Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 04:56 AM   #31
LeaversOnTour
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath2003 View Post
Surprised the mods have kept this open since schools have no option to authorise any holiday requests...
Wow - That's massively incorrect!

Head teachers have 10 days that they can authorise for "exceptional" circumstances. It is down to the head teacher to determine what is considered "exceptional".

As I said my daughters head teacher has authorised us taking our daughter out for 8 days and has used her discretion due to the reasons behind this particular trip

October 2005 - International Drive
November 2006 International Drive
October 2007 - International Drive
November 2008 - Our Honeymoon Port Oleans Riverside/I-Drive/Animal Kingdom Lodge
December 2009 Old Key west/Idrive Our DD's first trip (9 months old)3 weeks of bliss
January 2011 Old Key west/Idrive Our Other DD's first trip (just 3 months old) 4 weeks of bliss
January 2012 I-Drive/Old Key west 4 Weeks of bliss
January 2013 I Drive/Old Key west - Just us and the kids, DD Number 3's first trip 4 weeks of family fun
Old 12-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #32
luke
Señor Mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbcam View Post
Sorry but you chose to be a teacher knowing what your holidays would be. It's your job, you get paid to be there. The parents of kids going to your school may not have options of when they take holidays and sorry but you have no say in weather they take holidays or not.
Sorry but you chose to have children and be a parent knowing what school holidays would be...
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #33
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

I can see both sides to this debate.Teachers have chosen to be teachers and parents decided to be parents.We all knew what we were letting ourselves in for (well most of us!). The problem is parents do not like being told by politicians what they can and can't do with their own children.Every parent has a unique set of circumstances which are important to them and only they understand,and should be respected by teachers and Disers alike!,it can become very emotional. Most responsible parents would not take their children out of school if they thought it was going to be detrimental to their future.That decision has now been taken away, and parents see it as being dictated to.Teachers jobs are tough and it probably does make for extra work for them.
Lets be respectful of everyones own opinion.What goes on in your house only you can fully understand
Old 12-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #34
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDaleRule View Post
The problem is parents do not like being told by politicians what they can and can't do with their own children.Every parent has a unique set of circumstances which are important to them and only they understand,and should be respected by teachers and Disers alike!,it can become very emotional. Most responsible parents would not take their children out of school if they thought it was going to be detrimental to their future.That decision has now been taken away, and parents see it as being dictated to.Teachers jobs are tough and it probably does make for extra work for them.
Well said
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #35
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaversOnTour View Post
Wow - That's massively incorrect!

Head teachers have 10 days that they can authorise for "exceptional" circumstances. It is down to the head teacher to determine what is considered "exceptional".
What I said was perfectly true - schools may not authorise time out of school for the purpose of a family holiday. All references to this has been removed from the regulations - it is therefore not possible for schools to authorise "holiday" requests. The only leave that can be authorised is under exceptional circumstances.

I really need to wade out of this one because it is becoming fraught with emotion for many parents. Unless the law changes back, I think the next year or two will be interesting if families continue to travel during term time.

Last edited by Kath2003; 12-11-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #36
marcgiu
Marcgiu

It’s obvious most parents entrust the education of our children to the schools and the teachers , want the best for them and obviously are keen for them to get the best results possible.

What I don't get though is that by removing Children from school during term time for a family vacation (and TBH I'm talking about people who take them out for more than a week) Parents are basically dismissing the classroom standards and structure and indicating that they know better than the teachers what is right for their child’s education.

I realise that there are sometimes emergencies and exceptional circumstances etc but anything more than a week during school for a regular family holiday is excessive and hampers the teachers ability to do their job.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #37
cjbcam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post

Sorry but you chose to have children and be a parent knowing what school holidays would be...
Sorry but I had children so I could raise them. Not be dictated to on how to raise them. They are not paid to be at school and I am fully capable of helping them catch up. And many schools have different holidays so no when you have kids you don't know the exact holidays and don't really care actually. To put teachers and students on equal ground is ridiculous. We take our kids out when we get holidays if it happens to be when schools out great if not too bad.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #38
flortlebap
Disneyiac!

Quote:
What about home schooled children? Or private schools? Not everyone wants to stick to the same timetable, you know...
August 1993 - Off Site / August 1996 - CBR / August 1999 - POR / September 2004 - POP / October 2006 - POR /October 2009 - HNY / October 2010 - NPB / May 2012 - CSR / July 2013 - AKL / September 2014 - YC
Old 12-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #39
luke
Señor Mejor

I'm gonna make Wayne's job easier and stay out of this.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #40
lolainkent
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The problem with that kind of thinking is that the rules have changed over the years. Holidays were sort of okay, then limited to 10 days max, then only for "exceptional circumstances." When I had my eldest 8 years ago I couldn't have predicted that we'd be denied (today!) our request to take our kids out of school for 5 days to spend Christmas in Australia with family. I made a request to take my kids out of school in November of 2012 for 4 days, which was approved no problem.

So sure, you could plan to never take them out of school but the rules have changed and will likely keep changing. You can't go into parenthood thinking "I can only take XX days off at XX time of year" because the government/council will likely change their minds by the time the kid gets to school!

I like to travel, so I started a blog!
The Wanderlust Trap
Old 12-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #41
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

At the end of the day parents have a legal obligation to ensure their children are educated whether they like it or not. If they choose to send them to a state school then they have to abide by the rules laid down by government in relation to attendance.

Whether you agree with this or not it is fact.

Please let keep this to the point asked and not turn it into a personal debate.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Old 12-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #42
Portugal1000
DIS Veteran

I just think its a shame that it will families who cant afford to go away in school holidays will either miss out or be labeled as bad parents for taking their children out of school. I am incredibly lucky to be able to go in summer school holidays but I have friends who would struggle to afford a week in England a caravan in August. Even those prices are 3 times more expensive than say the second week of June. I also think that there are so many people that work hard all year and then to be told you can't have a holiday at the only time you can afford. Do people really think they should just go without? I had to take my son out for one day in October as we went to Italy in half term. It was a genuine mistake on my part as I thought the last day of term was an inset day. The head of year called me to say they couldn't authorise holiday but thought that it was fantastic that my son had the opportunity to visit Pompeii, Naples and mount Vesuvius. He said all that would happen would be at the end of year the governors would look at all the unauthorised days off and would then ask each head of year about the child involved. From that conversation they would decide if any action would be taken but by action he meant a letter might be sent reminding parents of the policy. I never planned to ask for holiday in secondary school and I won't in the future. I will just have to check the school calendar more carefully next time!!
Dec 08 - All Star Sports, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World, 21 Nights
August 09 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 17 Nights
Nov 09 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 15 Nights
Dec 10 - Quality Suites,Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Homewood Suites, 18 Nights
August 2011 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 19 Nights
July 2012 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 21 Nights - Hard Rock Hotel, 1 Night
July 2013 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 22 Nights - Universal Royal Pacific Hotel, 1 Night
August 2014 - Tradewinds Resort, 4 Nights - Universal Royal Pacific, 1 Night - Wyndham Bonnet Creek 18 Nights
Old 12-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #43
mikkithemouse
Earning My Ears

I'm probably going to get flamed here, but my cousin is coming out of school for a week and she's going to miss her year six sats. It's not an option to re-schedule the holiday, so she just won't do them. I feel really guilty about it, but she deserves to go to Florida, and she will probably learn whilst over there anyway.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #44
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

I am a parent and I teach in a secondary school. I believe that parents should be able to take up to 10 days during term-time in any academic year and I think that the new measures introduced to curb term-time holidays are punitive and pointless. 10 days absence is hardly likely to ruin a child's life chances!
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

Old 12-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #45
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkithemouse View Post
I'm probably going to get flamed here, but my cousin is coming out of school for a week and she's going to miss her year six sats. It's not an option to re-schedule the holiday, so she just won't do them. I feel really guilty about it, but she deserves to go to Florida, and she will probably learn whilst over there anyway.
You may get flamed but not by me,
There are a lot of schools now that don't even sit the year 6 sats!! So they can't be that important, yes they help understand where a child is at, but I personally believe they are pointless and stressful for the child! While only there to make the school look good.

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: