Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

I'm terrified of the dentist and haven't been in over 18 years. I only went then because I broke a tooth while out to eat with a friend who worked at a dental office. She set up the appointment for me and held my hand the whole time.

I know I need to go because I have a visible cavity in a front tooth that should be taken care of before I lose the tooth. I need to find an office that will do sedation for everything because I'll be hyperventilating just walking in the door. Just thinking about it makes my stomach upset.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! I would rather go to ANY doctor than the dentist. I would rather get a shot every day for a year than go see the dentist. It's absolutely ridiculous, but there never really is anything major wrong. I've only had one filling ever, and that was when I was 25. I have never needed a root canal, a crown, a bridge, or anything like that. I hate the sounds of the scraping and the spit sucker thing. I hate the way the polisher feels and sounds. And I am absolutely terrified that they will find something wrong, have to drill some, pull some, do some root canals, etc. Of course, if I would just be diligent and go every 6 months, the anxiety before each appointment MIGHT be worse. I mean, I work up in my mind that I haven't been in so long that they HAVE to find something wrong. Ugh. I wish I was not a mental nut when it came to the dentist. At least I am in good company, though.

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
Kimberle
WL Vet

Sorry for your fear. It is important to keep up with your dental health. Issues can sometimes affect your overall health. I have a friend who had dental "fear" as well. When she was 52, she had to have all her teeth pulled due to their poor condition. It's been 2 years, and she still struggles with her dentures.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
Sorry for your fear. It is important to keep up with your dental health. Issues can sometimes affect your overall health. I have a friend who had dental "fear" as well. When she was 52, she had to have all her teeth pulled due to their poor condition. It's been 2 years, and she still struggles with her dentures.

The weird thing is, I KNOW THIS. It happened to my aunt. Still, they need to come up with a shot that can just get me in the front door first. Like most fears, mine is totally irrational. But it is still a fear nonetheless.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
The weird thing is, I KNOW THIS. It happened to my aunt. Still, they need to come up with a shot that can just get me in the front door first. Like most fears, mine is totally irrational. But it is still a fear nonetheless.

Medication for anxiety, Hypnosis. & Sleep Dentistry. Maybe, some aid can be considered.
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
Surfinpiratee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I just got back from the dentist. It had been a while since my last check-up. Four and a half years since my last check-up, actually. I hate going to the dentist. Absolutely hate it. I can't stand the sounds of the place, I never like the flavor of polish they use, and I just don't like to go. So, I build it up in my mind to be this horrible event and psych myself up so much that it takes forever before I ever make another appointment. Then, when I do finally make an appointment, I absolutely dread it, assume the worst, and just drive myself nuts thinking of all the things that could possibly be found. Then I go, and there is absolutely nothing wrong. Not even so much as a cavity. Why do I do this to myself? Why can't I just be a normal person who goes to the dentist every 6 months and gets on with my life? Anyone else a major dentist wuss?
I'm the exact same way. I've NEVER had a cavity. So why I always think they're going to find something wrong is beyond me! Heck, I don't mind going to the Gynecologist one bit! That place makes more sense to me to be scared of! Ha!!

But yeah, it's been like, 4 years since I've been to the dentist. I really hate them. Like, a lot.

Next Disney Vacation in the works!

Current PTR: We must return to the magic!
Surfinpiratee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #22
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
I just got back from the dentist. It had been a while since my last check-up. Four and a half years since my last check-up, actually. I hate going to the dentist. Absolutely hate it. I can't stand the sounds of the place, I never like the flavor of polish they use, and I just don't like to go. So, I build it up in my mind to be this horrible event and psych myself up so much that it takes forever before I ever make another appointment. Then, when I do finally make an appointment, I absolutely dread it, assume the worst, and just drive myself nuts thinking of all the things that could possibly be found. Then I go, and there is absolutely nothing wrong. Not even so much as a cavity. Why do I do this to myself? Why can't I just be a normal person who goes to the dentist every 6 months and gets on with my life? Anyone else a major dentist wuss?
Me. I've been known to throw up in the parking lot. I have severe dental anxiety. What works for me is a dose of Xanax, nitrous oxide as soon as they take me back. They turn it up relatively high, put ear phones on with the TV turned to the Food Channel, and cover me up with a fuzzy blanket. Seriously. And that's just for cleaning and Xrays.

Recently I had to have a root canal and a crown. You can just imagine my fear. They gave me some serious sedation and I swear, it knocked me out. They said I was conscious but I don't remember a thing. Now, that's my kind of dentistry!
Old 12-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #23
Pikester
DIS Veteran

I'm with all of you. I too had a horrible child hood experience where a tooth was pulled with out Novocain and since then I have total anxiety about visits. I didn't take care of my teeth when I was young so all my fillings are starting to break down, I've had one molar pulled, have had to get replacement fillings to get rid up decay under the old ones, a root canal and have to wait to get the crown in the new year because that is when my insurance kicks in again. I'll be driving over an hour tomorrow to see the dentist about the tooth I got the root canal in to make sure how it's been feeling is normal. I do keep my teeth very clean now but the damage was done.

Pikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #24
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLDERS View Post
Medication for anxiety, Hypnosis. & Sleep Dentistry. Maybe, some aid can be considered.
But they won't let me in drunk!
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

Quote:
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! I would rather go to ANY doctor than the dentist. I would rather get a shot every day for a year than go see the dentist. It's absolutely ridiculous, but there never really is anything major wrong. I've only had one filling ever, and that was when I was 25. I have never needed a root canal, a crown, a bridge, or anything like that. I hate the sounds of the scraping and the spit sucker thing. I hate the way the polisher feels and sounds. And I am absolutely terrified that they will find something wrong, have to drill some, pull some, do some root canals, etc. Of course, if I would just be diligent and go every 6 months, the anxiety before each appointment MIGHT be worse. I mean, I work up in my mind that I haven't been in so long that they HAVE to find something wrong. Ugh. I wish I was not a mental nut when it came to the dentist. At least I am in good company, though.
YESSSSS. I could have written this myself. I had been really good about going every six months (they day of that appt it always seems like the fastest six months EVER!) despite my fear and hatred of it. Then I missed an appointment like 2 years ago, then I was pregnant so I told myself to skip it b/c they can't do the x-rays, now I say I can't go because who would watch my baby....excuses, excuses...

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #26
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We know a great dentist in Newbury Park who is the best we have ever used. Send me a PM and I'll give you his info.
familyoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #27
MouseLover
DIS Veteran

I have tremendous fear of dentist too. Going every six months as a child , I nearly always needed fillings. My baby teeth had no enamel. I now haven't been in 3 years and I dread it due to pain and costs. I'm sure I need a root canal and crown. Last time I had that procedure it cost me $800 out of pocket after insurance paid. That was several years ago. I just cannot afford to go right now. Even if that means losing my tooth.

MouseLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #28
lauradis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But they won't let me in drunk!
velum? sp mother little helper pills.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: