Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #61
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

I had a few jobs in high school - grocery store clerk, waitress at a fried chicken place, and finally, preschool aide. That is the one that I stuck with. I worked 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. Made $5/hour. $200 a month was a lot back in the day - paid for gas, spending money, etc. And, I was home for homework, etc. It never interfered with my schooling, and I made money. I cannot remember how I worked it around sports - I played volleyball and ran track.

ETA: I will definitely encourage my kids to get jobs in high school. Insurance for teenage boys is going to be high enough as is - they will need to contribute. Both will be in private high schools, as well, and I will need to have them pitch in.

DS #1 just told me the other day he cannot wait until he is old enough to work at Subway so he can "finally afford that Cadillac Escalade". He is 9...and has high hopes, apparently!

Editing again - I worked this preschool job in the summer, too. 6a - 3pm or so each day. It was very nice to have my own cash, to contribute to my parents, and to get that work experience...I really feel the sooner you can get it, the better. I told my older son I want him to start offering his lawn mowing services next summer - he will be 10. We have a lot of single, older women in our neighborhood that I know would be more than thrilled to offer out $5/mow. If he does that for a few of them every 1-2 weeks, he will make a nice little bundle come summers end.

Last edited by Minnesota!; 12-04-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #62
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTogether View Post
I honestly hope that some of the kids of those who don't believe that their kids should work until out of school end up employed by my kid. I believe that education is learned not just from books or in classrooms but in real world situations.

I want my kid babysitting, reffing soccer games and doing unpaid internships to get that real world experience. My kid will pay for college, a car, gas, a phone and will only get that through hard work.
There is more than one way for a kid to get the skills needed for the "real world". Fast food jobs and baby sitting are not always the best way to get those skills.

Like I said before, high school sports and activities are one of the best ways to get these skills.

Its quite alright for you to decide that your kids should pay for college, car, etc. but its quite alright for others to decide their kids work in a different way to pay for those things.

I can name three adults off the top of my head that never held a job until college age--all make a tremendous amount of money and all have been very successful in their fields. They learned things like work ethics through a different means than your kids will learn it, but they still learned it.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #63
bettymae1121
sure. fine. whatever.

I not only worked 15-20 hours a week (30+ over the summer) I was usually in a play or musical at any given time on top of it. Granted I wasn't a 4.0 student, but I wouldn't have been even if I wasn't working or in extra activities, I was a lazy student. I'd have pulled B's/C's either way just because I hated doing homework.

I started working (regular babysitting gig watching kids afterschool/weekends/summers) at age 12 and got a "real" job at McD's the day I turned 16.

I think the average kid should be able to handle at least a part time job on the weekends and something over the summer. If a kid is really heavy into sports or other activities or is having trouble in some of their classes and need to put in extra time studying, that's a different equation. But the typical kid can (and should) work, IMO.

bettymae1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #64
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I agree that it depends on the teen and on the area.

I worked in highschool, about 20 hours a week as well as having great grades and being actively involved in theatre. Truthfully, while it seems like a lot now when I look back on the hours I was putting in, I did not even feel busy back then. A lot of that stuff came naturally to me--sports, on the other hand, did not. Had i been forced to partake in a sport, I would have been miserable and probably felt very insecure (I was fit--I walked and biked and hiked all the time, but not goo at organized sports).

I often wish that afterschool jobs existed here in Germany. They really o not, only kids in the lower "trade" schools can "work" as apprentices in things like fast food places, preschools, stores, etc--all the typical teen jobs in the US. The only options we've seen have been babysitting and pet sitting and those are hard to come by since nearly everyone lives near family and has grandparents and aunts and uncles willing to watch the kids.

My daughter is like me and can do well with academics and also hold down a job, if she had the chance. She'd like the experiences a job offers (and the money) but does not have the chance. She does volunteer quite a bit, as much as she can find opportunities.

DS is the child I really wish could work an after school job. He actually struggles with academics (other than math) but more time is not going to help him (he has some learning disabilities, and is in a lot of therapy to help those already). I'd like to see him getting working skills and gaining confidence that he can do things that are valued in the real world, to combat the constant feelings of failure he can get from academic classes at school.
He is in a school now that has a working farm--that is going a long way towards filling that gap, he is GREAT at building fences, sheering sheep, and generally keeping up with farm workings and knowing what needs to be done without being asked--so he is seeing that he does have skills, even if they are not in the reading and writing category

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #65
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Depends on the child and the circumstance. I don't believe that all kids should work, in fact I mostly believe that they shouldn't.

My DD just got home from cheer about an hour ago. She went straight from school, had a private lesson, a small break and then her practice. Home from that, dinner shower and is now at 11:00 pm doing homework that was assigned today, due tomorrow. This will most likely take her until midnight to finish. She is in advanced classes and last term made straight "A's"

She has practice 3 times a week and sometimes on weekends, then we get into competition season. There is NO time for work and as long as she is active and making good grades, as job isn't even on my radar. A job would interrupt her activities, and for many reasons, I will not have that.

Now, DS will get a job in the summer, but not while school in in session. He is a junior and has one activity, but I want all of his time to be focused on his grades and his activity.

Youngest son is always looking for a way to make a buck, he is only 13. He will be the one out there busting his rear end as soon as he is legal to work and I am ok with that. It just fits his personality.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: