Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
draybook
Earning My Ears

How big of a failure is My Magic "Plus" ??? An Interesting Read Here!!!

http://micechat.com/49401-my-magic-plus-failure/

Situation is currently dire.
draybook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I had to laugh at the section that claimed that Jay Rasulo had no theme park operations experience. Apparently the authors have forgotten that Jay was formerly in charge of all theme parks before switching jobs with Tom Skaggs a few years ago.

They also seem to think that people will just walk up to the entrance gates and try to get in without proper admission media. Several things wrong with that; there is a long walk from parking or even the hotels out on Harbor, they need to go through bag check, the esplanade is large enough for the crowds, the removal of turnstiles doesn't mean there isn't anybody there watching the process, and it does work at WDW. Attempts to differentiate the parks because of distance are really a stretch.
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
draybook
Earning My Ears

So you're disagreeing with people that have extensive knowledge and primarily focus on that exact resort? Hate to burst your pixie bubble, but they F'd up with MM+. You can dissect little issues all you want but the truth is plain and simple.
draybook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by draybook View Post
So you're disagreeing with people that have extensive knowledge and primarily focus on that exact resort? Hate to burst your pixie bubble, but they F'd up with MM+. You can dissect little issues all you want but the truth is plain and simple.
Plain truth, the micechat article, as pointed out on many sites is so full of holes as to be ridiculous. I'd go through them all but it's a waste of time. I'll leave it to you to go read those, but the situation is far from dire.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
Plain truth, the micechat article, as pointed out on many sites is so full of holes as to be ridiculous. I'd go through them all but it's a waste of time. I'll leave it to you to go read those, but the situation is far from dire.
Well said. I've already commented on two other threads regarding this as well as wrote a blog for The DIS about it. The mass hysteria needs to stop.

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/11/06/d...-hysteria-you/

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Well said. I've already commented on two other threads regarding this as well as wrote a blog for The DIS about it. The mass hysteria needs to stop.

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/11/06/d...-hysteria-you/
Agreed 100%!

There is so much that is just illogical about these claims that is so much like conspiracy theories. Once the idea is set, facts make no difference. There is continued rollout with many reporting no problems. If things were so bad why do they keep expanding the use of bands and why do they seem to work for the majority?!

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
mikek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I had to laugh at the section that claimed that Jay Rasulo had no theme park operations experience. Apparently the authors have forgotten that Jay was formerly in charge of all theme parks before switching jobs with Tom Skaggs a few years ago.

They also seem to think that people will just walk up to the entrance gates and try to get in without proper admission media. Several things wrong with that; there is a long walk from parking or even the hotels out on Harbor, they need to go through bag check, the esplanade is large enough for the crowds, the removal of turnstiles doesn't mean there isn't anybody there watching the process, and it does work at WDW. Attempts to differentiate the parks because of distance are really a stretch.

I think it's a bit of a stretch myself that it matters in the scheme of things- but even when there were turnstiles I've watched at WDW when families basically attacked the poor CM with strollers and grandparents and extended families and squeeze in 10 people with 8 tickets and when the poor CM tried to figure out who had a tickets and who didn't it's just too late and they all put throw their hands up and let it be so as not to make a huge scene at the gates. I can only imagine how unfun that must be without even a turnstile.
mikek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Agreed 100%!

There is so much that is just illogical about these claims that is so much like conspiracy theories. Once the idea is set, facts make no difference. There is continued rollout with many reporting no problems. If things were so bad why do they keep expanding the use of bands and why do they seem to work for the majority?!
Well not a majority of the guests. More than half of them (off site guests) are excluded from FP+, rides with FP+ only lines! and day of FP-.

The guests at Pop are given the choice of magicbands and only three FP+ OR room key and NO FP at all.

There is a substantial number of the remaining minority of guests "testing" that don't like the limitations and tiers.

Isn't it possible, that the people who like it right now are simply benefitting from a priority touring that isn't available to all.

It is a legitimate question to ask if the same benefits will be there when 100% of the guests are online. There are some good questions to ask. Disney's lack of ride capacity is the spoiler here.

The bands are great, the concept is awesome, and technology is cool. But, does Disney have the attraction slots to pull it off? The tiers indicate a NO at two parks. DAK has even less capacity, so it will be interesting if it has tiers soon.

Asking these questions before investing $5000-10000 is wise, not hysterical.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
rteetz
DIS Veteran

The my magic plus system has had its ups and downs. It's still in testing. It is now at every disney resort and every disney resort guest can get it if they want. One of the biggest things is you don't have to get a magic band you can still get a card with a RFID chip in it. The biggest problem with the system I will have to say is fast pass but as far as resorts and park entry it has been working pretty well. People don't like the fact that you have to only use three FPs. Which for me is not the end of the world I only used about three in a day I don't need more than that. I like the fact you can now get FP for shows parades and fireworks. The biggest thing of all is people don't like change and this is change I'm ok with it but many others aren't. Disney would not be doing this unless there was a reason and a need for it. People need to realize this.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Well not a majority of the guests. More than half of them (off site guests) are excluded from FP+, rides with FP+ only lines! and day of FP-.

The guests at Pop are given the choice of magicbands and only three FP+ OR room key and NO FP at all.

There is a substantial number of the remaining minority of guests "testing" that don't like the limitations and tiers.

Isn't it possible, that the people who like it right now are simply benefitting from a priority touring that isn't available to all.

It is a legitimate question to ask if the same benefits will be there when 100% of the guests are online. There are some good questions to ask. Disney's lack of ride capacity is the spoiler here.

The bands are great, the concept is awesome, and technology is cool. But, does Disney have the attraction slots to pull it off? The tiers indicate a NO at two parks. DAK has even less capacity, so it will be interesting if it has tiers soon.

Asking these questions before investing $5000-10000 is wise, not hysterical.
Asking those questions is absolutely legitimate. Making rash claims that the whole thing is a huge failure, is not.

But sensationalism sells articles, blog or otherwise.

Ancedotal reports, actual surveys, and Disney's expansion of the rollout all support that the great majority are happy. Maybe they shouldn't be, but they are. Plus, MM+ and FP+ are two different things. FP+ is a minor part, completely changeable, and can go up in the future if enough of us complain. I'll wait and see what happens after regular FP is gone. MM+ is a fantastic idea that will pay off in spades in the future as an amazing technological advance that of course won't pay off immediately.

2014 November - ?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
The my magic plus system has had its ups and downs. It's still in testing. It is now at every disney resort and every disney resort guest can get it if they want. One of the biggest things is you don't have to get a magic band you can still get a card with a RFID chip in it. The biggest problem with the system I will have to say is fast pass but as far as resorts and park entry it has been working pretty well. People don't like the fact that you have to only use three FPs. Which for me is not the end of the world I only used about three in a day I don't need more than that. I like the fact you can now get FP for shows parades and fireworks. The biggest thing of all is people don't like change and this is change I'm ok with it but many others aren't. Disney would not be doing this unless there was a reason and a need for it. People need to realize this.
Two of Disneys reasons most often given to stockholders : 1, move people from headliners to the less popular rides, 2. Get people to commit to vacations, parks, and rides in advance so they won't wander off to other Orlando attractions. Neither of those two reasons improve my vacation. As for the need... This will makes Disney billions of dollars without having to build more and more attractions.

These are things that Disney has said.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:

Thing is, the lack of ride capacity is nothing new. On a typical day, attractions like Soarin and Toy Story Mania only have capacity to handle 1/2 (or less) of all guests entering their respective parks.

The challenge Disney faces is trying to frame this reality in a way that isn't off-putting to guests. It's one thing if you can't get a FP for Toy Story Mania simply because RnR, ToT or others are of higher priority on the day of visit...if you just can't squeeze it in before all FPs are gone. But it's quite different if you're told days or weeks in advance that you must choose one from a list of A, B and C.

It's also worth noting that the testing process has forced Disney to divide attraction capacity between the legacy FP system and FP+. And they've allowed those testing to essentially double-dip...getting FPs from both systems.

Lastly, not sure I agree that "more than half" of Disney guests are excluded from FP+. They now have 30,000 hotel rooms on-site. Every one of those rooms can hold 4 guests. Many are 6-person family suites and DVC villas that hold 9 or 12 individuals.

During a busy holiday period, certainly there are many staying off-site who drive to the Disney parks. But during periods of more moderate attendance, I'd be very surprised if Disney hotel guests didn't account for more than half of all theme park visitors.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Asking those questions is absolutely legitimate. Making rash claims that the whole thing is a huge failure, is not.

But sensationalism sells articles, blog or otherwise.

Ancedotal reports, actual surveys, and Disney's expansion of the rollout all support that the great majority are happy. Maybe they shouldn't be, but they are. Plus, MM+ and FP+ are two different things. FP+ is a minor part, completely changeable, and can go up in the future if enough of us complain. I'll wait and see what happens after regular FP is gone. MM+ is a fantastic idea that will pay off in spades in the future as an amazing technological advance that of course won't pay off immediately.
I don't understand this great majority comment. It isn't a majority of all guests. I majority of the minority mike like it. But I can't imagine a single off site guest approving this right now.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't understand this great majority comment. It isn't a majority of all guests. I majority of the minority mike like it. But I can't imagine a single off site guest approving this right now.
Those that have tested or used the bands/FP+/new system.

In the future off site will be allowed to purchase a band. We will have to wait and see how everything shakes out for off site and total number of FP+, but at this time the majority of people that have used MM+ like it.

2014 November - ?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Two of Disneys reasons most often given to stockholders : 1, move people from headliners to the less popular rides, 2. Get people to commit to vacations, parks, and rides in advance so they won't wander off to other Orlando attractions. Neither of those two reasons improve my vacation. As for the need... This will makes Disney billions of dollars without having to build more and more attractions. These are things that Disney has said.
Disney is a company that wants to make money and with everything they do they want to make money just as every other company does so if this didn't increase revenue then they wouldn't do it. Yes I understand it doesn't help everyone's vacation it's not supposed to but disney is going to do what they want they are just that large of a company where a little complaining isn't going to do anything.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: