Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #46
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz1910 View Post
I am a parent and I teach in a secondary school. I believe that parents should be able to take up to 10 days during term-time in any academic year and I think that the new measures introduced to curb term-time holidays are punitive and pointless. 10 days absence is hardly likely to ruin a child's life chances!
I agree with you

I'm neither here nor there for the most part on this topic because I believe this is such a personal and individual decision.

What I do know is that holidays are not the primary reason for most absences in the classroom through the year. Sickness by definition is very subjective. I know that some parents keep home a perfectly well child 'just in case' at the first sign that something might be wrong and while many sick days are justified, just like we see often in the workplace, a sick day does not necessarily mean sick ....

My daughter has fewer than 5 sick days on her school record since 2005. I therefore do not feel guilty about the years that she has had between 5 and at most 10 school days off for a vacation. Up until this year I was unable to take more than a week off during the summer holidays so that left me with Easter and October, to bridge onto a school break, or just to take her out whenever.

Now in secondary school, by DD's own choice, we have decided not to take a term time vacation but have offset the cost of the flights somewhat by taking her out for the last 2.5 days of the school year. In our case, I felt it was worth discussing this with DD. She's well aware that missing school can not only mean catching up afterwards, but also missing out on fun activities which may be planned by the school long after a trip has been booked by us. I think it's important for her to understand the balance between being responsible and making decisions taking all factors into account, including the cost. These are basic life skills. I know we all argue that Disney is educational and I agree; but teaching our children about how to evaluate a decision is also educational

You have to do what is best for you and for your child/children
Old 12-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #47
kevin harrison
DIS Veteran

Deleted post

Last edited by kevin harrison; 12-13-2013 at 06:53 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #48
kevin harrison
DIS Veteran

The next time we can afford to go to Orlando, I will have no issue at all with taking my kids out of school, if they are still there !

I am the parent and decide what my kids can and cannot do.

You know how many holidays I use up on terms time days off or when teachers decide to have a strike because they are so hard done to?

Maybe I'll start charging school every time they close down for a strike.

How is this ruling fair on less well off families that can afford to pay the premiums during summer holidays?
Old 12-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #49
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin harrison View Post
The next time we can afford to go to Orlando, I will have no issue at all with taking my kids out of school, if they are still there !

I am the parent and decide what my kids can and cannot do.

You know how many holidays I use up on terms time days off or when teachers decide to have a strike because they are so hard done to?

Maybe I'll start charging school every time they close down for a strike.

How is this ruling fair on less well off families that can afford to pay the premiums during summer holidays?
Kevin, teachers don't make the rules about terrm-time holidays - it's the current government's decision. It is also the same government that teachers are trying (and failing) to negotiate with over how they are changing the terms and conditions of our contracts. When I strike, I lose a day's pay. I wear my political allegiance on my sleeve and fully support the Trade Unions, so I'll get off my soapbox!

We are on the same side - many teachers are also parents.
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

Old 12-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #50
joolz1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post

What I do know is that holidays are not the primary reason for most absences in the classroom through the year. Sickness by definition is very subjective. I know that some parents keep home a perfectly well child 'just in case' at the first sign that something might be wrong and while many sick days are justified, just like we see often in the workplace, a sick day does not necessarily mean sick ....
This is absolutely true. There is such a huge detrimental impact on a child's progress when the child is absent on a regular basis. This is much more of a problem than a family taking a child out for a one-off holiday.
2009 DLRP (DLH)
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)

Old 12-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #51
luke
Señor Mejor

Quote:
Kevin, teachers don't make the rules about terrm-time holidays - it's the current government's decision. It is also the same government that teachers are trying (and failing) to negotiate with over how they are changing the terms and conditions of our contracts. When I strike, I lose a day's pay. I wear my political allegiance on my sleeve and fully support the Trade Unions, so I'll get off my soapbox! We are on the same side - many teachers are also parents.
Don't feed to troll, Joolz

Old 12-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #52
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

Oh dear another heated discussion about "in or out of school". I have done it with my daughter since she was 4 and she has obtained top grades so I cannot comment on the downsides.
Saying silly comments about "you chose to be a teacher"?? Yes they did like I chose to be a nurse. Thats a good profession and like all jobs they have rules to follow.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #53
kevin harrison
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
Don't feed to troll, Joolz

Don't call me a troll Luke.

I mean it.

Sick of tired of teachers complaining about their lot. They get huge breaks and don't give me that nonsense about it's all spent marking or working long hours.

Millions of people work very long days on minimum pay with next to no pension.

The very same people who cannot afford to pay the prices charged in Summer holidays etc.

I'm a manager and Xmas is very busy for our company and I spent 50 hours last week and am contracted for 37.5 - I get 2 days off at xmas, but you know what? That was my choice and I love my job.

So the next time my kids schools strike, I'll be charging the school or authorities if they dare fine me for taking my kids out, if I ever do it.

Teachers should be like certain service and unable to strike.

Before anyone defends teachers, I will say this - you do an amazing job.

If you don't have kids, you have no valid opinion either, as you have no idea of cost implications of these rules.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #54
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Oh good grief. No teachers were whinging about their workload or holidays, just saying they were in the same situation of being tied to term dates. And I'm not sure how's it's impossible for people without kids to understand the price difference between school holidays and term time holidays...
Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #55
joolz1910

Quote:
Don't call me a troll Luke.

I mean it.

Sick of tired of teachers complaining about their lot. They get huge breaks and don't give me that nonsense about it's all spent marking or working long hours.

Millions of people work very long days on minimum pay with next to no pension.

The very same people who cannot afford to pay the prices charged in Summer holidays etc.

I'm a manager and Xmas is very busy for our company and I spent 50 hours last week and am contracted for 37.5 - I get 2 days off at xmas, but you know what? That was my choice and I love my job.

So the next time my kids schools strike, I'll be charging the school or authorities if they dare fine me for taking my kids out, if I ever do it.

Teachers should be like certain service and unable to strike.

Before anyone defends teachers, I will say this - you do an amazing job.

If you don't have kids, you have no valid opinion either, as you have no idea of cost implications of these rules.
Do you feel the same way about Fire Fighters and Prison Warders, NHS workers, the Police? They are also striking or campaigning because the government has raised their retirement ages, or is your disgust reserved only for the teaching profession?

By your own logic, I could easily say: If you don't teach, you have no valid opinion either, as you have no idea about teaching. But I won't because that would be childish.
2009 DLRP (DLH)
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)

Old 12-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #56
luke
Señor Mejor

Quote:
Don't call me a troll Luke. I mean it. Sick of tired of teachers complaining about their lot. They get huge breaks and don't give me that nonsense about it's all spent marking or working long hours. Millions of people work very long days on minimum pay with next to no pension. The very same people who cannot afford to pay the prices charged in Summer holidays etc. I'm a manager and Xmas is very busy for our company and I spent 50 hours last week and am contracted for 37.5 - I get 2 days off at xmas, but you know what? That was my choice and I love my job. So the next time my kids schools strike, I'll be charging the school or authorities if they dare fine me for taking my kids out, if I ever do it. Teachers should be like certain service and unable to strike. Before anyone defends teachers, I will say this - you do an amazing job. If you don't have kids, you have no valid opinion either, as you have no idea of cost implications of these rules.
Possibly the most oxymoronic post I've ever seen
Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #57
joolz1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
Possibly the most oxymoronic post I've ever seen

To be fair, Kevin isn't usually trollish.
2009 DLRP (DLH)
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)

Old 12-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #58
luke
Señor Mejor

Quote:
To be fair, Kevin isn't usually trollish.
We will agree to disagree but I'm gonna leave it there

Old 12-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #59
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

Good heated debates are good, but this is way too personnel now.Its not fun to read anymore.Can we close it please
Old 12-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #60
LeaversOnTour
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Do you feel the same way about Fire Fighters and Prison Warders, NHS workers, the Police? They are also striking or campaigning because the government has raised their retirement ages, or is your disgust reserved only for the teaching profession?

By your own logic, I could easily say: If you don't teach, you have no valid opinion either, as you have no idea about teaching. But I won't because that would be childish.
The same logic regarding pensions cannot be applied to the above professions, with the exception of Nursing. The other professions require fitness. To expect a 65 year old man/woman to be as fit as a 40 year old is both ridiculous and dangerous! Would you want a team of 65 year old firefighters running in to you house that's burning down or a team of 30 year olds who are far less likely to die of a heart attack before they get your child out. Same with Prison wardens and police officers.

It doesn't matter how old you are if your a teacher. I personally do not think teachers deserve any better packages than the rest of nation, with the exception of the above. Because you chose to do this job rather than drive a train doesn't mean you need more money than him/her to survive when your 80!

October 2005 - International Drive
November 2006 International Drive
October 2007 - International Drive
November 2008 - Our Honeymoon Port Oleans Riverside/I-Drive/Animal Kingdom Lodge
December 2009 Old Key west/Idrive Our DD's first trip (9 months old)3 weeks of bliss
January 2011 Old Key west/Idrive Our Other DD's first trip (just 3 months old) 4 weeks of bliss
January 2012 I-Drive/Old Key west 4 Weeks of bliss
January 2013 I Drive/Old Key west - Just us and the kids, DD Number 3's first trip 4 weeks of family fun
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: