Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #31
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
They were training the cm last time we saw that.
That's what we figured. We guessed they were maybe training some CMs to come in for the Christmas rush!
DizneyLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #32
nansmama
DIS Veteran

We haven't ridden this one in ages BECAUSE of the long wait (also because the "acting" is cringe-worthy). No matter what the posted time is, we always get stuck waiting in the movie room watching the film clips over and over. Last time we rode it was October of 2012 and after yet another round of waiting in the Movie Room of Doom, we said never again.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #33
Alice Royal
Eighteen, female, Florida resident, Disney addict. ^^

I was at HS yesterday and the absolute weirdest thing happened.

We saw that there was a 5 minute wait time, and this was accurate.

However, there were enough people coming through the lines to 'fill' two double cars, and I got to see the cowboy scene for the first time. I was pretty happy to see it, but dumbfounded as I was under the impression that it only ran when the lines were long.

We had the doors closed on us just as one double car was filled. I assume they were waiting to have enough people for two despite the short wait time, which negates the OP's original statement a bit.

THE FAMILY
Me (18) DBF (18)
AP Holders and Proud Florida Residents since 2013!

THE FAM BACK HOME IN NH

DMom DDad DB (13)
Alice Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #34
FlipHipster
Blackbelt in Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofanarchy View Post
I do. I don't really like it anymore, but I ride it because 3 things always amaze me:

1.The ride operator is always named CB. That guy logs a lot of hours.
2.No matter who my vehicle host is, James Cagney is always their favorite bad guy.
3.Also, no matter who the host is, their favorite genre of movies is the horror film.

I just can't stand to pass by these amazing coincidences.
I always thought they just had really strict hiring requirements
FlipHipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #35
Maverick
Mouseketeer

I'm here on the ride as we speak. Literally. This is our 18th trip in the last 13 years, so we are relatively seasoned Disney vacationers.

The OP's observations may have been what they experienced, but nothing like what happened to us. Wait time was posted at 10 minutes and we waited 8. The ride cars are full, the queue room prior to boarding was as 'open' as needed. Our vehicle stopped in the gangster room and there were two full sets of ride vehicles in the final movie clip.

I guess your mileage may vary, but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary compared to all our previous visits.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #36
DLFT
Mouseketeer

If I'm not mistaken, there are three main operating modes for the GMR

1) Both cars running and both "scene options" available. Run during busy times.

2) Both cars running but only the rear car is filled with guests. The front car is sent through empty with a tour guide to give the wicked witch someone to talk to during the oz scene. This configuration is used when they are planning on filling the front car later on or were using it earlier.

3) The front car sits in the movie scene room at the end and does not even run on the circuit, and only the gangster scene is avaliable...utilized during non busy times.

OP, is it possible they were running the second operating mode when you visited?
Summer 2003- Ft. Wilderness Cabins Jan 2005- All Star Sports
Dec 2005- Ft. Wilderness Cabins (with friends) May 2007- Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Winter 07/08- Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds/Cabins March 2009- Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Winter 2009- Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds Winter 2011- POFQ/Ft. Wilderness Cabins (with friends)
March 2013- POFQ Dec. 2013- Ft. Wilderness Cabins May 2014-All Star Sports December 2014-Ft. Wilderness Cabins
DLFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #37
UFlawgator
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I'm here on the ride as we speak. Literally. This is our 18th trip in the last 13 years, so we are relatively seasoned Disney vacationers.

The OP's observations may have been what they experienced, but nothing like what happened to us. Wait time was posted at 10 minutes and we waited 8. The ride cars are full, the queue room prior to boarding was as 'open' as needed. Our vehicle stopped in the gangster room and there were two full sets of ride vehicles in the final movie clip.

I guess your mileage may vary, but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary compared to all our previous visits.
Just rode this ride on Saturday, December 7 in the afternoon. Posted wait time was also 10 minutes for us and we waited less than that. We did wait a few minutes more at the end to get on because I wanted the cowboy version instead of the gangster version. It was worth waiting for the next set of cars because they put us in the first row.
UFlawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #38
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

One time (ca 2010) I requested the cowboy scene. They told me to wait and at least two ride cycles went by with just one vehicle pair coming through for the gangster scene.

I suppose they were trying to get a crew ready to do the cowboy scene. Finally two pairs of vehicles pulled up and they put me on the forward set.

At the end of my ride I suppose they ran the empty forward pair through the sets around to the final movie scene to park until they get the next request for the cowboy scene or a larger crowd shows up.

I would think that by now Disney has enough guest data including for early versus late Thanksgiving and Sunday versus Wednesday Christmas to schedule the proper number of vehicle pairs for Great Movie Ride.
Hotel scam! Someone "from the front desk" calls your room phone or knocks on the door, usually after midnight, asking for your credit card number to complete your billing or you will be kicked out. Don't give it to him. It can wait until dawn when you stop by the front desk. This includes Disney's resorts too.

Last edited by seashoreCM; 12-09-2013 at 06:01 PM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #39
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
Hold on . . . People actually ride this ride?
......LOL.....I was thinking the same thing.....went once and wondered "what the heck was that?".......
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #40
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
......LOL.....I was thinking the same thing.....went once and wondered "what the heck was that?".......
Hey, look at the bright side. It's a nice long ride with air conditioning when it's hot.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #41
catne
DIS Veteran

we were there in October during a particularly slow week, and saw the same thing happen. Yes, they made all the stand-by people weave all the way through the outside line (which was ludicrous, because the fastpass queue was empty, as was the movie clips waiting area.) Most rides re-configure the outside line early in the day to cut the walking...GMR had it set up for maximum walking. Inside there was no slow down at all--we did not see another person all the way through the costuming area of the queue. And inside the wait area, there was no one (as we entered the movie clips room, they were sending the last group through.) We still waited 10 minutes in the movie clips room. When we entered the ride loading area I don't think they filled 4 rows of seats, total.

The entire park was like that...even Toy Story only went to about 45 min wait that morning (and I heard a mom telling her friend it said 45 but was really 30) Everything else was walk-ons all morning. There was absolutely no need for posting 20 minutes on GMR, and no reason at all to make stand-by walk the whole outside queue.

I agree that Disney is probably doing some crowd-control-vacation-booking engineering here...purposely creating a "demand" by (1) making a line where none is needed and then (2) offering the "perk" of fastpass for the newly perceived "need" for avoiding the stand-by line.

We saw the same thing at Epcot...in 25+ trips, always during slow times, we have NEVER seen a wait time at Figment of more than 10 minutes. Sure enough, in the morning on a "3" crowd calendar day...Journey into Imagination says 40 minutes on the standby...this was at 10 AM or so. The stand-by line wound out the door and around the corner of the building. It was ludicrous. Later in the day, it was back to 10 minutes so I asked the CM if the ride had been down that morning when it was 40, and she said "no" that was because so many people fastpassed it after Soarin.
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #42
DonnaMac35
Earning My Ears

It is called stacking and yes they are doing it.
DonnaMac35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #43
Finally08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansmama View Post
We haven't ridden this one in ages BECAUSE of the long wait (also because the "acting" is cringe-worthy). No matter what the posted time is, we always get stuck waiting in the movie room watching the film clips over and over. Last time we rode it was October of 2012 and after yet another round of waiting in the Movie Room of Doom, we said never again.

I actually enjoy the little movie clips in the line MORE than the ride itself. I could watch The Footlight Parade clips over and over again and never bore of them dressed like singing cats. How charming are they? It's cuter than the actual set up you see of that movie in the attraction.
Nov 2008 - With Twilight friends in DisneylandMay 2009 - The family returns to WDW! Contemporary
June 2009 - Girls dance trip / All Star MoviesFeb 14-21 2010 Wilderness Lodge Nov 18-27 2010 Pop Century - just me and my girlMay 18-31 2011 Pop Century - just me and my girl, aka "the queen of the kingdom"October 2011 - Family Halloween fun!!Nov. 26-30 '11 trip to visit Flynn!Dec 28- Jan 8 '12 NYE Madness
Sept 27-Oct 2 2012 - Enchanted MNSSHP
Finally08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #44
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
Hey, look at the bright side. It's a nice long ride with air conditioning when it's hot.
We rode it twice and I was just... The first time my husband wanted to go on it while the kids rode tot. The second time the kids wanted to ride it to escape the cool weather before our next fast pass.

In all of out times on that ride, we have never seen the cowboy scene.

Last edited by wdwmom0f3; 12-10-2013 at 12:32 AM.
wdwmom0f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #45
gobo2
Drug Lord/Dance Mom

I could swear that before the budget cuts (after 9/11) there were two guides so that you could see and hear them if both the front and back of the cars were full. No?
Jan 2013 DD13 brings a friend! It's a whole new World.
Too many in between to count

gobo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: