Karen. We are getting a takeaway curry, so I will be bowing out now x
2009 DLRP (DLH)
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)

Old 12-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #73
Portugal1000
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know Wayne, but you can't blame us for trying to fight it.
I will be working until I am 68 which horrifies me lol.

Anyway, to get back on topic...I fully support parents taking out their kids and wish I could do it too!
Wont the rest of us be working till we are 68? When I started working I thought I would be retiring at 60 and getting a state pension then. To be honest I dont think it will be long until anyone who has access to any type of private/work pension will no longer qualify for a state pension or it will be means tested. The country has run out of money so none of us are going to get what we originally thought we would. However, there is still no other place in the world that I would rather live. When I think how lucky we are compared to billions of other people, it kind of puts everything in to perspective.
Dec 08 - All Star Sports, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World, 21 Nights
August 09 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 17 Nights
Nov 09 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 15 Nights
Dec 10 - Quality Suites,Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Homewood Suites, 18 Nights
August 2011 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 19 Nights
July 2012 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 21 Nights - Hard Rock Hotel, 1 Night
July 2013 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 22 Nights - Universal Royal Pacific Hotel, 1 Night
August 2014 - Tradewinds Resort, 4 Nights - Universal Royal Pacific, 1 Night - Wyndham Bonnet Creek 18 Nights
Old 12-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #74
kevin harrison
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
We will agree to disagree but I'm gonna leave it there

Luke, you need to respect other people can have opinions without being a troll. I have far better things to do with my life that troll.

My points are valid. Why should Teachers be treated any differently to anyone else? they get hell of a good deal with pensions and time away from work.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #75
kevin harrison
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Do you feel the same way about Fire Fighters and Prison Warders, NHS workers, the Police? They are also striking or campaigning because the government has raised their retirement ages, or is your disgust reserved only for the teaching profession?

By your own logic, I could easily say: If you don't teach, you have no valid opinion either, as you have no idea about teaching. But I won't because that would be childish.
None of these get how many weeks leave a year?

Show me where I said disgust?

I did say Teachers do a great job...

All of our retirement ages have risen? or is it only unfair to penalise Public workers?

Many need a taste of the real world..
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: