Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #46
KAMLEM
DIS Veteran
Likes her little penguin.
Tried to pay for lunch with WHAT?
Always remember - sticky side DOWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTogether View Post
I honestly hope that some of the kids of those who don't believe that their kids should work until out of school end up employed by my kid.
Just because a kid doesn't work in high school doesn't mean they will be less successful than one who does. My DD didn't have her first job until after her freshman year in college. When she was in high school she played soccer year round and we considered that her job (as well as maintaining good grades). She put in endless hours training and was able to get a great athletic scholarship worth much more than she ever would have earned in part time and summer jobs. She's now playing soccer in college and her team participates in all kinds of volunteer activities and charitable causes. She has worked as hard as any kid babysitting or refereeing soccer games.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #47
hereyago
DIS Veteran

I suppose it should be a case by case basis.

My df bought me a used car when I was 15, a pinto. Anyway, he said you want something better? Work for it. So I did jobs like cut grass and wash cars, etc while going to school.

So I saved and also spent money on my own clothes, gas, phone line(Oh yes the 80's). And I traded up.

In 11th and 12 grades, I attended a magnet school for childcare. Well, during the second year, part of the requirement for credit was to work as a babysitter or child care aide in a child care facility part time. The teacher would help you with your resume and help set up interviews with parents or child care places that needed help.
hereyago is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #48
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

I say part-time summer/school break jobs are a good thing, but wouldn't want my kids to work much when school is on, or to have to work full time in the summer either.

DD15 has been wanting to make some money, but I didn't know what would work out- we live in the country and there aren't lots of options in our small town. There are absolutely no kids in our rural neighborhood to babysit. And I didn't want her weekends tied up all the time. Turns out a couple of weeks ago the cleaning lady at my office quit. So DD15 now cleans the office once a week. It is $35 per cleaning and takes her 1 to 1.5 hours and she can do it any weekend evening that works for us. I have to take her so I get groceries or do stuff at the office. For now, this is perfect. It's flexible and doesn't interfere with school or sports. When she gets older, she can add a summer job somewhere else no problem. I would prefer that she not work at another job during the school year though.

I worked as a nurse aide at the nursing home during summers, some weekends, and Christmas breaks from the time I was 15 till I was out of college. I didn't work when school was on.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of Godó not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #49
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMLEM View Post
Just because a kid doesn't work in high school doesn't mean they will be less successful than one who does. My DD didn't have her first job until after her freshman year in college. When she was in high school she played soccer year round and we considered that her job (as well as maintaining good grades). She put in endless hours training and was able to get a great athletic scholarship worth much more than she ever would have earned in part time and summer jobs. She's now playing soccer in college and her team participates in all kinds of volunteer activities and charitable causes. She has worked as hard as any kid babysitting or refereeing soccer games.
I think a lot has to do with circumstances. If the economy is soft, or your kid has less than exceptional college grades, or picks the wrong major, etc, it could be tough landing your first job at 22. Not that job history is a guarantee either, but it can't hurt.

At the end of the day, job experience is another feather in your cap. And these days, you want all those you can get.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #50
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjscheel View Post
DD15 has been wanting to make some money, but I didn't know what would work out- we live in the country and there aren't lots of options in our small town. There are absolutely no kids in our rural neighborhood to babysit. And I didn't want her weekends tied up all the time. Turns out a couple of weeks ago the cleaning lady at my office quit. So DD15 now cleans the office once a week. It is $35 per cleaning and takes her 1 to 1.5 hours and she can do it any weekend evening that works for us. I have to take her so I get groceries or do stuff at the office. For now, this is perfect. It's flexible and doesn't interfere with school or sports.
I think a lot of people would be amazed how many odd jobs there are for teens at their place of employment

As for other potential work, what about the local farms? I have a relative with a dairy operation who actually prefers to hire girls for tractor work because he says they follow directions better (says he has to tell all the boys one gear lower than he wants because they all end up shifting up one from what he says ).
Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #51
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradis View Post
how did they force you. I have heard of some parents say no work no car.
I was raised a lot differently than my siblings. I was the only girl.

My mother said that if I "wanted" stuff, I had to make my own money. Any time I asked for something, she would tell me to get a job (new clothes, etc. - stuff that kids actually NEED - I was not a brand name or expensive kid). If I did not have a job, they would pile household chores and make me watch my younger siblings (I am the oldest child) all the time. She had me collecting job applications at age 15 and had me babysitting strangers kids at age 12.

Flash forward to today, where my 26yo brother still lives at home and has never had a job, and my youngest brother is 20, works full time, yet still lives at home.

I carry a lot of resentment and have issues for the way my parents have totally backpedaled on their child-rearing ways.
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #52
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

It can be good, but it's not necessarily better than having enriching after-school activities (r.g., sports, drama, etc.). My parents' policy when I was growing up was no real jobs until high school. After that I was not permitted to work (except odd jobs like babysitting) during the school year, but was expected to have a part-time job during the summer.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #53
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

It depends. If a child lives in a household that is financially stable, then no, I think a child should focus on school. If a child needs to work to help with the family income or to save for college, then sure, whatever.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #54
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
Dumb nosy question....why did you need your own phone? They wouldn't let you make calls?
Many reasons: Remember this was mid to late 80s

My parents were old fashioned. No calling boys at all at any time for any reason (was considered too forward)

My mom used the phone a lot- they didn't have call waiting, voice mail or call forwarding- and there were lots of busy signals.

My dad also worked crazy shifts (midnight, grave shift, overnight) and if he heard us talking there was heck to pay

And lastly, teenage girls don't want anyone to hear conversations
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #55
coinkc
You can find some hot dates at Six Flags St. Louis!

My daughter is a senior this year. Starting last summer (when she was 16) she had to get a summer job. Other than that, I don't expect her to work. She is a dancer and a cheerleader and taking honors classes. That's enough!
coinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #56
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Yes I think HS aged kids should work and I do expect mine to start looking for part time jobs when they turn 16. To me that is part of learning how to become a responsible, independent adult. Its how I and dh were raised so I don't see any reason to not raise our kids the same.
(And because I know its coming, that certainly doesn't mean I think those who don't work will end up irresponsible and dependent on others ).
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #57
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

Some kids just can't have a job during the school year. My daughter is a junior taking all accelerated or AP classes plus another class at the college where my husband teaches. She has hours of homework plus a few school activities including key club ( community volunteer) during the week and the weekends. She needs some downtime to keep up with this schedule, too. I think the money she will get for scholarships and keeping her grades up in order to get into a good school outweighs the benefits of a job.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #58
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Depends on the kid.

Prior to age 16 I baby sat. After age 26 I worked probably 10-15 hours/ week.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #59
mickeyfan9194
Mouseketeer

I think it depends on the child, what they want, and why. I canít imagine telling my kids that they HAVE to get a job, nor can I imagine telling them they CANíT have a job. They are old enough to help make that decision by high school.

Our oldest son had ADHD and struggled with school and organization in general. We had the rule that you couldnít have a car until you had a job. But we also provided opportunities to make money by doing chores. He was satisfied with his allowance, as he wasnít extremely social and didnít require much.

Our youngest son was just the opposite. Bright, outstanding student, outgoing, type A personality. He wanted to work for the experience, money, and because he was bored without something to do all of the time. His grades never suffered for working.

They are just 2 different people, both successful in their own ways. Oldest child didnít get a car/license or a job until he was 18 and graduated. Youngest had his license/car/job at 16. They are both happy with their decisions.
mickeyfan9194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #60
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I was told I HAD to get a job when I turned 15. I've been working ever since. I believe high school aged kids should be working.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: