Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
mapleleaf4ever
Earning My Ears

I am in Canada as well. We usually decorate a few days before the first Sunday of Advent, but this year we early. Outside decorations and lights went up on November 12, and inside decorating started then and was finished about 2 weeks ago.
mapleleaf4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

My daughter is a foreign exchange student in Leeds, U.K. and the official lighting of the city Christmas tree was November 1st. She was surprised the tree didn't burn down on November 5th on Bonfire/Guy Fawkes night.
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Canadian here.......In the stores the Xmas decore is out right after Halloween.

We generally put the tree up on my bday, (Dec 1st). As other have said, the rule of thumb is to wait til after nov11 remembrance day to deck the halls.

When I was a kid, we use to put our tree up a couple weeks before xmas. Sometimes one week before. I even remember on xmas eve! But that was ages ago. over the last decade or so its been earlier and earlier. My bday is the norm thou, sometimes a week after that.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Canadian here.......In the stores the Xmas decore is out right after Halloween.

We generally put the tree up on my bday, (Dec 1st). As other have said, the rule of thumb is to wait til after nov11 remembrance day to deck the halls.

When I was a kid, we use to put our tree up a couple weeks before xmas. Sometimes one week before. I even remember on xmas eve! But that was ages ago. over the last decade or so its been earlier and earlier. My bday is the norm thou, sometimes a week after that.

Happy Bday! Just curious what sorts of things do you dp to make it your Birthday during the decorating?
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLDERS

Happy Bday! Just curious what sorts of things do you dp to make it your Birthday during the decorating?
Thanks for the wishes! Honestly, I hate decorating the tree. Love xmas, but hate decorating. The tree from last year is still decked out, its sitting in a corner in the basement. All I have to do is bring it upstairs and voila! All done. Yes i'm late with the tree this year. Oops.
Generally I will decorate first thing on my bday, then carry on with my bday festivities.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

Old 12-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
lauradis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post

Thanks for the wishes! Honestly, I hate decorating the tree. Love xmas, but hate decorating. The tree from last year is still decked out, its sitting in a corner in the basement. All I have to do is bring it upstairs and voila! All done. Yes i'm late with the tree this year. Oops.
Generally I will decorate first thing on my bday, then carry on with my bday festivities.
Happy birthday and that's too funny my grandmother got tired of the decorating too so she made my grandfather put the tree in the sunroom and cover it with a pink tarp so and I quote "don't want to look at that stupid ugly tree, but for 12 days"

Thank you every one it makes sense now 12 days of advent.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #22
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

It takes 4-5 hours to setup our tree. No way I'd do all that work for only 12 days of enjoyment.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

We are Canadian and every year we go to the Ajax/Pickering (just east of Toronto) Santa Claus Parade.

This year the parade was Sat. Nov. 9. We always start decorating when we return from the parade (because we have to dig out our Santa hats and reindeer ears for the parade anyways).

When I was a child, my mom used to decorate around the 1st of December. Now we start decorating pretty much right after Halloween. The parades seem to begin earlier and earlier each year too. This is the first year I remember it happening before Remembrance Day.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #24
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Sad but true...we have such CRAZY weather here in Calgary that we basically put up our outside stuff whenever we can. Never want to do it too early so some years we miss the "window of opportunity" in late November and don't get them up until just before Christmas. (This year DH put them up yesterday due to the forecasted storm we're experiencing right now...30 cm snow and temps of -28C with the windchill).

Our tree and indoor decor almost always goes up two Saturdays before Christmas and we'll take it down the weekend after New Years. No real reason - just the habits we've gotten into. Merry Christmas!!

P.S. Calgary is a place where you'll see LOTS of houses that leave the lights strung up all year long.
DL & DCA 2013
ronandannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #25
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Usually do our one month before Christmas but this year we got a new tree for the family room so instead of putting it away we put it up week ago.

The outside lights go up early Nov. when the weather is still warm. Or you think that it is the last warm day you'll get. Everyone on our street picked the same day it was funny to see and that was about 2 weeks ago.

Then it usually all comes down New Year's Day.
NAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #26
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

In Italy the traditional day to decorate is December 8 (Immaculate Conception), and everything comes down at Epiphany.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #27
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Another Canadian here. I would say it depends when you put up your decorations. Talking to our neighbours, they just select a reasonably warm day before the first heavy snowfall in mid to late Nov. to put up their outside decorations, although they may not have the lights on until later in Nov. or early Dec. Makes sense to me, no one wants to tramp through snowdrifts in sub-zero weather to put out their decorations! Then there are those (and there are likely some of those folks in every neighbourhood) who leave their decorations up all year, although they do not turn on the lights for the entire year.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #28
Disneymadhouse
DIS Veteran

I live in England. Christmas decorations usually start appearing in the shops in November, and then the big Christmas displays are usually up by the end of November.
We always put our tree and decorations up on December 1st.

Claire

1994 WDW Lindfields villa 1999 WDW Polynesian Disney Magic 2002 WDW All Star sports 2005 Disneyland Radisson Maingate 2007 WDW Best Western Lakeside 2012 WDW OKW 2014 Disney Magic 2015 ???
Disneymadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #29
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradis View Post
Happy birthday and that's too funny my grandmother got tired of the decorating too so she made my grandfather put the tree in the sunroom and cover it with a pink tarp so and I quote "don't want to look at that stupid ugly tree, but for 12 days"

Thank you every one it makes sense now 12 days of advent.
Thank you! .....btw, your grandma is a smart woman. Too funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
We are Canadian and every year we go to the Ajax/Pickering (just east of Toronto) Santa Claus Parade.

This year the parade was Sat. Nov. 9. We always start decorating when we return from the parade (because we have to dig out our Santa hats and reindeer ears for the parade anyways).

When I was a child, my mom used to decorate around the 1st of December. Now we start decorating pretty much right after Halloween. The parades seem to begin earlier and earlier each year too. This is the first year I remember it happening before Remembrance Day.
Actually now that you mention it, I know a lot of ppl decorate the tree right after the toronto santa clause parade. Which is typically after remembrance day anyway.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #30
Kogo Shuko
DIS Veteran

I find it's all odd this year. The dollar store had all their merchandise out on November 1st, but I had a tought time finding decent ornaments at the Wal-Mart for the first two weeks of November (I had to mail ornaments for an exchange on here). None of the Wal-Marts seemed to put their merch out on Nov 1st and I was surprised.

As for decorations, I put mine up on Nov 25, because then I can enjoy my tree and its decorations for an entire month. My mother doesn't put her tree up until two weeks before Christmas, but everything else is all put up now.

I don't mind if the stores are SELLING Christmas stuff at the beginning of November. I have issues if they're playing Christmas music and decorating. Selling the stuff early is good for people who enjoy buying their Christmas related items a little bit at a time.

~*~ 1992-1993 – Offsite ~*~ 1995-1996 – Offsite ~*~ 2009 – Scotland ~*~ 2010 – Newfoundland ~*~ 2010-2011 – Offsite ~*~ October 2011 - Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Feb 2012 – Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Oct 2012 – Carnival Cruise/Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Sept 2013 - Sanibel/Vistana/Leesburg ~*~

~*~My Blog / Florida Trip Report~*~
http://kogoshuko.wordpress.com/
Kogo Shuko is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: