Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #31
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugov2 View Post
It may have been, but how would a sequel do? I don't know many people besides my dad who actually liked the movie, though it did seem like it would be good. Most thought it was just eh. Now all of the movies in LOTR and the Hobbit(obviously the last not out yet) are in the top 40 of highest grossing movies of all time. That says a lot about them as a franchise. I disagree they are not popular with youth, I'm sure there are some that don't like it sure, but I think it has appeal at least more appeal than Avatar. Now that doesn't mean I think Avatar land will flop in AK, b/c you don't have to like the movie to like the land, just like you don't have to like HP or LOTR to like those rides. My dd doesn't like Beauty and The Beast much, but she loved eating at BOG. The castle is FAB!! I still think it would fit better at IOA, but I'd be happy to visit Middle Earth at either park. Just love the idea
I agree with you

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #32
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
I agree with you
I think you are the first person on the DIS to say that to me
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #33
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
lol

Old 01-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #34
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
And Rteetz also-- I agree with you guys alot, but feel lame just saying " I agree " all the time.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #35
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
And Rteetz also-- I agree with you guys alot, but feel lame just saying " I agree " all the time.
I know I also feel that way with a lot of people

Old 01-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #36
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonandBEYOND View Post
Meh,
Universal messed up WWoHP, and this comes from a first edition HP book owning hardcore fan.

Universal, in their rush to make WWoHP and grab money from the last movie rush, made it WAY to cramped, too small, and left out some cool details that could have further heightened it. They are making up for this now building the second part of it, which should have been done originally.

As a passholder at both places, I think Disney does a better and higher quality job on details than Universal, and a world like LoTR would need that.

That all being said, I believe this is not something that will ever see light. At least, not for a long while. I am in thorough belief that after AvatarLand is done, Star Wars land will be the next big creation at Disney World. It just makes sense.

I will say though, LoTR has a GIGANTIC following, and I could see it springing to life in a theme park one day (especially with the modern movies helping rejuvenate it). I think Disney would be good for it, however I think there are other things on the Disney mind right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonandBEYOND View Post
She was/ is very involved with WWoHP,

But I truly believe the size was due to rushed production. Universal wanted to capitalize off the remaining movies hype, and new they had a deadline to meet. Therefore, instead of making it kick off bigger (even would have been a proponent of the 2 park way currently being added) I think they cut corners to make money.

I mean, it is a business - do what you got to do no matter the thoughts, I understand that.

I think Disney does pay more attention to small details and magical worlds though, it's basically what they specialize in. Either way - would be cool at either park, no doubt.
It can be cool anywhere except Disney. Bring on Avatar Land and Star Wars Land.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:59 AM   #37
HoneymoonandBEYOND
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I have to disagree with you there. WDW has had some instances where they have failed to pay attention to detail...just off the top of my head the yeti. I think IOA is spectacular and rivals anything WDW has done. It is far better than Epcot, HS and AK and the only reason I will give MK the win is pure nostalgia. I think Uni/IOA pays just as much attention to detail as WDW. I do not think they have cornered the market there. I was blown away by the attention to detail we saw and would have never expected it.

I respectfully disagree with you examples, I think the problem with the Yeti stems from being TOO detailed, I have never seen animatronics compete with Disney ones, and I am a proud pass holder at both Disney and Universal.
IOA isn't really comparable to anything Disney has because it is more like a thrill ride park, imo, than a theme park (like Universal Studios). I think a better argument would have been Universal Studios v. any Disney park, but here nor there I still think Disney triumphs. However, that of course is the beauty of the DISboards, we can have opposite opinions and good chat about it!

Exactly The old cartoons are AWESOME(My dh thinks I'm a total nerd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
The flip side to that is if Rowling didn't approve of the size then she would have put a stop to that. That aside, I don't agree that Universal cut corners. They are landlocked and that will limit size too of course but I think that WWoHP is one of most detailed and well done areas of any themepark. I respect that you don't agree though.

And that's why I love the DISboards, we may not agree - but at least there is some respect!

I don't disagree that WWoHP is probably the most detailed in all of Universal Parks Florida - I just think they could have delivered it better, again - my opinion. Let's just say, I am thrilled with the expansion because I can not stand how crammed it gets in there and will be relieved to have some of that evenly spread through the expansion and what, imo, it should have been from the beginning!

Back to the original post though, upon thinking about it more and more I am just not %100 that it would be a good idea at ANY park.

I can visualize something like AvatarLand, or WWoHP, but when I try to envision what would have to go into making a LoTR land look good, I think it would be very hard to pull off. I guess that's how all ideas for big franchises seem at the beginning though, I suppose that is why most of us are not engineers? LOL

HoneymoonandBEYOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:03 AM   #38
101disneyfan
Waiting for Avatar, Star Wars, Pixar Place...

I just read something on Screamscape...

Has anyone heard of the Lord of the Rings being thrown out the window in favor of King Kong's Skull Island replacing Toon Lagoon?

Walt Disney World September 23-25, 2005 CBR, October 6-9, 2007 MNSSHP (Video), June 23-28, 2013 (Video)
101disneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #39
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101disneyfan View Post
Gonna have to reject just based on tbjs
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #40
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101disneyfan View Post

Has anyone heard of the Lord of the Rings being thrown out the window in favor of King Kong's Skull Island replacing Toon Lagoon?
Kong is going into Jurassic Park...this is from a guy over at orlando united who is money on insider info
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #41
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
Kong is going into Jurassic Park...this is from a guy over at orlando united who is money on insider info
that's interesting I've heard that Jurassic park was going to expand as another one of those movies is in production.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #42
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
that's interesting I've heard that Jurassic park was going to expand as another one of those movies is in production.
Kong is going NEXT TO Jurassic Park....and there's still a good chance we'll see a new JP attraction in the next couple of years as well.

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #43
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
yes but I myself being a teenager I don't see it being incredibly popular or anything not like Harry potter.
My oldest son is 16, soon to be 17. According to him, Harry Potter, LOTR and the Wheel of Time series are the most popular series among his peers. Small sample size, but it still makes the list with young people.

Middle Earth, a "world" created in these novels, has been replicated in thousands of other books around the globe.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #44
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBama View Post
My oldest son is 16, soon to be 17. According to him, Harry Potter, LOTR and the Wheel of Time series are the most popular series among his peers. Small sample size, but it still makes the list with young people. Middle Earth, a "world" created in these novels, has been replicated in thousands of other books around the globe.
HP is definitely popular among my peers and so is the hobbit. LOTR isn't really and I've never even heard of the wheel of time whatever that is.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:20 AM   #45
old lady
DIS Veteran

I heard they have one in New Zealand, but it would be too scary for some children to have orcs running around unless they are more disney style goblins. Universal might be a little confussing with Potter banking goblins and orcs and goblisn running around.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: