Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
KiKi Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,666

Some people...give them an inch...

This is a vent about a friend of mine, not a close friend but somebody I have become friends with in the past couple of years.

This past weekend My family and I went across the border for a few days to shop over the black Friday weekend.

This friend of mine sent me a list of items she wanted me to pick up including some groceries. I was a bit irritated that she would have the nerve to send me a long email with a list. But whatever.

I really should have known better. In the past these types of requests have always turned into a PITA.

She sent me a text message over the weekend asking if we could pick up duty free cigarettes for her Dad. Ummmmm no. I've never even met her Dad and I wouldn't do that for anybody anyway. Ever. That was my response.

So last night I figured out what she owed me for the Xbox game, toys, and a few grocery items. I texted her and didn't hear back until I texted this morning. I pre paid for some gift cards for a fundraiser for her kid's school and the cards should be in now.

I asked if she could meet me on Wednesday so I could get my gift cards and I could get her the items I bought and get paid.

All I got was a question about if I bought her any cheese and Wednesday should work for me dropping her stuff off. Ummm....no on the cheese. I am not her personal shopper. and I don't want to drive there to drop her stuff off. I will be in the area so she can pick it up. And in keeping with the other times I have done favours for her it is turning into a stinky situation.

On the other hand I picked up some packages for a coworker. I texted him on the way home to let him know I got his stuff. We'll meet at work later and he can get his items. He prepaid me the package service fees and if I could get them, great, if not he would get them another time. Easy peasy. Why can't all people be like that?
__________________
Enjoying the mouse since 2007. Now as new DVC members at BLT
KiKi Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side
 
BadgerGirl84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,867

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi Mouse View Post
This is a vent about a friend of mine, not a close friend but somebody I have become friends with in the past couple of years.

This past weekend My family and I went across the border for a few days to shop over the black Friday weekend.

This friend of mine sent me a list of items she wanted me to pick up including some groceries. I was a bit irritated that she would have the nerve to send me a long email with a list. But whatever.

I really should have known better. In the past these types of requests have always turned into a PITA.

She sent me a text message over the weekend asking if we could pick up duty free cigarettes for her Dad. Ummmmm no. I've never even met her Dad and I wouldn't do that for anybody anyway. Ever. That was my response.

So last night I figured out what she owed me for the Xbox game, toys, and a few grocery items. I texted her and didn't hear back until I texted this morning. I pre paid for some gift cards for a fundraiser for her kid's school and the cards should be in now.

I asked if she could meet me on Wednesday so I could get my gift cards and I could get her the items I bought and get paid.

All I got was a question about if I bought her any cheese and Wednesday should work for me dropping her stuff off. Ummm....no on the cheese. I am not her personal shopper. and I don't want to drive there to drop her stuff off. I will be in the area so she can pick it up. And in keeping with the other times I have done favours for her it is turning into a stinky situation.

On the other hand I picked up some packages for a coworker. I texted him on the way home to let him know I got his stuff. We'll meet at work later and he can get his items. He prepaid me the package service fees and if I could get them, great, if not he would get them another time. Easy peasy. Why can't all people be like that?
UGH--how frustrating. As my husband likes to say, "no good deed goes unpunished." I think that is very rude of her...she should be very thankful to you and pick up the items at YOUR home at a time that is convenient for YOU and also give you a tip for doing her a favor.

Hope you can keep your next shopping run a secret from her..and if not, just politely tell her NO.
__________________
Me: (29) DH: (31) DD born July 2013 Minnie and Eve the Frenchtons: (2)

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 44,775

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi Mouse View Post
This is a vent about a friend of mine, not a close friend but somebody I have become friends with in the past couple of years.

This past weekend My family and I went across the border for a few days to shop over the black Friday weekend.

This friend of mine sent me a list of items she wanted me to pick up including some groceries. I was a bit irritated that she would have the nerve to send me a long email with a list. But whatever.

I really should have known better. In the past these types of requests have always turned into a PITA.

She sent me a text message over the weekend asking if we could pick up duty free cigarettes for her Dad. Ummmmm no. I've never even met her Dad and I wouldn't do that for anybody anyway. Ever. That was my response.

So last night I figured out what she owed me for the Xbox game, toys, and a few grocery items. I texted her and didn't hear back until I texted this morning. I pre paid for some gift cards for a fundraiser for her kid's school and the cards should be in now.

I asked if she could meet me on Wednesday so I could get my gift cards and I could get her the items I bought and get paid.

All I got was a question about if I bought her any cheese and Wednesday should work for me dropping her stuff off. Ummm....no on the cheese. I am not her personal shopper. and I don't want to drive there to drop her stuff off. I will be in the area so she can pick it up. And in keeping with the other times I have done favours for her it is turning into a stinky situation.

On the other hand I picked up some packages for a coworker. I texted him on the way home to let him know I got his stuff. We'll meet at work later and he can get his items. He prepaid me the package service fees and if I could get them, great, if not he would get them another time. Easy peasy. Why can't all people be like that?
Well you know the answer to that, because you let them.

In the future hopefully you stop buying from her and stop shopping for her. When you "go across the border" NEVER tell her again.

If she asks you to "buy stuff" for her again, tell her you can't because you are low on funds. However if she has the cash, you would be happy to pick it up for her. Then tell her she can swing by and give you the cash.

Yea...I am sure that will go over like a lead balloon.
__________________
Begin what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
KiKi Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,666

I've already told my husband I will never ever pick anything up for her again.
__________________
Enjoying the mouse since 2007. Now as new DVC members at BLT
KiKi Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't
 
goofyintoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 8,938

THIS! This is exactly what i'd do. First, i wouldnt tell her about my trips in the future, no way. But if she finds out, tell her the only way you'll buy stuff for her is if she gives you the $ up front. She's so rude to put this all on you then expect you to go out of your way to give the items to her!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Well you know the answer to that, because you let them.

In the future hopefully you stop buying from her and stop shopping for her. When you "go across the border" NEVER tell her again.

If she asks you to "buy stuff" for her again, tell her you can't because you are low on funds. However if she has the cash, you would be happy to pick it up for her. Then tell her she can swing by and give you the cash.

Yea...I am sure that will go over like a lead balloon.
__________________





........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........







AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Gigi22
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,484

If you want to be rid of her altogether (do you?), give her a firm deadline to pay you and pick up her stuff. Then tell her if she is unable to do so, you will donate the groceries to a local food bank, and put the remaining stuff up for sale. Done, and done.
__________________
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx
Gigi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
KiKi Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi22 View Post
If you want to be rid of her altogether (do you?), give her a firm deadline to pay you and pick up her stuff. Then tell her if she is unable to do so, you will donate the groceries to a local food bank, and put the remaining stuff up for sale. Done, and done.
I'm sitting on the fence. I want to get my gift cards I prepurchased ($150). At the same time I shouldn't have to chase somebody to get paid for items they asked me to get for them.

My husband wants me to give her a deadline and after that the items get returned to the store or sold.

The duty free request really ticked me off.

She is going to Mexico in January. I should send her a big long list of stuff to get me and send her numerous text messages while she is there.
__________________
Enjoying the mouse since 2007. Now as new DVC members at BLT
KiKi Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron
 
Disney  Doll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Too far from WDW!! :(
Posts: 28,783

People cannot take advantage of us without our permission.
__________________
Disney Doll
Prepare your child for the path, not the path for your child.
Stop telling your God how big the storm is. Instead, tell the storm how big your God is.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi22 View Post
If you want to be rid of her altogether (do you?), give her a firm deadline to pay you and pick up her stuff. Then tell her if she is unable to do so, you will donate the groceries to a local food bank, and put the remaining stuff up for sale. Done, and done.
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,731

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney doll View Post
people cannot take advantage of us without our permission.
this.
__________________
signing off - clh

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
mickeywho?
I think when they became trendy people just assumed the spellings
Gotta love those mounties!
 
mickeywho?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 1,876

Do you know if she has the giftcards yet? Can you call the school to see if they have been sent home?
__________________
March 2014 - Vero Beach Christmas & New Years 2013 - 2014 August 2013 - POFQ & Beach Club for summer heat! March 2013 - Dream Cruise and Vero Beach with our best buds!March 2012 - Vero Beach Christmas 2011 New Year's 2012 - VWL Mar 2011 - 1st time at Vero!Oct 2010 - SSR F&W with the inlaws!May 2010 - Poly & SWW with my big guy!! Christmas and New Years 2009-2010 - HHI Nov 2009 - Just me and my little guy at BWV Jan 2009 - Cruised the Wonder, BCV with best friends! Mar 2008 - "No Kiddies" trip to BWV Feb 2008 - SSR & BWV Aug 2007 - Poly (concierge!) Feb 2007- OKW GV with my family Feb 2006 - POR & WL - first trip with the 4 of us! May 1999 - CSR - first trip with the 3 of us!

(DH) (Me!) (DS16) (DS12) English cocker puppy!
mickeywho? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
KiKi Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,666

The gift cards come in tomorrow. They were supposed to be there last week but for whatever reason they were delayed.

I have asked her to meet me on Wednesday as I'll be in her end of town. Her answer was "that should work, unless <husband> needs the van". Ummm...okay. Then what?


After this, never again. Plus for anybody else it's pre-pay or the answer is no.
__________________
Enjoying the mouse since 2007. Now as new DVC members at BLT
KiKi Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!
 
pkondz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,514

As a fellow 'pegger, I can sympathize.
We've stopped mentioning when we plan to go to several people for the same reasons.

Having said that, next time you're down in the States, could you PM me?
I have a long list of stuff I'd like you to pick up.
I'll give you my address where you can drop everything off.


:



kidding! kidding!
__________________
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice. - Allan Arbus as Dr. Sidney Freedman - RIP

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!



1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
lolainkent
Mouseketeer
 
lolainkent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canadian in Kent, UK
Posts: 195

I'm no longer in Canada so I don't go CAN-US anymore...but do you still have to declare everything and stay within personal limits? If so, in the future you can still tell people you're going but say that you're planning to spend what your limit is. If anyone says "oh they don't check" then say you were checked once and taxed on a few things.
__________________




I like to travel, so I started a blog!
The Wanderlust Trap
lolainkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
KiKi Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,666

LOL some people eh?

I think she is pizzed I didn't get her any cheese. LOL

From now on the answer is "no" plain and simple. Reason being is that I am not going to come home and chase people for money or go out of my way to make arrangements to get their stuff to them.


Anybody want to buy Xbox Call of Duty Ghosts? LOL
__________________
Enjoying the mouse since 2007. Now as new DVC members at BLT
KiKi Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.