Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 05:15 AM   #31
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Up until Christmas two years ago I would send out picture cards. The kids were starting to balk at the idea since they are older now. I had planned on cards last year when a family member had a terrible health emergency. Like others have said we had been sending/receiving fewer cards each year. I haven't decided what to do yet this year. I feel bad not sending cards to the older relatives in the family as they are the ones who always send cards to us. Maybe we'll just send out a handful - not sure yet.

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #32
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

I only send one if we receive one. Our list has gotten quite small. I remember "back in the day" Christmas cards were such a nice thing and all. I dunno, I guess it is laziness on my part but I just really don't like filling them out anymore. Maybe it is Facebook updates and stuff, you stay informed about people and all so much as it is, don't really feel the need to connect via cards anymore.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #33
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I send them. I have several older relatives who I know enjoy receiving them. I don't send as many as I used to.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #34
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

Nope. I got tired of sending the things.

We send cards and presents to overseas military instead. Better use of my time and funds.
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #35
suzimar57
when i do put some makeup on, he's stunned!
loose screw i find in his work pants
It's cheesy, in a fun sort of way!

only send out about 15 cards (mainly to older relatives)

guessing in a few years, it will be down to zero cards...
Old 12-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #36
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Yes, I still send out Christmas cards.

I buy special ones for family, then a box of regular to send out. Usually send 25-30 families. Seems like each year I stop sending to 1 or 2 though, mostly when elderly people pass away.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #37
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

I love getting Christmas cards, so I always try to send Christmas cards. I figure if I only send them to people who've sent them to me, and the people on the other end are saying the same thing, I'll very soon have no one to send--we'll just be sitting there waiting for the other person to start. I feel like Christmas cards are a blind faith sort of thing.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #38
Pre
Mouseketeer

I sent out about 30 this year and my list got longer. In the past I send them to friends from school I don't see anymore. The list this year included my friends and family who lost spouses,parents, children this year. I wanted to include them just to say I'm still thinking of them.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 12-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #39
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

I still send out Christmas cards. I love getting the cards and putting them on the display. I really like the ones that include a note or letter(yeah that's a whole 'nother dis discussion!) because we have friends and family all over the world.

I also write a message in each card about something funny or sentimental to us regarding that person/family. I bring my box of cards everywhere starting yesterday and anytime I have some quiet downtime I start working on cards.

I send probably 75-100 cards I think between both our families and friends and military contacts.

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #40
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

...yes I do. In fact, I wrote them all out and mailed them on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #41
Anastasi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
We have been, but over the past few years, we really cut down our list. We've been doing the photo card every year. This year, I'm seriously considering pretty much nixing the annual card (except to a few relatives.) Most everyone that we send cards to "sees" us daily on facebook. It almost seems silly to send out cards other than to the few random relatives/friends that don't use facebook.

Just curious as to what other are doing in regards to Christmas cards.
Nope.

We quit about 10 years ago as the ones coming in were also dwindling significantly. All of our friends and family were giving up the tradition.

And as such, we have dropped off the list of the last remaining of our friends who still do send out cards. So, the only cards we receive now are from the dentist and some local businesses.
Anastasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #42
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

Yes, we still send them, normally about 45-50 to family & some long-time friends.

For the past several years, we've sent a photo card. In the last few years, I've been using Tiny Prints - love them!

This year, I think I'm going to make the cards using a pic of the kids.

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 13 years) (DS, 5 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #43
TanyaS
Mouseketeer

Yes. I love receiving cards, so I do send them most years.

I order photo cards with a picture of the kids. Sometimes it is just a nice picture of them in Christmas colors, but I try to take photos that are fun or clever if I can.

My favorite card we sent was one with a picture of the kids surrounded by lots of toys and dolls in front of the tree with an "I Spy list" of items for recipients to look for (7 dinosaurs, 3 nutcrackers, that sort of thing).

I am hoping this year's will turn out well - I've ordered hats like the ones the kids wore in the scene in "A Christmas Story" where Flick gets his tongue stuck to the flagpole. I'm planning to take a photo of DS#2 with his tongue on a flagpole (wearing an aviator hat like Flick's) while the siblings look on wearing hats like Ralphie and Schwartz. The card will read sometime like "Have a Merry Christmas . . . We triple dog dare you!" (or vice versa, I can't decide).

We definitely receive fewer cards than we did ten years ago, but I'm not ready to stop the tradition entirely yet.
TanyaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #44
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

It's interesting that here we have a thread in which the majority don't send Christmas cards, while there is another thread in which the majority wax eloquent about receiving cards. So, I take it to mean we like to receive cards, we just don't want the hassle of sending them ourselves. Have I got that right? It seems rather selfish.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #45
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

Yes. I addressed my cards this morning. I send about 30 cards each year.
antmaril is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: