Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
cjbcam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
I take my children out for 3wks a year and will continue to do so,
Ill happily pay the fines as its nowhere close to what the prices of school holiday are!

Having a hubby in the forces dictates very strongly when we can spend time as a family and so its important to us,
Also with me being ill all last summer and spending no time with the children unless they visited me in hospital or sat with me in bed at home out holiday this October was very important to us!

I have now been diagnosed with a very serious illness which means I can get very sick at any time and the doctors can not tell me what my time line is.
So with that in mind its even MORE important to spend time with the children where they are not thinking about when I'm next in hospital or when daddy is next away.

I honestly believe it should be up to the parents wether they take a trip I school time or not! It's the parents who being up the children pay for everything for them, I don't understand why the school should get a day in something as important as family time, unless of course its right over GCSE times.

We're actually going again in May and would never normally do 2 trips in one year taking the boys out of school,
but last year was tough with me having chemo,and operations then the boys having the house invaded twice a day for 3 months while nurses came in twice a day for my treatment.then. We get posted in january so have to move house as dh needs to do a 9 month posting in narcotics and learn the job he will be doing in the US, plus he is going away for 5 months before the trip & its the twins birthday,
So as they are only 9,9,11 were making the most of it.
Hope you end up getting better. I agree 100%. While school is important family time is more important. Especially when a mom or dad might not be well for long. As long as the kids are keeping up with school or catch up the school should have NO say. I hope you make a ton of happy memories on your trip.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

I will start this by saying I have daughter in year 1 so do have some experience in this area

I honestly do not understand by people are so surprised by the change in rules and fines for removing children from school.

We all know when we have children that they are going to have to attend school from age 4 to 18 and with that comes restrictions on when we can have holidays. This is the law in this country at the moment.

Family time is important but they doesn't equal a right to a holiday abroad. As a child we only had a holiday abroad every 3-5 years - all others were Cornwall or the Channel Islands. Our DD is extremely lucky and we make sure she knows it

Our DD is missing the last half day of term before Xmas but it is the only day of the year I would even contemplate her missing. Even a couple of days off sick results in massive amounts of catch up work so I wouldn't willingly put her under pressure to have to catch because we have been on holiday.

There should be exceptions for example with jobs where parents are told when they can have leave with no flexibility however they should be the exception rather than the rule.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #18
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

For me its down to the individual child, how much illness time do they have off? how easy do they catch up? family circumstances etc.

We took our Son out for 2 weeks every year in Junior school + his 1st year at High school, he was the youngest in the class yet the top in every subject, don't recall 1 day off for illness in all his schooling, work was taken away with us and very easily caught up. Now he is half way thru an English Language degree I am 100% sure we did the right thing.

For us school was only part of his education, family time and holidays were also a massive contribution, there is no way a classroom can teach you about drugs or a Van Gough painting, we took him to Amsterdam for that, Seeing the original Winnie the pooh toys & the Statue of Liberty in New York was mind boggling for a 9 year old.

There is no perfect solution, each parent must do what they think is right for their child and live with what they decide.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Old 12-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #19
luke
Señor Mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise79 View Post
I will start this by saying I have daughter in year 1 so do have some experience in this area I honestly do not understand by people are so surprised by the change in rules and fines for removing children from school. We all know when we have children that they are going to have to attend school from age 4 to 18 and with that comes restrictions on when we can have holidays. This is the law in this country at the moment. Family time is important but they doesn't equal a right to a holiday abroad. As a child we only had a holiday abroad every 3-5 years - all others were Cornwall or the Channel Islands. Our DD is extremely lucky and we make sure she knows it Our DD is missing the last half day of term before Xmas but it is the only day of the year I would even contemplate her missing. Even a couple of days off sick results in massive amounts of catch up work so I wouldn't willingly put her under pressure to have to catch because we have been on holiday. There should be exceptions for example with jobs where parents are told when they can have leave with no flexibility however they should be the exception rather than the rule.
Possibly the most reasonable post I've seen on this

Old 12-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #20
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowrida View Post
When our children were school age (which admittedly was some time ago) we were given a hard time if we wanted to take the girls out of school for holiday . .
Many schools still give a hard time about this. Bottom line for me is I am the parent. I will decide.

Giving me a hard time is not going to change my mind.

FWIW, DD is now in first year secondary school. Last session a classmate was off for 2 weeks to go to WDW. When she returned DD was asked to be paired with her and help her catch up. It was holding DD back. I sent a note in and said, basically, find someone else to help the kid.

It cuts both ways. If I take my child out (and I have done over the years) it is ME who is responsible for missed work being caught up, not the teachers and not other pupils. If you're fine with that, I think less folk have a right to get their back up about it
Old 12-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #21
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise79 View Post
I will start this by saying I have daughter in year 1 so do have some experience in this area

I honestly do not understand by people are so surprised by the change in rules and fines for removing children from school.

I can't see anywhere on this thread people expressing surprise over the fine,only their opinion.I think everyone is well informed and up to speed here.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
marcgiu
Marcgiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Many schools still give a hard time about this. Bottom line for me is I am the parent. I will decide.

Giving me a hard time is not going to change my mind.

FWIW, DD is now in first year secondary school. Last session a classmate was off for 2 weeks to go to WDW. When she returned DD was asked to be paired with her and help her catch up. It was holding DD back. I sent a note in and said, basically, find someone else to help the kid.

It cuts both ways. If I take my child out (and I have done over the years) it is ME who is responsible for missed work being caught up, not the teachers and not other pupils. If you're fine with that, I think less folk have a right to get their back up about it
Thats maybe a little harsh on the school - they sound like they are trying to accomodate children being out on hols during school time by helping them get back up to speed. It also sounds a good way of getting children to help their classmates
Old 12-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #23
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgiu View Post
Thats maybe a little harsh on the school - they sound like they are trying to accomodate children being out on hols during school time by helping them get back up to speed. It also sounds a good way of getting children to help their classmates
I don't have an issue with classmates helping each other. I had an issue when DD came home with a note explaining that she was not progressing to the next level in a couple of subjects as she was helping someone catch up, blah blah blah. If it had not been holding her back, no problem.

But not at someone else's expense. Or at least not at mine
Old 12-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #24
sarah4291
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbcam View Post

There is a couple major differences the number one being the teachers are PAID to be there it's their JOB. Number two I would have a hard time being dictated to about what I can do with MY children. Unless you are the one raising them and paying for them (including paying for their holidays) then you should have NO say.
As a teacher I do kind of have to disagree with you! Yes I am paid to be there but it still means I have to pay a ridiculous amount to go on holiday (not through choice)! And yes I am aware I get huge quantities of holiday - yet during all of them prices are hiked! Yes I have a decent enough wage but its still not the best in the world and doesn't mean I can afford a Disney holiday every summer! I can also vouch for the fact that for some children taking 2 weeks out really can make a huge difference and I am only reception teacher! I have on a couple occasions had to move children down a group because even in that short time their friends have over taken them! So yes, some children it will not effect (especially in times like the last 2 weeks of term) but other chn it can have quite a significant effect on!!! You will also get some parents blaming the teacher for not making enough progress!!!

Sorry if this sounds ranty but people always seem to have it in for teachers!

Oh and I really don't have any qualms with taking holidays for special circumstances such as illnesses and weddings!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #25
LeaversOnTour
Mouseketeer

My daughter started reception in September and we are taking her out for the first 8 days of the January term.

The school have authorised it due to exceptional circumstances, but we would have taken her out anyway. She is a bright girl who is ahead of many of her class mates. I do not believe that she will "suffer" in her education for missing this time. But the school will also not supply work for her to do while she is away.

My kids mean everything to me I would never do anything that I thought would hold them back. No amount of saving is worth that. But my Husband works hard and our holiday is one of the few family times we get, so I will make the most of them.

We will also work very hard with her to make sure she doesn't fall behind.

I agree with the lady who asked the school not to hold her child back, while its nice to encourage peers to help each other, it certainly shouldn't be done so to the detriment of another childs education.

October 2005 - International Drive
November 2006 International Drive
October 2007 - International Drive
November 2008 - Our Honeymoon Port Oleans Riverside/I-Drive/Animal Kingdom Lodge
December 2009 Old Key west/Idrive Our DD's first trip (9 months old)3 weeks of bliss
January 2011 Old Key west/Idrive Our Other DD's first trip (just 3 months old) 4 weeks of bliss
January 2012 I-Drive/Old Key west 4 Weeks of bliss
January 2013 I Drive/Old Key west - Just us and the kids, DD Number 3's first trip 4 weeks of family fun
Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #26
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Surprised the mods have kept this open since schools have no option to authorise any holiday requests...
Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #27
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath2003 View Post
Surprised the mods have kept this open since schools have no option to authorise any holiday requests...
Unless posts go against the forum guidelines there is no reason to close it.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Old 12-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #28
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath2003 View Post
Schools do still have the option to authorise as the head authorised our trip we just took in November, for both schools that my youngest attend and the middle school my oldest attends.

Not every school had to go with the choice to have decisions taken away from the head, it was a choice that some school's have went with.
My sister is a teacher of 14/15 yr olds and her school has decided to keep authorisation in house, so the head will have the final decision after talking to the child's teacher, and looking at attendance etc.

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #29
cjbcam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah4291 View Post

As a teacher I do kind of have to disagree with you! Yes I am paid to be there but it still means I have to pay a ridiculous amount to go on holiday (not through choice)! And yes I am aware I get huge quantities of holiday - yet during all of them prices are hiked! Yes I have a decent enough wage but its still not the best in the world and doesn't mean I can afford a Disney holiday every summer! I can also vouch for the fact that for some children taking 2 weeks out really can make a huge difference and I am only reception teacher! I have on a couple occasions had to move children down a group because even in that short time their friends have over taken them! So yes, some children it will not effect (especially in times like the last 2 weeks of term) but other chn it can have quite a significant effect on!!! You will also get some parents blaming the teacher for not making enough progress!!!

Sorry if this sounds ranty but people always seem to have it in for teachers!

Oh and I really don't have any qualms with taking holidays for special circumstances such as illnesses and weddings!!!
Sorry but you chose to be a teacher knowing what your holidays would be. It's your job, you get paid to be there. The parents of kids going to your school may not have options of when they take holidays and sorry but you have no say in weather they take holidays or not.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:33 AM   #30
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
Schools do still have the option to authorise as the head authorised our trip we just took in November, for both schools that my youngest attend and the middle school my oldest attends.

Not every school had to go with the choice to have decisions taken away from the head, it was a choice that some school's have went with.
My sister is a teacher of 14/15 yr olds and her school has decided to keep authorisation in house, so the head will have the final decision after talking to the child's teacher, and looking at attendance etc.
Schools cannot authorise leave for holiday, they can only authorise leave for exceptional circumstances, compassionate leave, illness, medical etc. That's still all down to the Head. It all changed in September 2013 when the amendments came in which omitted the "for the purpose of a holiday" part of what schools/heads were able to authorise.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: