Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy

Does anyone have ADT security system??

Pros and Cons???

Have a schedule for installation next week for 49$, best deal I found..Anyone have any positive or negatives??

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Art 1
DIS Veteran

I have had no problems with them.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Oh, add the warranty to your monthly payment. Well worth it if something goes bad with the equipment.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
bratgirl
Earning My Ears

I have them in two homes and like it. Do add warranty. I have only had to use it twice in 10 years. By well worth the peace of mind. I also have the feature where I can call in my house to make sure the alarm is set or to turn it off. While we are gone we have neighbors who check our house and I can check to make sure they set the alarm. I can also turn it off if someone need to get in who has a key but not a clicker and they are unsure on how to work the system.
bratgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

We use them too and have for the last 13 years. We have not had a problem yet, knock on wood. 😃
Old 12-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Signed up with ADT over 19 years ago. The only complaint I have (and have ever had) is their rising monitoring prices. I'm paying I think $45 per month now? Yep, just verified it. It was $19/mo when we signed up. I know about inflation but I think that's way too excessive.

And I've never had to use it, but I like it that way.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

My mom had a system put in 8 years ago. No issues. To get the bargain price, she had to sign up for 3 years monitoring, but that cost less than paying full price for the system. She did not renew after that, primarily because Police here do not respond to residential burglar alarms unless they get a call from someone inside the house at the time the alarm is activated reporting a break-in in progress.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
Mom21
DIS Veteran

No problems here. In fact I set off the panic button this morning in my sleeping stupor. They called immediately and verified I was ok. Stupid me.

Adding they know what kind of alarm. Usually it is my dd forgetting to turn off alarm before leaving in the morning. This time they were even more concerned because it was panic. I'm not a panic person, but I do keep an alarm fob by the bedside table. I never set the alarm in the day when we go out for a few minutes. I do set nightly, and when we go on trips. I don't think they've gone longer than 30 seconds to call me.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #9
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

We are ordering the Simplisafe system this week. It's highly recommended and much less expensive than ADT. You install it yourself--no wires.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #10
CF'er
Mine's so padded I'm afraid the heat would melt them

My DH had ADT at his old house and after he and his ex separated (she stayed in the house) he continued to pay the bill. The bill was in his name. He then got tired of paying for the service and tried to cancel but because the EX had changed the security password they wouldn't let him cancel the service. He tried to explain the situation but to no avail. He even had a couple people on the phone agree to cancel but he continued to get bills from them. They were plenty ok with cashing the checks though. They have now sent him to collections.

CF'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
barkley
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
My mom had a system put in 8 years ago. No issues. To get the bargain price, she had to sign up for 3 years monitoring, but that cost less than paying full price for the system. She did not renew after that, primarily because Police here do not respond to residential burglar alarms unless they get a call from someone inside the house at the time the alarm is activated reporting a break-in in progress.

this raises a good point-find out what your local law enforcement policy is regarding responding to residential alarms. in the area we lived in the police kept responding to false alarms so the city enacted a tolerance level-if your alarm went off so many times (on a false basis) you were charged for each subsequent dispatch.

if you do sign up let your insurance company know-they may give a discount on your policy.

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Never had a problem with ADT.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
doxdogy
Owned by doxies!
I remember the day I turned into my parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
If you mom lives in California, the maximum monitoring is two years. Also you can have it set up to call the home before or after authorities.
doxdogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxdogy View Post
If you mom lives in California, the maximum monitoring is two years. Also you can have it set up to call the home before or after authorities.
Could have been 2 years, it was whatever the minimum was.

No need for them to call the house, if the alarm goes off and I'm home, I'm calling 9-1-1, and that WOULD get a police response.
And if I'm not home, I hope the siren would scare the burglars away since police would not respond if nobody is home.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

We have ADT and have never had any problems with it. It has never gone off except when we forget to disarm it before opening the door.

We pay I think $5 more per month for our monitoring because we do not have a land line phone and we have a cellular uplink box installed in our house.

We got free installation and made the deal where we would get the smoke detector added and a back door alarm/siren for $50. I wanted a siren at the front door and a siren at the back door because even though they are the loudest in the industry if your house is very large, that siren won't wake you up at the other end of the house.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: