Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #31
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimommy View Post
... Probably was upset me the most was our disney magical express. the day before check out i received a notice for our magical express pick up time and instructions. everything was set and appeared normal. the morning of check out i received another lettering stating that due to system requirements disney would not be checking us into the airport and i would need to transport all of our luggage on the magic express bus with us. normally i probably wouldn't be too upset by this… but i am pregnant in my third trimester and traveling with a two and four year old and my husband. (we have five large bags including the carseats which were were checking)… We had a lot of luggage including two giant carseats. I was seriously very happy about not having to take the luggage around with us… so finding out that we would be bring our luggage with us was disappointing. I was also told their would be a curbside check in right when we got off the magical express.. which wasn't true because the curbside check in is on the third floor of the airport, by the normal checkin. i tired to figure out why this happened and see if they anything could be changed given our situation… and i got a different story every time… basically told they couldn't do anything… the magical express driver told me.. sometime disney just simply doesn't have room to transport everyones luggage so the just have to say no to some people. Im not sure what the true reason was, but the fact that disney made no effort to help us with this situation was very disappointing. I just expect more.
Not sure what more Disney could have done, and I don't see anything about your "situation" that makes you more or less needy than any other group visiting Disney. Just curious, in addition to the 5 'large' suitcases and 2 'giant' child car seats did you have strollers to be gate checked? Was this luggage for your family and your inlaws, or just for you, hubby and the 2 & 4 yr. old?
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=944813
Here is the thread relating to RAC rules, was your 2 yr. old a 'lap child' for flying and were you on Jetblue, if so the airline requires you to check your bags at the airport and not offsite. Or where you flying w/ an airline that does not have an agreement w/ RAC? If so, again Disney can't help you. Likewise if you were flagged by TSA for no remote check in, Disney can't do anything about that.
Disney has people in place to 'help' you w/ your luggage, you push the bell services button on your room phone and arrange for them to come pick up your luggage in your room on your departure day, then they hold it for you while you wait for your DME bus or they bring it out to you while you wait for the DME bus. It's never as easy leaving w/ your luggage as it is when you arrive and your luggage just 'appears' in your room.
Even if you use RAC when you leave you still need to get your luggage from your room down to the line for the RAC desk along w/ all adults well before the 1 pm deadline and more than 3 hrs. before your flight.
Hopefully, next time you'll be more familiar w/ the whole luggage check in/DME procedure/airport layout, etc. and not have any surprises.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #32
Susiequsie60
Mouseketeer

Chimommy - I still think your disappointment is warranted. I'm surprised at how many people want to just pick apart everything you said in an effort to defend Disney.

I think we've established that WDW does its best to market themselves as a magical place. Like no other place in the world. They want us to have what amount to unrealistic expectations. The point is, these expectations were not really anywhere near as unrealistic 15 or 10 or even 5 years ago - in my opinion.

I can guarantee that if I had the exact same experiences that you did, I too would be disappointed. That doesn't make me (or you) a chronic complainer or an unrealistic Disney hater or someone who will never visit again. It makes us human.
Susiequsie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #33
chimommy
Mouseketeer

Sorry thought my post didnt post.... So I posted again... This was basically a repeat of my post below....

And Once again.... thanks for the comments. I wish I didn't feel so disappointed about this past trip. Just wanted to know if others had felt a change in disney and vent about a few of my issues.

Last edited by chimommy; 12-08-2013 at 07:38 PM.
chimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #34
chimommy
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your information.

No I was not flying with a lap child (pretty sure they have to be under two to be a lap, but either way I always get my kids seats) and no I was not gate checking carseats or strollers. My carseats were included as part of my 5 bags of luggage.

The paperwork disney sent me stated that the airline we were using (no i did not fly jetblue) allowed us to check our bags at the resort and "completely bypass airport check in." Maybe I missed the part about being subject to security checks and system updates. I was told many things by many different people so I'm not sure what the true reason was for not being able to use the resort check in. Other memebers of our family using the same airline were able to use the resort check in.

We also received a letter the day before check out stating out pick up time and the information about checking our bags at the resort. This was a last min change they made the morning of our departure. And no i did not wait till they last min to try and check my bags. I wish I had been given more of an advanced notice so I could have made arrangements for a car to pick us up.

I did not make a huge fit about this when it happened. Just accepted it and went about our business after being told nothing could be done. But in my opinion disney told me they would provide me with a service and they did not. It was disappointing. I think disney was very smart to come up with the magical express... Not having to deal with bags at the airport when you are traveling with small kids (or even without) is a great benefit.... One that was very helpful during our arrival.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #35
Babsy
DIS Veteran

OP, Sorry that your visit to WDW was disappointing! I know how you feel - when you are lead to expect a service that isn't provided and no reason given, it IS upsetting.

It seems to be evident, IME, that every vacation to WDW sees a further slip away from the quality vacation that we used to be able to rely upon. It is so very sad.

As a PP said, Disney service, which used to be of such a high standard, is no longer any better than you will receive anywhere else. However, Disney does raise high expectations for superior service in their marketing. Also, in the past, Disney set the bar high for themselves with respect to customer service and a quality vacation product. Today, they are missing the mark.

When consumer expectations are high, disappointments are felt much more keenly by contrast.

I hope that your next vacation meets and exceeds your expectations.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #36
kerplop
Duck, duck, duck, duck GOOSE

I think the dirty diaper thing sticks out for me the most apart from the bad CM attitudes. If they didn't clean that up, who even knows what else they didn't clean Obviously you can manage your expectations and I don't care if a Disney deluxe is not a true "deluxe", you're paying so much that it should at least be clean. That's the bare minimum of what an experience at that price point should be.

That said I think like a PP said, this new NextGen stuff is really running CMs ragged and that's not to say I wouldn't be annoyed too, but I can understand it. Anyway I'm sorry to hear you had a less than stellar experience this time. We're personally giving it a couple of years to see if Disney can get things back on track and we're using that time to see other places. I hope your next trip is more magical!
Nov/Dec 2012 - Pop Century
Disneyland Vet (2-3 times a year 1979-2003)!
kerplop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #37
Ellwood970
Mouseketeer

I think that relaxed Disney vacations ended sometime around the year 2000. It is still fun but now I say it is not relaxed and stress free.
Ellwood970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #38
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimommy View Post
Thanks for your information.

No I was not flying with a lap child (pretty sure they have to be under two to be a lap, but either way I always get my kids seats) and no I was not gate checking carseats or strollers. My carseats were included as part of my 5 bags of luggage.

The paperwork disney sent me stated that the airline we were using (no i did not fly jetblue) allowed us to check our bags at the resort and "completely bypass airport check in." Maybe I missed the part about being subject to security checks and system updates. I was told many things by many different people so I'm not sure what the true reason was for not being able to use the resort check in. Other memebers of our family using the same airline were able to use the resort check in.

We also received a letter the day before check out stating out pick up time and the information about checking our bags at the resort. This was a last min change they made the morning of our departure. And no i did not wait till they last min to try and check my bags. I wish I had been given more of an advanced notice so I could have made arrangements for a car to pick us up.

I did not make a huge fit about this when it happened. Just accepted it and went about our business after being told nothing could be done. But in my opinion disney told me they would provide me with a service and they did not. It was disappointing. I think disney was very smart to come up with the magical express... Not having to deal with bags at the airport when you are traveling with small kids (or even without) is a great benefit.... One that was very helpful during our arrival.
If it was a case where the airline's system refused remote check-in, there is no way Disney would have known that in advance. That's out of their control. I would have asked the airline when you checked in for an explanation.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #39
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

What person even thinks of putting a dirty diaper in a drawer? That's what puzzles me the most. Some guest thought that would be a good idea.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #40
chimommy
Mouseketeer

I know... It was really gross!!!! Maybe a kid did it? I have no idea... But was really shocked by it!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #41
brockash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networth
Chalk this one up to people complain about an experience 10 times more often than they praise one.
Wow...so basically any complaints about Disney are wrong and not valid for you and a few others on this board??? Why do you even read then? I love Disney and go every year, but the OP does have valid complaints and honestly we too have generally encountered poorer and poorer service etc. in the last few yrs. as well. If ppl. want to live in their "Disney is perfect and can do no wrong" bubble then don't open the thread and continue to live in Fantasyland.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #42
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsy View Post
OP, Sorry that your visit to WDW was disappointing! I know how you feel - when you are lead to expect a service that isn't provided and no reason given, it IS upsetting.

It seems to be evident, IME, that every vacation to WDW sees a further slip away from the quality vacation that we used to be able to rely upon. It is so very sad.

As a PP said, Disney service, which used to be of such a high standard, is no longer any better than you will receive anywhere else. However, Disney does raise high expectations for superior service in their marketing. Also, in the past, Disney set the bar high for themselves with respect to customer service and a quality vacation product. Today, they are missing the mark.

When consumer expectations are high, disappointments are felt much more keenly by contrast.

I hope that your next vacation meets and exceeds your expectations.
Disney has always had excellent customer service, and I believe that this is what leads us to have the expectations of above and beyond service. I'm not sure that I (personally) feel that it is "marketed" to us...it's more just it "is". I am genuinely curious about the marketing aspect and not trying to start an argument here, but I am looking for examples. I am searching and searching my mind for examples...(probably not the best idea at 6:23 am)

"Let the Memories Begin" and now the "Show your Disney Side" campaigns to me seem to imply that Disney is a backdrop to the memories, but you as a family are responsible for making those memories.

Like I said, I think the expectations of service are based on past experiences versus promises made. Unfortunately, I think that people nowadays go above and beyond in their sense of entitlement and that really puts a strain on Disney's ability to go above and beyond when it's truly warranted. (Not referencing anyone on this thread at all). I get that Disney is expensive....believe me I get it! And I have high expectations too...there should NEVER be a dirty diaper in a drawer, and Mousekeeping should have gotten that....no question.

But, the truth is, things go wrong. Even at Disney, we are still living real life, and nothing is perfect. And, as much as we go to Disney, the chances are greater that we are going to run into an imperfect situation. We too have had less than magical experiences but overall, Disney is still a great place to visit.

OP, I hope that your next trip goes a lot smoother.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #43
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

This is all just my opinion....If you find a dirty diaper in a drawer, you should get something for that. Now I'm not saying from a legal perspective. I'm saying from a customer service perspective. Have something to give someone as a token to make up for stuff like this, which yes, can happen. A gift card, a Mickey plush, a voucher for a cupcake at the QS ANYTHING. That's where Disney goes horribly wrong IMO. We had a housekeeping issue and even the simple words "So sorry about this" apparently could never come out of their lips.

In contrast, we stayed at Great Wolf Lodge back in May for two nights. I went to complain about one rude worker, and believe me, I didn't ask for one thing. She was just really rude and I thought needed a break or something, like it was disturbing. The general manager went to his office, then came out with 10% off our entire stay, which was worth about $150 bucks! Can you even imagine Disney doing something like that? That's the difference between a company that is hungry and a company resting on their laurels IMO.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #44
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
This is all just my opinion....If you find a dirty diaper in a drawer, you should get something for that. Now I'm not saying from a legal perspective. I'm saying from a customer service perspective. Have something to give someone as a token to make up for stuff like this, which yes, can happen. A gift card, a Mickey plush, a voucher for a cupcake at the QS ANYTHING. That's where Disney goes horribly wrong IMO. We had a housekeeping issue and even the simple words "So sorry about this" apparently could never come out of their lips.

In contrast, we stayed at Great Wolf Lodge back in May for two nights. I went to complain about one rude worker, and believe me, I didn't ask for one thing. She was just really rude and I thought needed a break or something, like it was disturbing. The general manager went to his office, then came out with 10% off our entire stay, which was worth about $150 bucks! Can you even imagine Disney doing something like that? That's the difference between a company that is hungry and a company resting on their laurels IMO.
A simple Sorry goes a long way in my book.

But, maybe the problem is with consistency. I would be angered if something went wrong and I didn't get an apology (which would be all I was looking for if it's the fault of someone else).

In our experience though, Disney has gone above and beyond, especially when we were asking for nothing.

We stayed at CBR in 2011 and had a situation where our luggage never showed up to the resort (we used Magical Express). Well, with 10 days in front of us and no one coming up with answers about when we would get our luggage, I was distressed to say the least.... I had discussions with the front desk at CBR, as well as Southwest Airlines....Southwest was actually awful to deal with on this issue (and I am a fan of SW), but the manager at CBR went above and beyond in that situation, actually comping us $150 to go down to the gift shop and buy some extra clothes and supplies to hold us over until the issue was resolved. All signs were pointing to this being a Southwest issue and NOT a Disney issue - and Disney stepped up and made this right for us. They didn't have to do that, and I was sooooo grateful for what they did I literally cried at the front desk.

That's what I love about Disney. I feel like when I go there, I will be "taken care of" - but again, that expectation is based off of personal experiences and not something that they have promised to do.

Now, I hear other stories too, where people are angry because they weren't "compensated" for whatever reason - but they can't possibly appease everyone I guess.

Again, in the situation like the dirty diaper, I would have expected an apology, because that shouldn't happen.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #45
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiequsie60 View Post
Why do people get so twisted when someone comes here and complains?

For me, I'm the kind of person who only focuses on WDW when I'm planning my trip. I'm not a 365-day a year kind of fan. That being said, it is my absolute favorite place to vacation. That's why we've been 5 or 6 times with my family and why my husband and I are spending our 25th wedding anniversary there in February.

I've NEVER had any serious complaints about my past trips. All I do is go on and on to people about what a wonderful place it is. I am, however, very concerned about my upcoming trip in February. And it doesn't have to do with what people are saying here. It has to do with the info I'm getting right on the WDW site. I just don't like some of their new policies and I don't think they're going to work that well for us. And there definitely does seem to be more complaining and negativism in general than in the past. There have been changes that I don't think I'm going to be crazy about, and it seems that others are not crazy about them either.

You are correct about people complaining more than praising. I think that's human nature. It's the reason that when my kids were young, I would always be sure to send an email or a note to tell their teachers and administrators if I thought they (the teachers) were doing a great job. Why I've contacted other parents to tell them if I saw their child do something extra nice or kind. I personally try to praise more than I complain. Actually, I've never contacted a school to complain about a teacher - even though they haven't all been so great. I'm a big believer in teaching my kids to get used to the fact that you need to adjust and get along in life. My point is, I'm not a whiner or a complainer!

But this is sort of the place to do complaining, isn't it? It's a public forum for people to gather information. I promise that after my trip in February, I'm coming back here to let you all know what I really thought - good and/or bad. If I'm wrong about FP+ I will be the first to admit it. Actually, nothing would make me happier.

I don't think people should be criticized for giving their honest opinion.
LOl because this is the Dis. It is like the Emerald city, people don't want to hear any thing bad every happens in the emerald city.

I rarely give full truth reviews here anymore. especially lately because I feel the dining has gone way down.
You should see the flames come out when you dare to disparage Le Cellier.

I tell newcomers all the time, the dis is great for information but it is horrible for objectivity. I much prefer all ears for Deb's rate and review. that site people can honestly rate without having to worry about told their "expectations" are too high.

What I can't understand is some times giving a negative review is not whining. I think Le Cellier has the worst steaks on site, that's not whining. I give my reasons for it and tell the person that ask to try alternatives yet if you say that you're always "whining". go figure.

What is so weird is that imo it's truly a "Disney" thing. I've written about horrible restaurants in Philly, NYC, Paris tons of places without no problem.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: