Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #46
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing on a star View Post
KiKi, If I had posted that comment. (and I have posted similar comments) It is not usually meant to be chastising at all !

More like the food for thought, different perspective, heads up, type of thing. If you are taking it any other way, then that would have to be coming from your side/perspective.

You know, so often people come and vent. And, I do understand venting! But, do they seriously want just a pat on the back... and "so sorry... you are so giving and wonderful.", and "I hope it works out better in the future with this other person who is disrespectful."

It seems some people just have a hard time hearing things that they just really don't want to hear?
I was venting. I was wondering out loud if maybe I was thinking this "friend" was rude or if maybe I was making more out of it than it was. Whatever the case, I learned my lesson and will not be shopping for her ever again.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #47
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Okay, I think I understand better now...
You weren't like saying that she had been disrespectful, rude, or worse...
You weren't sure if it was THAT rude or not.
Or if maybe you were just being too sensitive or over-reacting.

In that case... If she has done things like this before, yes, it is presumptuous and rude. I would just add, however, that if you have obliged her before, this is her status-quo. And, it is up to you to change that, to maintain a new status-quo (boundaries). Is that nicer way to say what some posters have said????

Some people are just naturally givers/pleasers/etc.
That is wonderful!!! Except for the fact that 'takers' will always, always, seek them out.

Last edited by Wishing on a star; 12-03-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #48
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing on a star View Post
Some people are just naturally givers/pleasers/etc.
That is wonderful!!! Except for the fact that 'takers' will always, always, seek them out.
snipped.

This is so true. I'm not a taker and I don't have a big need to please people (and that gets better with age...LOL). What I expect from people is respect and reasonable expectations. The other person I picked stuff up for...I offered because I was going to the parcel service myself. I was paid up front for the parcel fees with a "if you get them, great, if not, no problem". Simple conversation that didn't require full page email instructions and multiple text messages.
If I wasn't waiting for the gift cards I bought for her kid's school fundraiser I would have told her I had her stuff with the total and that's that. You want it, you come and get it and pay for it.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #49
FayeW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPCITY View Post
Off topic, and probably a really stupid question, but why do you come to the US to shop? I've never been anywhere near Canada, but I guess I always pictured the stores as having pretty much the same stuff we do here. What's the difference?

I really, really don't mean this as snarky, I'm just curious!
I live an hour from the border, and I go over every 6-8 weeks. It's a smaller town but it has a Super Walmart with a great grocery selection, Sears, JC Penney, TJ Maxx, etc. I usually just go for groceries because the poultry and dairy is so ridiculously cheap. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are regular price $1.99 lb, and that's half the cost of what we pay up here ON SALE! Cheese is also really cheap. I buy things that are either a really good bargain, or not available here. I LOVE Arnold's Sandwich Thins buns. We have similar here, but with more calories and less fiber/protein. I stock up when I go there because that's really all the kids and I use for sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers, etc.

I went shopping the weekend before your Thanksgiving. Got my Christmas turkey for .59 lb, stocked up on buns, and spent $205 on clothes and jewelry for myself because they were terrific sale prices. I needed "winter" dress pants for work and some holiday tops for parties I have to attend and the prices were amazing. I paid $28 in tax when I came across the border (on the personal items, not charge for groceries). First time I've had to pay in a really long time. We've figured out that if you keep the personal stuff to less than $100 per person, with no alcohol or cigarettes, they usually don't make you pay. I'm fine with it either way, I get really good bargains.
FayeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #50
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
The label being french/english is irrelevant. It's the fact that you don't speak one of the languages.
I guaranty that if you only spoke french, you'd turn to the english side first.

And I can prove it!

I'm bilingual french/english. Whenever I read the laundry label on a clothing item (dry clean only or hang to dry or wash inside out... etc) I always turn to the Chinese side. Every. Single. Time!

Thanks! Now I'm wearing my coffee & may have to go READ labels!

Just kidding I'll grab my vinegar no reading required!
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #51
doxdogy
Owned by doxies!
I remember the day I turned into my parents

Kiki I understand that you were just venting. My husband and I were the same. Happy to help people out. Until we needed help and no help to be found from the ones we helped. We learned our lesson the hard way. Next time just don't tell her and if she finds out, tell her no can do.
doxdogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #52
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately, there are some people who mistake kindness for weakness. Your "friend" took full advantage because she knew she could.

I used to give rides in high school and soon stopped it because my friend would want her sister who was obnoxious to ride because their mom would get mad, um she doesn't put gas in the car. So I cut that out and took myself to school.

At work, there is always a few people who would jump on the "oh, you are leaving for lunch can you get me this while you are out? " Um nope. I am not using my lunch time to taxi around to pick up your meals.

There was a co worker who would promise to pay people for gas to take her from and to work then forget she promised to pay. One day, she knew her last ride was about to dump her and she said to me hey what is your number so I can call you and we can ride in together. Now she was on the way, but I didn't want any of that. I just said, I don't do that and she talked trash about me, ok, so you are a mooch and I wouldn't let you do it to me. lol

Last edited by hereyago; 12-03-2013 at 07:08 PM.
hereyago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #53
Shagley
If you don't move when I say "beep beep", I will run you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradis View Post
Walmart has worst stuff in Canada??? That's shocking. Really I'm not joking or jest.

Not an American Walmart hater but most of the stuff if cheap plastic junk that doesn't last long.
I'm not really a Walmart lover, but I am trying to figure out what kind of stuff you are thinking of from Walmart that you consider cheap plastic junk?? I usually buy groceries, toiletries, cleaning supplies, DVD's, video games, toys, etc. from Walmart. When I think of cheap plastic junk, I think of Dollar Tree. About 95% of the stuff I buy from Walmart is the exact same stuff that is sold everywhere else, only it is cheaper at Walmart.

Shagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #54
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi Mouse View Post
ND has the sales tax rebate. You can also save up a couple of years worth of receipts.
Correct. I wrote it backwards. ND has the rebate MN does not.

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #55
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Any updates OP? I am surprised she didn't want you come to her house and put the things away, people are nuts.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #56
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

No updates.

The roads aren't great so we aren't going out tonight. I texted her a few hours ago and asked if she could come pick up her stuff tomorrow or Friday and I haven't heard a thing.

I just sent an email saying I hadn't heard from her and didn't know if she got my text. I asked her to let me know what day she would be coming and what time. I told her I needed to get paid for the states stuff so I could put the money on my credit card and I wanted the gift cards to go grocery shopping this weekend. It's funny, when somebody owes you money there is a communication shut down but when they want something they sure know how to get a hold of you!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #57
lauradis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagley View Post

I'm not really a Walmart lover, but I am trying to figure out what kind of stuff you are thinking of from Walmart that you consider cheap plastic junk?? I usually buy groceries, toiletries, cleaning supplies, DVD's, video games, toys, etc. from Walmart. When I think of cheap plastic junk, I think of Dollar Tree. About 95% of the stuff I buy from Walmart is the exact same stuff that is sold everywhere else, only it is cheaper at Walmart.
Plastic cups with straws, plastic plates and bowls, the box fan the broke after 2 months, lol your right on the cheaper at walmart.

Maybe it's just me, I have no luck with most of the stuff I buy from Walmart or Kmart unless its groceries stuff.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #58
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It's funny, when somebody owes you money there is a communication shut down but when they want something they sure know how to get a hold of you!
Very true! Have a big warm cozy night.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #59
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:
No updates.

The roads aren't great so we aren't going out tonight. I texted her a few hours ago and asked if she could come pick up her stuff tomorrow or Friday and I haven't heard a thing.

I just sent an email saying I hadn't heard from her and didn't know if she got my text. I asked her to let me know what day she would be coming and what time. I told her I needed to get paid for the states stuff so I could put the money on my credit card and I wanted the gift cards to go grocery shopping this weekend. It's funny, when somebody owes you money there is a communication shut down but when they want something they sure know how to get a hold of you!
I would let her know if she does not come and pay that you will do what your DH said and sell it. I bet she comes right away.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #60
ColoradoMom!!
DIS Veteran

Two Things:

I totally sympathize with OP posting here because sometimes you are just flat shocked at people. It's a great place to vent.

Second - I have been thinking a lot about Canada today since our high here was about 5 F. How do you all do that all the time? I can drive in snow - but the temp is insane.

I have always had a curious/love thing for Canada. I can't figure out why we hear so much more about, say England here in the US than that HUGE expanse of land bordering us to the north. I wonder a lot what it is like to live there compared to the US. Why are goods more expensive for example. What is college like - price wise - what is the attitude toward higher ed - as it seems here that everyone should go or you won't get a decent job type attitude. How are people's values different if at all. Example - workaholics? Hollywood obsessed? I know we are more alike than different - but what would you say are some of the differences in the way we view things?

We honeymooned in Vancouver BC and loved it. I visited Alberta as a teenager, and we drove across from MI to Niagara Falls with the kids in 2008 - loved it. I just feel like we don't know that much about our neighbors to the North!

Disneyland October 21-24, 2008

Boston Vacation and Red Sox Game July 2009
Back to Cooperstown and New York City June 2010
Disneyland December 2011 and Jan 2013
ColoradoMom!! is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: