Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi Mouse View Post
Anybody want to buy Xbox Call of Duty Ghosts? LOL
Seriously, if you get stuck with it, I might take you up on that offer!

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

We'll see what Wednesday brings.

I paid $42.06 US taxes in.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

I would do exactly what your DH said. If she does not let you drop it off I would sell it. And I would also say I am no longer doing shopping for people. And let the issue go. Not worth stewing over it is done. So do what you need to do and go have a wonderful day for yourself.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
POPCITY
Mouseketeer

Off topic, and probably a really stupid question, but why do you come to the US to shop? I've never been anywhere near Canada, but I guess I always pictured the stores as having pretty much the same stuff we do here. What's the difference?

I really, really don't mean this as snarky, I'm just curious!
POPCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

Because a lot of items are cheaper and the selection is better.

There are some different stores in the U.S but even the Walmart across the border is different than the ones here.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #21
POPCITY
Mouseketeer

Quote:

There are some different stores in the U.S but even the Walmart across the border is different than the ones here.
Interesting, I had no idea, like I said, I thought they were all basically the same. You learn something new every day, thank you!
POPCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #22
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

See, I'm evil.

I would tell her the next time I was shopping, get her huge list, and then return home empty-handed.

"OH, we looked all over but they didn't have what you wanted."

Lather, rinse, repeat until she gets the message that way.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #23
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:

Does it still even itself out after paying the other tax?
Old 12-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #24
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolainkent View Post
I'm no longer in Canada so I don't go CAN-US anymore...but do you still have to declare everything and stay within personal limits? If so, in the future you can still tell people you're going but say that you're planning to spend what your limit is. If anyone says "oh they don't check" then say you were checked once and taxed on a few things.
I have to tell my brother this when we go away ie. that we're buying dance shoes and stuff and we're near our limit. He knows they'll check and he knows I can't lie, so it works.

He would take the shirt right off your back if you let him. He's one of those.... and he never does a favour for anyone unless there's some way for him to profit from it (which isn't really doing a favour at all)

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #25
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPCITY View Post
Off topic, and probably a really stupid question, but why do you come to the US to shop? I've never been anywhere near Canada, but I guess I always pictured the stores as having pretty much the same stuff we do here. What's the difference?

I really, really don't mean this as snarky, I'm just curious!
It's not just the selection, but the shipping issues. Some things just aren't available without paying huge brokerage fees to UPS etc. So anything you would normally buy online, like dance shoes, is usually harder to get if you live in Canada.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #26
lauradis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
See, I'm evil.

I would tell her the next time I was shopping, get her huge list, and then return home empty-handed.

"OH, we looked all over but they didn't have what you wanted."

Lather, rinse, repeat until she gets the message that way.
Bad you but love the style. evil to the core.

op please do yourself a favor and stop calling people my friend or friendly when they really aren't, never have been a true friend.
your just to nice and users can sense nice people from a mile away.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #27
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrosesix View Post
It's not just the selection, but the shipping issues. Some things just aren't available without paying huge brokerage fees to UPS etc. So anything you would normally buy online, like dance shoes, is usually harder to get if you live in Canada.
Exactly.

We will buy online and ship to a parcel service.

Us Canadians are allowed $800 in goods after being away 48 hours. We make a family outing/Black Friday extravaganza out of the weekend and have a lot of laughs. Especially when our family members decorated our adjoining room while we were out complete with a Black Friday Christmas tree with lights and black decorations. It was very funny.

As for "friend". I agree. I know my boundaries and don't expect people to go out of their way on their trips to get stuff for me and I would never send a long detailed list or ask them to get duty free booze or cigarettes.

I think I just finally realized this person is selfish and they don't see themselves that way or that their expectations of others are crossing the line. I've been seeing it for a while and now I am done.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #28
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Loves me some American Walmart and I have a standing "list" that I send down with anyone who offers. I am so appreciative of this that not only do I send cash with them so they are never out of pocket, I always make sure to offer to return the favour when ever we go.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #29
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Exactly. We will buy online and ship to a parcel service. Us Canadians are allowed $800 in goods after being away 48 hours.
And that's per person. So a family of four can bring back $3200 and not pay any taxes. Plus if you buy enough to make it worthwhile you can get the tax back from MN (but not ND).

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #30
lauradis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandannette View Post

Loves me some American Walmart and I have a standing "list" that I send down with anyone who offers. I am so appreciative of this that not only do I send cash with them so they are never out of pocket, I always make sure to offer to return the favour when ever we go.
Walmart has worst stuff in Canada??? That's shocking. Really I'm not joking or jest.

Not an American Walmart hater but most of the stuff if cheap plastic junk that doesn't last long.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: