Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #31
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradis View Post
Walmart has worst stuff in Canada??? That's shocking. Really I'm not joking or jest. Not an American Walmart hater but most of the stuff if cheap plastic junk that doesn't last long.
I think in Canada we just don't have as many people so it doesn't make sense for our stores to sell as many different things as they sell in the US. We go over sometimes and it can be overwhelming just the sheer variety of types of cereal for example. Americans also sell types of junk food you can't find in Canada too. My kids were really excited to bring home things like Candy Corn flavoured M & Ms around Halloween. We probably don't get it here because a store would probably have to buy it by the case and they don't know if they will sell it all. Then there's the rule that everything has to have the label in both French and English and some products the manufacturer couldn't be bothered. Like Almond Joy. I'm pretty sure the English/French label thing is why they don't sell it here.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #32
lauradis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post

I think in Canada we just don't have as many people so it doesn't make sense for our stores to sell as many different things as they sell in the US. We go over sometimes and it can be overwhelming just the sheer variety of types of cereal for example. Americans also sell types of junk food you can't find in Canada too. My kids were really excited to bring home things like Candy Corn flavoured M & Ms around Halloween. We probably don't get it here because a store would probably have to buy it by the case and they don't know if they will sell it all. Then there's the rule that everything has to have the label in both French and English and some products the manufacturer couldn't be bothered. Like Almond Joy. I'm pretty sure the English/French label thing is why they don't sell it here.
Had no idea the few times we go to Canada it on the Niagara area only small independent shops, never noticed the lack of large selections of candy or goods.

So it's more of consumable goods then plastic junk? Most of main grocery stores have an isle just for cereal. We American take for granite the plenty and variety of food selections here.

Cleaning and toilet paper products are the isles that confuse me. To many choices.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #33
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu
I'm pretty sure the English/French label thing is why they don't sell it here.
That french label is so annoying cause whenever I want to read the label, I always turn to the french side first. Every. Single. Time. I wish they'd put English on the right side instead of the left. Lol.

Btw I think you're right about US products not being available in Canada cause of the french issue. Never thought of that before.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #34
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
That french label is so annoying cause whenever I want to read the label, I always turn to the french side first. Every. Single. Time. I wish they'd put English on the right side instead of the left. Lol.
The label being french/english is irrelevant. It's the fact that you don't speak one of the languages.
I guaranty that if you only spoke french, you'd turn to the english side first.

And I can prove it!

I'm bilingual french/english. Whenever I read the laundry label on a clothing item (dry clean only or hang to dry or wash inside out... etc) I always turn to the Chinese side. Every. Single. Time!

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #35
cjbcam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post

And that's per person. So a family of four can bring back $3200 and not pay any taxes. Plus if you buy enough to make it worthwhile you can get the tax back from MN (but not ND).
You can get your tax back from ND. I have the site written down somewhere but can't find it at the moment.
I've noticed the biggest difference in price is for things like cheese it's half the price in the US. Also flavors of cream cheese ( my kids love cream cheese) there are so many different ones down there. We also bought all our composite decking in the US we would have spent over 10 thousand for it in Canada but it only cost just under six in the US.
cjbcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #36
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
People cannot take advantage of us without our permission.
I'm curious. When people post stuff like this, is it intended to be helpful? It doesn't read that way to me, but I have no idea if I'm reading it as intended.
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 19/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing 12. Secrets of the Tudor Court 13. Al Capp 14. The Witch Doctor's Wife 15. The Headhunter's Daughter 16. The Yard 17. The Dinner 18. The Magicians 19. The All-Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion 20. The Golem and the Jinni

Currently reading: The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #37
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBear View Post

I'm curious. When people post stuff like this, is it intended to be helpful? It doesn't read that way to me, but I have no idea if I'm reading it as intended.
Yes. It's intended to be food for thought for the OP. In the original post she writes that "this always turns into a PITA". I read that to mean that she's had similar experiences in the past with the person taking advantage of her.

In general, if someone takes advantage of me once, shame on them. I am not going to put myself into the position of being taken advantage of again, because I will have learned my lesson after the first bad experience. If one continues to do the same thing again and again when one knows that the result is going to be multiple phone calls, difficulty getting paid etc. then one is really allowing oneself to be taken advantage of repeatedly. Hence giving permission to the other person to continually repeat their bad behavior.

I hope that clears up your confusion regarding my post.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #38
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbcam View Post
You can get your tax back from ND. I have the site written down somewhere but can't find it at the moment.
I've noticed the biggest difference in price is for things like cheese it's half the price in the US. Also flavors of cream cheese ( my kids love cream cheese) there are so many different ones down there. We also bought all our composite decking in the US we would have spent over 10 thousand for it in Canada but it only cost just under six in the US.
Whoops, you're right. I wrote it backwards.
You can get your tax back from ND but not from MN.

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #39
lauradis
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Most of the time I always take them as the tough love mom thing to say.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #40
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
And that's per person. So a family of four can bring back $3200 and not pay any taxes. Plus if you buy enough to make it worthwhile you can get the tax back from MN (but not ND).
ND has the sales tax rebate. You can also save up a couple of years worth of receipts.
https://secure.apps.nd.gov/tax/sales/canadianrefund/

For some reason cheese is a lot cheaper in the states. On the weekend I bought cream cheese at Target for $1.49 and it is twice the price here. When we go down we take coolers.

As for building products we bought some breakers for our electrician friend. Half the price at Menards/Lowes compared to here and they are CSA approved. $45 vs $90.

Where we live people buy big trailers etc. and have them shipped close to the border. They save thousands.

Last edited by KiKi Mouse; 12-03-2013 at 08:46 AM.
KiKi Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #41
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi Mouse View Post
This is a vent about a friend of mine, not a close friend but somebody I have become friends with in the past couple of years.

This past weekend My family and I went across the border for a few days to shop over the black Friday weekend.

This friend of mine sent me a list of items she wanted me to pick up including some groceries. I was a bit irritated that she would have the nerve to send me a long email with a list. But whatever.

I really should have known better. In the past these types of requests have always turned into a PITA.

She sent me a text message over the weekend asking if we could pick up duty free cigarettes for her Dad. Ummmmm no. I've never even met her Dad and I wouldn't do that for anybody anyway. Ever. That was my response.

So last night I figured out what she owed me for the Xbox game, toys, and a few grocery items. I texted her and didn't hear back until I texted this morning. I pre paid for some gift cards for a fundraiser for her kid's school and the cards should be in now.

I asked if she could meet me on Wednesday so I could get my gift cards and I could get her the items I bought and get paid.

All I got was a question about if I bought her any cheese and Wednesday should work for me dropping her stuff off. Ummm....no on the cheese. I am not her personal shopper. and I don't want to drive there to drop her stuff off. I will be in the area so she can pick it up. And in keeping with the other times I have done favours for her it is turning into a stinky situation.

On the other hand I picked up some packages for a coworker. I texted him on the way home to let him know I got his stuff. We'll meet at work later and he can get his items. He prepaid me the package service fees and if I could get them, great, if not he would get them another time. Easy peasy. Why can't all people be like that?
OP, did you offer to get stuff for this friend, or upon hearing you were going to be shopping in the US did she just send you a list?
If its the latter I think that is so incredible rude. Next time tell her you never got her email
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #42
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't find it helpful at all. I learned my own lesson without somebody having to chastise me.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #43
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi Mouse View Post
I don't find it helpful at all. I learned my own lesson without somebody having to chastise me.
Just curious, why did you post about it? If you learned your own lesson what exactly was the intended purpose of posting, just to share your feelings? Do you not expect people to respond with their own feelings about the situation you chose to share publicly on a discussion forum?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #44
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

KiKi, If I had posted that comment. (and I have posted similar comments) It is not usually meant to be chastising at all !

More like the food for thought, different perspective, heads up, type of thing. If you are taking it any other way, then that would have to be coming from your side/perspective.

You know, so often people come and vent. And, I do understand venting! But, do they seriously want just a pat on the back... and "so sorry... you are so giving and wonderful.", and "I hope it works out better in the future with this other person who is disrespectful."

It seems some people just have a hard time hearing things that they just really don't want to hear?
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #45
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
OP, did you offer to get stuff for this friend, or upon hearing you were going to be shopping in the US did she just send you a list?
If its the latter I think that is so incredible rude. Next time tell her you never got her email
She knew we were going down for Black Friday and she asked if I could get her a few things (she did not specify what things) so I told her she had to send me a text or an email. When I got the email it was a full page of Walmart Black Friday items and some grocery items. Complete with specific descriptions and instructions including having them on a separate receipt in case she changed her mind and returned items here or so she could apply for the tax rebate. Including telling me I could use the hotel computer to email her. (about what I don't know)

I expected a two line email saying can you get xxxxxx. When my husband saw it he couldn't believe it.

Thursday night (while I was out Black Friday shopping) I started getting messages from her asking if I got her stuff.

Saturday I got a message asking me to get her Dad duty free cigarettes because her Dad helps her out so much she wanted to help him out. (not sure how I factor into that equation).

I always say these types of situations always come down to perceptions. She has no idea she is rude and selfish and that she has unrealistic expectations of others. I have distanced myself the past few months because I get irritated with the whining phone calls about how her parents or inlaws won't babysit as much as her and her husband want.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: