Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Secret Santa Gift

I always hate these things! I am participating in one.

This is what I've purchased so far
A bikini and bottoms...Figured this was useful since she travels to Florida quite often!
A pair of denim shorts to go with it.
A pair of PJ shorts with a Christmas Theme
and a pair of cozy socks.

I'm not sure if this is good enough, or fun enough! I don't want to appear cheap. I also asked her size via a friend. Ordered two just in case.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post

A bikini and bottoms...Figured this was useful since she travels to Florida quite often!

I'm not sure if this is good enough, or fun enough! I don't want to appear cheap. I also asked her size via a friend. Ordered two just in case.
Holy cow that's a lot of stuff. I am doing one at work and the max price is $10.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Callie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
Holy cow that's a lot of stuff. I am doing one at work and the max price is $10.
Ours is $20, but I got this stuff UNDER that amount. I could still throw in some candy
Old 12-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Is this a family member or very close friend you are buying for?

I personally would never buy a bathing suit for someone else.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
nighttowll
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Me personally, I could never feel comfortable buying or receiving a bathing suit. Shirts and pajamas yes, but pants, skirts, dresses, or bathing suits no. This is because women's sizes vary so greatly. I wear a 10/12 kids, but also have pants that are women's 00, 2, 4, and 5. Even within the same brand I may wear different sizes in different styles, and can try on hundreds of bathing suits before finding one I feel comfortable wearing that fits just right. Maybe other women are different, but I could never purchase a bathing suit without trying it on first. It's just too personal of a thing that has to fit just right. Shorts are kind of the same, and can be hard to fit as well. Just because they are my size, doesn't mean they fit. Pajamas are made to fit looser and are pretty safe for fitting more than one body type. I'd also think about scarves, hats, lotion, or soap, maybe a fun bag or purse to stick everything in, instead of the bathing suit. If she likes Florida a lot try a fun beach towel or cool sun glasses. If you just really want to buy beach clothes, try a free flowing sundress or really cute bathing suit cover up. There is a greater chance those will fit more different types of body types. I'd appreciate that much more than a bathing suit I probably wouldn't wear because it most likely wouldn't fit.
nighttowll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowll View Post
Me personally, I could never feel comfortable buying or receiving a bathing suit. Shirts and pajamas yes, but pants, skirts, dresses, or bathing suits no. This is because women's sizes vary so greatly. I wear a 10/12 kids, but also have pants that are women's 00, 2, 4, and 5. Even within the same brand I may wear different sizes in different styles, and can try on hundreds of bathing suits before finding one I feel comfortable wearing that fits just right. Maybe other women are different, but I could never purchase a bathing suit without trying it on first. It's just too personal of a thing that has to fit just right. Shorts are kind of the same, and can be hard to fit as well. Just because they are my size, doesn't mean they fit. Pajamas are made to fit looser and are pretty safe for fitting more than one body type. I'd also think about scarves, hats, lotion, or soap, maybe a fun bag or purse to stick everything in, instead of the bathing suit. If she likes Florida a lot try a fun beach towel or cool sun glasses. If you just really want to buy beach clothes, try a free flowing sundress or really cute bathing suit cover up. There is a greater chance those will fit more different types of body types. I'd appreciate that much more than a bathing suit I probably wouldn't wear because it most likely wouldn't fit.

Yeah, I would totally stay away from buying clothes for anyone I wasn't super, super close to. Definitely not a bathing suit!

$20 Secret Santa to me means a bottle of booze.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
Callie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelch10377 View Post
Is this a family member or very close friend you are buying for?

I personally would never buy a bathing suit for someone else.
She is a sorority sister, who I considered myself pretty close with. I did ask her what size she wore, saying I may have a few extra ones laying around. I bought two different sizes as well!
She also gave me her pant size, so I bought 2 different sizes.

I'll write a note that if it doesn't fit, I'll replace it!
Old 12-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
She is a sorority sister, who I considered myself pretty close with. I did ask her what size she wore, saying I may have a few extra ones laying around. I bought two different sizes as well!
She also gave me her pant size, so I bought 2 different sizes.

I'll write a note that if it doesn't fit, I'll replace it!
I don't think it has anything to do with size, but more what they would be comfortable wearing, To me buying someone a bathing suit would be like buying someone underwear, but that is just my opinion.

I would keep the PJ bottoms, and socks and maybe get a tank to wear with the bottoms and then get her maybe a movie and some movie snacks. It would be a nice themed gift.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
nighttowll
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I don't think it has anything to do with size, but more what they would be comfortable wearing, To me buying someone a bathing suit would be like buying someone underwear, but that is just my opinion.
Exactly.

Quote:
I would keep the PJ bottoms, and socks and maybe get a tank to wear with the bottoms and then get her maybe a movie and some movie snacks. It would be a nice themed gift.
I also really like your movie themed idea. You could even get one of those cute movie theater popcorn buckets to put everything in or one of those little fleece throws everybody has for sale this time of year.
nighttowll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

You may know her size, but that doesn't guarantee she's built the same way you are. If she's big up top, and you're not, you probably haven't thought about the fact that her bikini tops are cantilevered affairs with lots of architecture going on. If you've got generous curves and she doesn't, you probably tend towards a suit that illustrates your curves and celebrates them; she probably buys suits and create those curves, which would look dreadful on you (and the same would be true if she put on your suit). You might be short waisted and she might be long waisted - you'd each tend towards completely different suits, even if you had the same exact basic measurements and sizing! Heck, even if your body shapes are identical, she may prefer these colors because they don't tend to bleed in the wash while you prefer those colors because they look good with your tan.

I really would stay away from a bikini as a present, even for an identical twin sister!
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

I also think a gift of a bikini is very "different".

What about a beach towel and flip flops and sunscreen wrapped in a cute beach bag instead?
Southernmiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Callie

I'll skip on the swim idea now after your input.
I'll get a tank top, some hot chocolate, and something else that is small. I guess I just didn't think about all the possibilities as far as style issues.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: