Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Going to the dentist - why do I always do this to myself?

I just got back from the dentist. It had been a while since my last check-up. Four and a half years since my last check-up, actually. I hate going to the dentist. Absolutely hate it. I can't stand the sounds of the place, I never like the flavor of polish they use, and I just don't like to go. So, I build it up in my mind to be this horrible event and psych myself up so much that it takes forever before I ever make another appointment. Then, when I do finally make an appointment, I absolutely dread it, assume the worst, and just drive myself nuts thinking of all the things that could possibly be found. Then I go, and there is absolutely nothing wrong. Not even so much as a cavity. Why do I do this to myself? Why can't I just be a normal person who goes to the dentist every 6 months and gets on with my life? Anyone else a major dentist wuss?

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I used to be.

The longest I went was 5 years. Then I moved and found a dentist at my new place that was pretty cool so I tried to be better. Since that time (it has been about 18 years), I have gone every six months. I still hate going, I get really wound up before I go, and I just want to cancel but I push through.

I have no clue why I am like this. I have not had a cavity since I have had permanent teeth. The only thing I can think is that when I was six years old, I had a cavity in one of my baby teeth. The dentist filled it, without Novacaine, and it was pretty horrific.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95

Last edited by Christine; 12-03-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I used to be.

The longest I went was 5 years. Then I moved and found a dentist at my new place that was pretty cool so I tried to be better. Since that time (it has been about 18 years), I have gone every six months. I still hate going, I get really wound up before I go, and I just want to cancel but I push through.

I have no clue why I am like this. I have not had a cavity since I have had permanent teeth. The ony thing I can think is that when I was six years old, I had a cavity in one of my baby teeth. The dentist filled it, without Novacaine, and it was pretty horrific.
Well that sounds terrible! I have only had one filling in my life, but I can't imagine how terrible it would have been without Novocaine. Yikes!

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Well that sounds terrible! I have only had one filling in my life, but I can't imagine how terrible it would have been without Novocaine. Yikes!
double yikes!
Old 12-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Back in the 1960s (and that's when it was) they thought that children didn't have much nerve sensitivity and did not *need* numbing for a filling. I think I could have told them differently!!! It was really painful.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Yes, I went years without seeing one too. Had 3 cavities and needed a root canal and a crown. $2000 out of pocket (had crappy dental insurance). Maybe had a gone every 6 months I wouldn't have had needed all that?

I'm going every 6 months now.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

I always make my next 6 month appointment before I leave the office after my check-up. That way it done and I can't procrastinate calling and setting up an appointment. If the time doesn't work in 6 months when they call to confirm I just set up another time then. It works for me because I would probably put it off a lot longer.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

I just went to the dentist after four years, but that's more because we don't have dental and after paying for 4 kids to go every 6 months I'm kind of done with dental bills. I did have 3 small cavities and was horribly dreading having them filled but it was quick and semi-painless so I don't know why I was fretting it so much.
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

I'm the last person to ask. As we speak, well one of us can speak! I have 2 temporary molar fillings. One more wk before permanents. It will be 4 appts = $$ (b/c 1st impressions were not lab friendly) before I'm done. These fillings were 10 yrs old. I'd broken one on a Christmas goodie then the neighbouring filling decided to join in the fun. I'd maxed out on Coverage in one yr period exrays cleaning ie so. . . this is an unexpected expense before Christmas!
Bau (sp.?) Humbug!

Seriously, I've always gone every 6 mos for the past 43ish yrs. A lot of family & friends sport dentures as they did not!
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

I am jealous of those who got every 6 months as I have to go every 4.
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just got back from the dentist. It had been a while since my last check-up. Four and a half years since my last check-up, actually. I hate going to the dentist. Absolutely hate it. I can't stand the sounds of the place, I never like the flavor of polish they use, and I just don't like to go. So, I build it up in my mind to be this horrible event and psych myself up so much that it takes forever before I ever make another appointment. Then, when I do finally make an appointment, I absolutely dread it, assume the worst, and just drive myself nuts thinking of all the things that could possibly be found. Then I go, and there is absolutely nothing wrong. Not even so much as a cavity. Why do I do this to myself? Why can't I just be a normal person who goes to the dentist every 6 months and gets on with my life? Anyone else a major dentist wuss?
I guess because you can lol. DH is the same way. He went after not going for a long while and nothing.

I HAVE to go every 6 months. I have a lot of dental work in my mouth.

I am really, really trying to be more meticulous with my teeth so I do not lose one of my molars.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
aprilchem
DIS Veteran

Yes, I HATE to go to the dentist. I had a really, really bad experience with an oral surgeon when I was in grad school and ever since then I've had a major phobia. Luckily I have really good teeth so when I do force myself to go I never have any issues. I'm thinking of trying sedation dentistry (that's how bad it is!).
aprilchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I'm petrified and it takes a LOT to make me go. In the last three years, I've made and cancelled several appointments. I just can't go, even though since the incident below happened years ago and I have been back since.

When I was in my early teens, I had my wisdom teeth pulled. All four at once and they just kept shooting me over and over again with novocaine. The last tooth refused to budge so they left me in the chair for about a a half hour, tending to another patient. They came back to me and tried again. The numbness has worn off so the nurse held me down while my tooth was chipped away at until it could be pulled. Talk about pain AND humiliation! I was crying but no one cared.

I had no idea that most other dentists do sedation for doing all four wisdom teeth at once.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

Quote:
Yes, this is me exactly. I HATE it. Had some traumatic experiences as a kid and also had a follow-up procedure when a wisdom tooth removal got infected that led to half my tongue being numb for several months (with the fear it was going to stay that way!!). I put it off and dread going. I HATE the feeling of them scraping my teeth and the polish going on.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
penn19
DIS Veteran

Hate it with a passion. Traumatic experiences as a kid. Its still in my head after all these years. No novacaine, and the Dentist was very intimidating. I finally found a good dentist and I go every 6 months. They are really good with me because they know I sit in the chair and break out in a cold sweat. And thats just for a cleaning.
penn19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: