Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,570
DISboards Moderator

That queue has always been there. We have been in it from start to end many times.
If you scroll down on this page updated in 2009, you can see a picture of the queue entrance, including the beginning of the queue.
http://www.yesterland.com/mgm-end.html
It's always been there, not always used.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #17
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!
 
AmyB2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,955

Quote:
Originally Posted by curemyreed View Post
1. You are forced to weave through roped off lines outside the theater before weaving through the lines you have always had to navigate within the building. There is no reason to add this outside queueing. The inside was never even 1/5 full.

2. The doors from the waiting theater into the vehicle-loading room closed and those waiting were forced to spend much more time than previous to FP+ implementation watching the movie clips being shown....again adding to the time spent waiting.

3. I rode this on three different occasions. Each ride vehicle is actually two cars hooked together. Each of those three times that I rode the vehicle in front of me and the vehicle behind me only had guests seated in one car, so the second car was empty. This left guests waiting in that theater watching the extended movie clips who could have filled those seats!

4. Here is the one that just got me fuming at the blatant way Disney is building the wait for standby riders on purpose and completely unnecessarily. Are you familiar with the last room that the ride vehicles pull into to watch the film clips? In the past, three separate ride vehicles consisting of two cars each would pull into the room before the doors close and the clips started playing. Well, now, a single vehicle pulls in to watch. Why, I ask you? This absolutely slows down the time it takes to experience the attraction. What possible reason could Disney have for taking fewer guests through the ride and at a slower pace?!!!

Has anyone else noticed these changes? The very idea that Disney would make changes to make a wait longer has me infuriated!!! Especially, because it appears to me that it is being done to "sell" the idea of getting a FP+ for this ride.
1. When I was there in October, we didn't have to weave outside, only inside. But I'll see what happens next week.

2. This also was like this the last time I was there. But only for a few minutes.

3. Now this, would bother me. If there's people out in the queuing area, why wouldn't they fill the cars? That I don't get. I've never not been in a car that wasn't full if there's people waiting. Matter of fact, I always seem to end up in the back of the second car.

4. I do remember when the 3 cars would pull in and watch the movie clips at the end, but this has been like this for a while now. I don't think it has anything to do with FP+.

All that said, I wouldn't put it past Disney to try to make people think they need a FP+ for a ride that they really don't though. They have to do something to "sell" those FPs.
__________________

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,412

We were there last week, too. Walked on, many times, no wait. A couple times we poked our heads in and saw lines, and turned around and walked out. Same as every trip! We know the ride well enough to know that crowds can build unexpectedly, especially at mid-day.

And this visit we actually got to experience the bandit scene for the first time ever, in seven trips!

The queue enters from the side, instead of from in front, but that's the only difference I saw.

I was actually a teeny tiny bit disappointed we never got to see any of the film clips in the first room, as I rather enjoy them.

1. Extra ropes (not that we noticed them, but I believe you when you say they were there!) don't make the wait any longer. They just mean you have to walk a few more feet.

2. The doors always close, holding a certain number of people back in the waiting room. They let in small groups, periodically. In years past, I've stood in lines that filled the waiting room, and this in ALWAYS the case, regardless of how many or how few people there are. In this visit, we've consistently walked right up to the group at the doors, and were let right into the theatre after a minute or two.

3. The back car is only filled during high-crowd times. It's a less enjoyable experience (as you can barely see the CM at the front), and when the crowds are low the CMs do their best to ensure everyone gets the best ride possible. When you see empty back cars, that's because they're being considerate, not diabolical.

4. For years and years, as long as I've been visiting (first visit, 2005), the Great Movie Ride runs just one car during low-crowd periods. They only break out the second car if there's a need for it. If you think about it, this makes good sense - why run an empty car, creating wear and tear on the vehicles and increasing the possibility of break-downs, when there's no need?

There's no conspiracy here. This has nothing to do with FP+.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #19
bastos
ValiantDad
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 304

The ride is in DESPERATE need of a MAJOR overhaul - but even some minor overhauls could REALLY help.

Um - change the film clips at the end to digital? I know that Disney has PROBABLY heard that the digital film HAS been invented.

And our cast member the last time was horrifically terrible. Off to Captain EO for you.
__________________
Me DW DD13 DD9 DD7
August 1986 (off-site with brother, sister, Mom and Dad)
April 1990 (off-site - a day at Hollywood Studios)
June 2007 - Pop Century
June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
May 2014 - Me and wife ALONE for Star Wars weekend at Beach Club
December 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

bastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup
 
2012DisneyWorldBride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,451

Here now says 30 min wait
__________________

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco - Planning Journal and Trip Report!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!! Didn't finish...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)
Disney Trips: AP - for as long as I can remember - AKL 8/2011, GF 12/2012 & AKL 12/2012, CBR 9/2013 & GF 12/2013, CBR 8/2014 & GF 12/2014
2012DisneyWorldBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #21
freediverdude
Was very touched by the Tapestry of Dreams parade :(
 
freediverdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Lutz, Florida
Posts: 1,188

Hmm, I wonder if they are using the second cars for fp+ now. That might explain the second car sometimes going out empty or half full. And that way they wouldn't have to combine the lines at the end or whatever. Who knows.
freediverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #22
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.
 
seashoreCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 21,351

Hmmm. Do they want to make everybody see all of the movie clips in the indoor queueing area at least once?

They can fix the problem of sitting in the far rear very easily. Insist that the announcer not talk about each room until he gets all the way forward to the exit.

Last time I was there, the ride vehicles always run in pairs. The first two boarding positions are for the bandit cowboy scene. The last two boarding positions are for the gangster scene. During slow times the back two positions are used most of the time although I was told that at least one set of cars runs for the bandit scene and they will let you stand off to the side to wait for it.
__________________
Last Disney trip: December 2010.
Phantasmic ------- starring Dumbo?
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #23
Karbase8
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 611

I rode the Great Movie Ride last in August 2013 and during the MB test and I did notice what the OP said about the longer lines. Adding that extra queue outside seemed to increase the standby lines and no one was using FP plus line, I noticed this also at POTC, HM and IASM rides that do not need FP. I do hope they work out the kinks as these rides do not need longer standby lines.
Karbase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #24
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran
 
MouseMomx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,221

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
3. Now this, would bother me. If there's people out in the queuing area, why wouldn't they fill the cars? That I don't get. I've never not been in a car that wasn't full if there's people waiting. Matter of fact, I always seem to end up in the back of the second car.
The often only run one of the interactive scenes (don't want to give it away for those who haven't ridden). Therefore they can only use the two cars that stop in that scene. The other two cars go through empty. It is no different than putting fewer vehicles into service on an attraction, but on TGMR all of the cars go through together, whether they are being used or not. There is no way around that. And they can't just fill those cars when there are extra people in the queue. If they don't have staff for the second interactive scene they can't use those cars.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #25
lugnut33
DIS Veteran
 
lugnut33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,890

I can attest that over Thanksgiving people were indeed waiting in that outside queue area because I said to myself, "No way in heck I'd wait in that line). I even pointed it out to the kids, "Hey look, the line is actually outside now".
__________________
lugnut33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #26
DemonLlama
Ultimate WPASADI Co-Winner
I Miss WDW!
Needs to catch up to Dan Murphy's post count
The Lizard Queen
Magnificent Creativear
 
DemonLlama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieODC View Post
To your 3rd point...we sat near the back of the 2nd car on our trip in November, and it was a terrible seat....we were so far from the guide, and the first car was entering a different room and getting the spiel, while we were still back in the previous scene.....it definitely detracted from the overall experience. So, maybe if it isn't crowded, they don't put people back there for that reason??

We've been stuck on the back rows over and over and NEVER got to see that dang Alien in the ceiling. We'd be seeing the next ride group coming in behind us and have the spiel totally off from what we could see. It really does make it less enjoyable. Last trip, we specifically asked to wait for the next car to sit up front because of our luck. So if they can manage to keep everyone in the first car and not slow the ride wait beyond 20 minutes, good choice!
DemonLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #27
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,570
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverdude View Post
Hmm, I wonder if they are using the second cars for fp+ now. That might explain the second car sometimes going out empty or half full. And that way they wouldn't have to combine the lines at the end or whatever. Who knows.
Fastpass Plus line joins the Standby line before either line enters the large room with the movies playing at the front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post
The often only run one of the interactive scenes (don't want to give it away for those who haven't ridden). Therefore they can only use the two cars that stop in that scene. The other two cars go through empty. It is no different than putting fewer vehicles into service on an attraction, but on TGMR all of the cars go through together, whether they are being used or not. There is no way around that. And they can't just fill those cars when there are extra people in the queue. If they don't have staff for the second interactive scene they can't use those cars.
That is true - if they are only running one of the scenes, they can't use the second set of cars.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #28
cigar95
DIS weakest link
 
cigar95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: La Mirada, CA
Posts: 2,694

Because the vehicle configuration is two sets of two cars each, sometimes it's ambiguous and a little confusing about what one is saying when referring to the "first" or "second "car. Each host/hostess gives the spiel to two "cars", and there can be two hosts at a time each with their own pair of cars.

Aside - in the final room, is there really room for *three* pairs of cars? I would think that would throw things off, as the loading area only takes two pairs, I think.

In the end, the gist of the thread can be summarized as "capacity may have been reduced, probably to save on staffing and maintenance needs." They did the same thing to 'Living With the Land' a few years back, but that was, I think, only temporary, eventually put back to sufficient capacity to keep waits very low most of the time.
cigar95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #29
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,062

I was there this past Saturday night, and we got in line around 5:30 not believing the posted "20 minute wait." We ended up waiting exactly 19 minutes, and when we boarded the vehicle, we figured out why - the first car had a CM, but no guests! We wondered if they were running the ride at half capacity all afternoon.
DizneyLizzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #30
Granny square
Always planning a trip!
 
Granny square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,704

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizneyLizzy View Post
I was there this past Saturday night, and we got in line around 5:30 not believing the posted "20 minute wait." We ended up waiting exactly 19 minutes, and when we boarded the vehicle, we figured out why - the first car had a CM, but no guests! We wondered if they were running the ride at half capacity all afternoon.
They were training the cm last time we saw that.
__________________
wishing I was at the beach!
Granny square is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.