Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I have a question for the Canadians, Brits, Scots, etc.

I've been thinking about Christmas decorations. Here in the USA, there is much debate about whether or not the Christmas tree, lights, etc. should go up before Thanksgiving (most usually agree that they don't go up until after Thanksgiving). So I was wondering when they go up where you live. I noticed on Love Actually that there were decorations up 6 weeks before Christmas, but that's a movie so who knows how accurate it is. I know that Canada has Thanksgiving before Halloween, so I figure that doesn't really play into when yall decorate. So, what say you? When is it considered socially acceptable to decorate for Christmas? When do you decorate?

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
l_mccafferty
DIS Veteran

At home we normally do it 12 days before Christmas, however, I know a lot of people put them up on 1st December.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

In Germany, most Christmas Markets and decor go up on the first weekend of Advent. That is four Sundays before Christmas--which was this past weekend

And, yes, I love them and have already been to two of them

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
pascalstongue
DIS Veteran

In the UK most people won't put their decorations up until December. We usually put ours up two weeks before Christmas.

pascalstongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
JennaDeeDooDah

Wow. So the decorations go up later than here in the US. That's interesting because so many people who say that the decorations have gone up too early when they are up before Thanksgiving still likely put their decorations up before the rest of the world.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

Old 12-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
TangledInLove
Earning My Ears

I live in Canada and I say anytime after Halloween is fair game. I know people that say not until after rememberance day (Nov 11) we put ours up on Nov 16, but had the weather been nicer I probably would have done it the week before. I've noticed a lot more have gone up the past couple of days though.
TangledInLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
cari12
DIS Veteran

I'm in Canada and the stores are "Christmas" on Nov. 1st. In the past most people waited until Dec. 1st to decorate but that has been getting earlier and earlier every year. I now see lit trees in windows early November. Many people do believe however you should wait at least until after Remembrance Day (Nov 11) out of respect to our veterans.
I start decorating Dec .1 although we have had out outside lights up for over a week now. We do not get our tree until around Dec 10-15 as we get a fresh one and do not want it to dry out too early.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
In Germany, most Christmas Markets and decor go up on the first weekend of Advent. That is four Sundays before Christmas--which was this past weekend

And, yes, I love them and have already been to two of them

This! We are Canadian Anglicans and follow Advent observance.

However, our son now an adult with his own son (7) may put decorations up earlier! His Dw (Roman Catholic) whom has been in our family for almost 10 yrs originally from Germany tries to contain his early decorating excitement!

NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

In Canada anytime after Remembrance Day. Remembrance Day is considered a solemn day here compared to Veterans Day in the USA. So usually anything Christmas related is left until after November 11th.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
JennaDeeDooDah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
In Canada anytime after Remembrance Day. Remembrance Day is considered a solemn day here compared to Veterans Day in the USA. So usually anything Christmas related is left until after November 11th.
I believe Remembrance Day is more similar to Memorial Day here in the states, rather than Veterans Day. That's when you honor those who lost their lives, correct? Or is it when you honor all members who have served or are currently serving?

Anyway, it's interesting to me to see when everyone likes to put up decorations. I didn't figure that Love Actually was true to life, but it did get me wondering when various countries decided to put up decorations.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
sandynd
Rookie Desperado

Our tradition here is after December 1. I HATE seeing anything Christmas right after Halloween. Remembrance Day should be observed before anything, and then give it a bit of breathing room before the marketing hype ramps up again.
December 1990 - One day in MGM Studios
sandynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
beakerz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I believe Remembrance Day is more similar to Memorial Day here in the states, rather than Veterans Day. That's when you honor those who lost their lives, correct? Or is it when you honor all members who have served or are currently serving? Anyway, it's interesting to me to see when everyone likes to put up decorations. I didn't figure that Love Actually was true to life, but it did get me wondering when various countries decided to put up decorations.
It's like the two days combined - a time to remember those who have lost their life, or served, on behalf of our country.

To the OP - The decorations At our house go up the first weekend in December
beakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
lolainkent
Mouseketeer

Grocery stores here in the UK had Christmas aisles up and running before Halloween. We bought our tree this past weekend and took our kids to see Santa on Friday. I'd say late-Nov is pretty standard for decorations // getting into the 'spirit' (so to speak!).

I like to travel, so I started a blog!
The Wanderlust Trap
lolainkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

The traditional Irish schedule is to put the tree up and decorate the house for the 12 days of Christmas; that is, you put it up on Christmas Eve, and take it down on Epiphany, Jan 6th. Xmas Eve is also when you put your candles in the window (which in the west of Ireland, especially, is the most important decoration.)

Of course, in recent years it has become popular in Ireland as well to put them up earlier, often mid-December. My family are more old-fashioned; we like to have a party Christmas Eve to decorate the tree. (Those of us now living in the States tend to stick to that schedule as well; it drives my husband crazy. His family tradition is from Eastern Europe, where the big celebration is on Xmas Eve, and then they consider the holiday over. I refuse to have anything to do with that: AFAIC, the holiday officially begins on Xmas Eve, and it ain't over until the Wise Men sing!)

Last edited by NotUrsula; 12-02-2013 at 03:21 PM.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I'm also in Canada and most people will tell you it's disrespectful to put them up before Remembrance Day. I usually put them up the first weekend in December because I get sick of looking at them if they're up too long. This year we put them up a week or so early because we bought a new tree and the kids wanted to get into it. Stores often have Christmas stuff up right after Halloween. I heard people on the radio getting upset because Shoppers Drug Mart was playing Christmas music before Remembrance day.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: