Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
JRawkSteady
Mousecessed DIS Veteran

Pop Century/Pop Warner: My Experience

So my fiancee and I stayed at Pop Century from December 5 - 8 (right during the Pop Warner fiasco) and this is our story...

First of all, we requested a quiet room, which we were told was granted. When we got to our room, we realized we were facing the pool on the 4th floor. I was skeptical that this was a quiet room, but we went with it.

The first night Pop Warner arrived, they were out by the pool screening obscenities including F-Bombs and N-words making inappropriate references to the nightly activities they would perform on various women. They were doing this until 120 AM. And we could hear them very loudly in our room. (The rooms are fairly well sound proofed, so that tells you how loud they were)

I called front desk twice about this matter and they said they would get security down there. The thing is, security WAS standing right there with a cast member and they did nothing about any of this. I had to perform early in the morning and I was unable to sleep until after they finally left, which left my voice less than desirable the next day.

Obviously I will be writing a letter, but I just want to say that every rumor about Pop Warner is 100% true. It was actually worse than I expected. Because of this (and the lines for buses), I will never stay at a value resort again.

" Imagine if the trip were not merely the width of this room but the breadth of a galaxy, the span of a universe. Well imagine no more. Because soon one of you will be taking that trip. One of you will seize the future with XS! Bon Voyage!"

Mouse Rants Podcast

JRawkSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
linnell
DIS Veteran

I was at Pop this weekend and also had a fourth floor facing a pool (the 50s section). My husband and I were going to go for a swim after our day at Epcot but then saw about 100 kids in the pool we decided to skip it. Not a big deal. They were indeed very loud and we ended up getting a white noise app for his iPhone and using it all night. Once we had that, we didn't hear anything.

I didn't find the lines to be long or any real inconvenience from the Pop Warner group.

linnell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
JRawkSteady
Mousecessed DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnell
I didn't find the lines to be long or any real inconvenience from the Pop Warner group.
You are right, the event had nothing to do with the lines for the buses. I have never stayed at a value before... therefore have never seen roped off lines for the buses at a resort. We had to wait for two or three buses to fill up in the non-covered 80 degree weather before we could actually board one. I've been going to WDW for 30 years and have never had an experience like this before.

" Imagine if the trip were not merely the width of this room but the breadth of a galaxy, the span of a universe. Well imagine no more. Because soon one of you will be taking that trip. One of you will seize the future with XS! Bon Voyage!"

Mouse Rants Podcast

Last edited by JRawkSteady; 12-09-2013 at 04:11 PM.
JRawkSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Spacepest
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRawkSteady View Post
You are right, the lines had nothing to do with the lines for the buses. I have never stayed at a value before... therefore have never seen roped off lines for the buses at a resort. We had to wait for two or three buses to fill up in the non-covered 80 degree weather before we could actually board one. I've been going to WDW for 30 years and have never had an experience like this before.
I did a split stay at Coronado Springs this year, but caught the beginning of this. Originally when I booked Coronado, Pop Warner had not released what moderate they were staying at this year. As soon as I found out, I changed my stay to another resort starting the day Pop Warner arrived. Our first half of the split stay was great, quiet with older couples, small families, honeymooners, short bus waits, plenty of space in the food court and quick service area...until the day of our check out when Pop Warner arrived. They had arrived early, all the buses were full with long waits, the food court was mobbed in the morning, and they ran around yelling and chanting. I was so glad to be switching resorts, I can't imagine how terrible it would be to stay at a hosting value, with a long bus wait in 80 degree weather with no covering.
Spacepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
AliceandAriel
part of your world!

Quote:
So my fiancee and I stayed at Pop Century from December 5 - 8 (right during the Pop Warner fiasco) and this is our story...

First of all, we requested a quiet room, which we were told was granted. When we got to our room, we realized we were facing the pool on the 4th floor. I was skeptical that this was a quiet room, but we went with it.

The first night Pop Warner arrived, they were out by the pool screening obscenities including F-Bombs and N-words making inappropriate references to the nightly activities they would perform on various women. They were doing this until 120 AM. And we could hear them very loudly in our room. (The rooms are fairly well sound proofed, so that tells you how loud they were)

I called front desk twice about this matter and they said they would get security down there. The thing is, security WAS standing right there with a cast member and they did nothing about any of this. I had to perform early in the morning and I was unable to sleep until after they finally left, which left my voice less than desirable the next day.

Obviously I will be writing a letter, but I just want to say that every rumor about Pop Warner is 100% true. It was actually worse than I expected. Because of this (and the lines for buses), I will never stay at a value resort again.
Eeeep, please don't say this be true! I'm going in February and so nervous, because POP doesn't look interesting, at all. But it was a good deal and I was itching to return...

[May 2012 Off-Site WBC][May 2013 Off-Site WBC][October 2013 AoA LM][February 2014 AoA LK][October 2014 AKV-Kidani]
AliceandAriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:

They also stay at moderates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceandAriel View Post
Eeeep, please don't say this be true! I'm going in February and so nervous, because POP doesn't look interesting, at all. But it was a good deal and I was itching to return...
This is the only week of the year that Pop Warner is there.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
christineann
DIS Veteran

AliceandAriel, we were at Pop for the first time from Nov. 30 to Dec. 5th (yes, we timed it around Pop Warner). We had a wonderful time. Mousekeeping and other staff members were great, and we utilized the bus system and did not use our car at all. We didn't eat at the food court (no time!) because we were at the parks from rope drop to close.

We take shorter vacations and do the parks every day, so I can't give an opinion about the pools. Pop was perfect for us. We requested a 4th floor room in the 70s building, which we thought would be quiet, and it was.

Have a great time!
christineann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

We checked out of Pop on December 7th. I also requested to be placed away from the Pop Warner group. We were given the 2nd floor of the 90s building facing away from the pool. It was so quiet in and around our room that I never knew they were there; until we went to use the bus transportation on Friday.

Even though we didn't have any problems at the resort with the Pop Warner group, I will never plan a vacation which overlaps their event again. I watched one of the boys with Pop Warner slap a young girl in her face and the supervising adults said nothing to him. Completely unacceptable to me.
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 40 of 40 completed! WOOHOO!
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

We had a preferred room in the 50s section (away from the pool) Dec. 5th-8th. The only time we even noticed the Pop Warner kids was at the pool in the afternoon. We didn't end up going in the pool because 50% of the kids were obnoxious, and 100% of the pool was packed full of PW players. One team was very well supervised by parents/coaches and they were well behaved. The other team was not well supervised and was constantly causing trouble and getting scolded by the lifeguards. If I had been traveling with children who wanted to swim, I would have been annoyed and complained. Since we were a party of three adults, we sucked it up and sunbathed. We are teachers, so noisy kids are generally a part of life, and we have a pretty high tolerance for them. If we thought those kids were out of line, then they definitely were.

Re: the food court. We only hit the food courts in the super early morning (7-7:30 AM) before we headed to the bus stop each day. Normally we are some of the only people in the joint at that hour. There were definitely more people there than usual at that time, but not so many that we felt jammed. The bigger problem was that Disney did not seem staffed for the crowds, and thus we experienced long waits at the cash registers. I've traveled over spring break and in the summer and I've never waited in food court lines before 8 AM until this trip.

Will I stay at a Pop Warner hotel during Pop Warner again? Maybe, but only if I could book a preferred room and did not plan on going swimming...

For what it's worth, we didn't notice the PW kids on the buses or in the parks. They were probably there, but they were with their families and not as noticeable as they are in large groups of kids.
DizneyLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
cavesrus
Mouseketeer

i know there is another youth football thing at end of dec. due to a friend of my son is going there for it. not sure of resort but i do know it is youth football thing.
cavesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Sandy Mouse
distant cousin of Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceandAriel View Post
We stay at Pop Century almost every time and love it. The bus system is the best on Disney property and the food court is great. If you want quiet make a request for a specific building. If you are flying, ask for building 4 (facing the pool is higher priced, so standard rooms face the lake and are quiet.) If you are driving, ask for building 1 or 2 or 7.

Sandy Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
pugdog
DIS Veteran

Really everyone??

We always stay at POP during the first two weeks of December.

We have been at POP since the 4th and will be here till the 18th. PW didn't even start til the 7th. Plus the kids staying here are 7-9 years old. So the slapping event was most likely another group and not PW. The only time we even noticed any PW kids was Saturday as they walked and cheered to the bus to go to WWoS. Never had an issue with the buses or in the parks with them. The food court has also been empty.

Now the two huge groups of girls from South America is another story. Each group has at least 100 girls each. Both have been nice and quiet but fill the buses quickly.

I am not affiliated with PW but am getting sick and tired of people complaining about 1% of the group and how bad they are. The vast majority of them are very pleasant kids to be around. And is the same for any large group anywhere. The time they come here never changes, it's always the first full week in December so if you don't want to be here during PW week then plan around it.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
AliceandAriel
part of your world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineann View Post
AliceandAriel, we were at Pop for the first time from Nov. 30 to Dec. 5th (yes, we timed it around Pop Warner). We had a wonderful time. Mousekeeping and other staff members were great, and we utilized the bus system and did not use our car at all. We didn't eat at the food court (no time!) because we were at the parks from rope drop to close.

We take shorter vacations and do the parks every day, so I can't give an opinion about the pools. Pop was perfect for us. We requested a 4th floor room in the 70s building, which we thought would be quiet, and it was.

Have a great time!
This is only my second time on property, and the deal for POP was just too good to pass up, so I said, "Let's try something new!" Until now, I've only seen the AoA resort (we parked it in a LM room, I don't need space, just a bed and shower, LOL.)

Finally dipped into the POP thread on here last night, and I actually think I'm going to be just fine! Sure, it isn't super themed like the LM rooms, but if it gives me a place to relax after being in the parks or DTD all day, I'm okay. Bonus, if it passes me well, I'll probably book there in October instead of AoA again.

Comments like this make me feel like I've made the right choice, haha! As for Pop Warner, good gracious... I will NEVER visit WDW in the middle of THAT.

[May 2012 Off-Site WBC][May 2013 Off-Site WBC][October 2013 AoA LM][February 2014 AoA LK][October 2014 AKV-Kidani]
Old 12-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
AliceandAriel
part of your world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Mouse View Post
We stay at Pop Century almost every time and love it. The bus system is the best on Disney property and the food court is great. If you want quiet make a request for a specific building. If you are flying, ask for building 4 (facing the pool is higher priced, so standard rooms face the lake and are quiet.) If you are driving, ask for building 1 or 2 or 7.
Thanks for the tips! I am flying down (there's no way I could handle the drive from PA to FL). I'll make sure to ask about building 4 when I check in soon.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
JessM
We all have a dream

I was just at POP 12/5-12/10, the POP warner groups never bothered us at all. We never shared a bus with them, we saw a few smaller groups, with younger Pop Warner kids but they were in now way obtrusive. We saw more of them in the parks than at the resort. We were in a preferred room in the 50's...
JessM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: