Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
wamommy2four
Mouseketeer

Mardi Gras 2014

When is Mardi Gras celebrated at Disneyland? We will be there Feb. 24-28th so we're hoping we'll get to experience something new and fun. What do they usually have going on?

Thanks!

Disneyland Memories
March 2003, May 2009, December 2011, Sept. 2012(15th Anniversary Trip), February 2014
wamommy2four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
SMD
DIS Veteran

In 2012 they has a small street performance followed by a Tiana meet and greet, it was on the weekend. This year there was a week of limited time magic, which was basically the meet and greet and some special food at 1-2 locations. They haven't announced if they'll do anything next year, nor will they until a week before.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
wamommy2four
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
In 2012 they has a small street performance followed by a Tiana meet and greet, it was on the weekend. This year there was a week of limited time magic, which was basically the meet and greet and some special food at 1-2 locations. They haven't announced if they'll do anything next year, nor will they until a week before.
Thanks for the info. It's on the Disneyland website but doesn't give any dates. It sounds like fun.

Disneyland Memories
March 2003, May 2009, December 2011, Sept. 2012(15th Anniversary Trip), February 2014
Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

A few of the characters have special Mardi Gras outfits. I think there should also be some extra beads strewn about and feathers around New Orleans Square. There will also be many ornate, detailed Mardi Gras masks adorning various lampposts and poles. Those masks go up for the holiday season (they're up now) and they stay up through DLR's Mardi Gras festivities.

In fact, there used to be a big wreath with a jester sort of character perched in the center of it, suspended over the entrance to the alley in New Orleans Square for the holidays. That impish jester and the wreath in which he sat are gone this year and they have been replaced with...a giant gold Mardi Gras mask. That giant mask can carry New Orleans Square from the holidays to Mardi Gras, whereas the old wreath probably just worked for the holidays.

It's all about the masks in NOS! It's Mask Mania!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
wamommy2four
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
A few of the characters have special Mardi Gras outfits. I think there should also be some extra beads strewn about and feathers around New Orleans Square. There will also be many ornate, detailed Mardi Gras masks adorning various lampposts and poles. Those masks go up for the holiday season (they're up now) and they stay up through DLR's Mardi Gras festivities.

In fact, there used to be a big wreath with a jester sort of character perched in the center of it, suspended over the entrance to the alley in New Orleans Square for the holidays. That impish jester and the wreath in which he sat are gone this year and they have been replaced with...a giant gold Mardi Gras mask. That giant mask can carry New Orleans Square from the holidays to Mardi Gras, whereas the old wreath probably just worked for the holidays.

It's all about the masks in NOS! It's Mask Mania!
Thank you Sherry! So it sounds like we will some decorations if we are there right before the actual holiday. It sure would be fun to see some of the Characters dressed up. My girls would be especially thrilled to meet Tiana as we haven't had the chance on our other trips.

Disneyland Memories
Old 12-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

As others have said, they have some Tiana-focused activties (show, street performance) and special foods for Mardi Gras. It's called the New Orleans Bayou Bash and Mardi Gras.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/eve...sh-mardi-gras/

Last year it ran for several weekends before Mardi Gras. The dates have not yet been announced, but I would expect it to continue next year. It looks like it ran for 5 weekends in 2012 and 4 in 2013. If I were to bet, I would guess it would start several weekends before Mardi Gras at a minimum in 2014 (I'm counting on it because I want to go!).
figment_jii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
wamommy2four
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
As others have said, they have some Tiana-focused activties (show, street performance) and special foods for Mardi Gras. It's called the New Orleans Bayou Bash and Mardi Gras.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/eve...sh-mardi-gras/

Last year it ran for several weekends before Mardi Gras. The dates have not yet been announced, but I would expect it to continue next year. It looks like it ran for 5 weekends in 2012 and 4 in 2013. If I were to bet, I would guess it would start several weekends before Mardi Gras at a minimum in 2014 (I'm counting on it because I want to go!).
Oh thanks! Hopefully they'll do a Fri., Sat., Sun. again so we can experience it. I'm always on the look out for something new to try.

Disneyland Memories
Old 02-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
ksromack
DIS Veteran

I'm hoping to catch some Mardi Gras activities this year as well. We will be there the actual week of Mardi Gras....if the festivities run only on the weekends then the Mar 7th will be our only opportunity to catch any of it.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
Here4mydisneyfix
Andrew Sutton, you genious man, you! She will remember the Rose forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksromack View Post
I'm hoping to catch some Mardi Gras activities this year as well. We will be there the actual week of Mardi Gras....if the festivities run only on the weekends then the Mar 7th will be our only opportunity to catch any of it.
We are still waiting to find out too! It DOES show Mardi Gras celebration on the map in NOS, but there still is no date on there.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #10
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

It is driving me crazy that they have not announced anything definite yet.

While a "minor" celebration to most, it is very interesting to me being from the east coast. I do not get to DL often, and would probably never be there again when it is celebrated.

Fingers crossed we will get to see it.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #11
jahexom
Mouseketeer

Mardi Gras is March 4, so I assume all festivities will be over after that. To the PP who was going to be there on March 7th, you'll come in after Mardi Gras.
jahexom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahexom View Post
Mardi Gras is March 4, so I assume all festivities will be over after that. To the PP who was going to be there on March 7th, you'll come in after Mardi Gras.
As far as I know, Disneyland hasn't announced the dates yet for this year. Last year, the festivities ended on Fat Tuesday, but in 2012 it ran for two weekends before Fat Tuesday and three weekends after Fat Tuesday. Disneyland actually calls it "New Orleans Bayou Bash and Mardi Gras", which gives more flexibility. Assuming they're going to do anything at all, I think it's "safest" to guess that this year's festivities will run from Feb 28 through Mar 4.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
SMD
DIS Veteran

The Lunar New Year weekend wasn't confirmed until a few days before, so it's probably at least 2 weeks away from an announcement. But if you consider al the construction walls in NOS right now, and the closing of Court of Angels, which was the meet and greet location, it's possible they might skip this year.

If it does happen, they might move it to DCA this year, which is what they did with Viva Navidad/Dia de los Reyes after it had been at Disneyland the previous year.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
The Lunar New Year weekend wasn't confirmed until a few days before, so it's probably at least 2 weeks away from an announcement. But if you consider al the construction walls in NOS right now, and the closing of Court of Angels, which was the meet and greet location, it's possible they might skip this year.
They announced Lunar New Year festivities on the 16th of January, so about two weeks before the start. I'm hoping they'll follow suit with Bayou Bash and announce it mid-month...

I was thinking about all the construction in NOS and wondering the same things. The meet and greet area is definitely impacted, but the construction probably doesn't affect the processional and show as much because they perform at the water edge and in the French Market. From what I've read, the NOS bathroom area is still accessible from the French Market side, which was the path the performers used last year. So hopefully they'll be able to find a new meet and greet area and have Bayou Bash again this year.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:55 PM   #15
xmansmom
Mouseketeer

We'll be there the last weekend of Mardi Gras so hopefully they'll do something. Do people dress up? Since I live on the gulf coast Mardi Gras is a big deal here so we have lots of stuff.
Last minute trip to Disneyland July/Aug 2007
Spring Break @ WDW - March 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea - July 2010
Disneyland to check out Radiator Springs July 2012
First Disney Cruise on the Magic! Feb 2013
4th of July at WDW 2013 Are we crazy??
WDW - July 2014

First trip to the dark side - July 2014

xmansmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: