Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #271
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

I'm sure its been said many times before, but my biggest concern with FP+ is that it potentially kills any spontaneity. After the first couple days we like to hop parks (maybe more than once) and could do that with the knowledge that if we go to a park we could grab a fastpass or two and not have to worry about lines. Now the entire trip will have to be regimented and to the extent we park hop we'll have to do so without the use of fastpasses at one park. I'll withhold final judgment to see how it plays out for a few more months but as of right now we will not be booking our spring 2014 trip to Disney World. May head to Punta Cana instead.

And we like to ride the headliners multiple times. We'll ride Splash Mountain and BTMR 4-5 times each in one day, and we could do that because we arrive early in the morning when we can ride standby then grab a FP for later. Seems that may be difficult if not impossible now.
GeorgiaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #272
angey77
DIS Veteran

Some of the options for not liking FP+ on the survey sent to me did include park hopping and the limited number of FP+ one can book per day. I'm hoping since they were both mentioned more than once in varying questions, it is something being looked into QUICKLY.
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #273
bastos
ValiantDad

I keep thinking that the standby lines may be shorter with the new FP+ for a few reasons.

1. The people that 'will not return' won't return.
2. Extended FP- use will be eliminated / curtailed.

With fewer people jumping the lines, or perhaps not there - or only able to use a FP once - the standby lines move faster.
June 2009 - Pop Century
June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
May 2014 - Me and wife ALONE for Star Wars weekend at Beach Club
December 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

bastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #274
wordwitt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
This is what I dont get...it is all great that certain posters are saying relax, this might not be what it is in the end. Well right now I dont care about the final product I care about my trip that starts this week! I dont care what WDW is calling it, this is no longer a test but a rollout and their "test" can affect the days I planned for WDW. This has not been relaxing having to uber plan this, and also waiting for the other shoe to drop, like will my resort be the next to go KTTW card. That is stressful. I dont want to stand in lines dealing with MB issues, we did that one year with dining plan credit issues and it truly stunk!

We will make the best of whatever comes our way bc we are together, and we will have fun. But this has not been one of those trips that I am as excitied about
'
I'm sorry if my comment sounded cavalier. It was aimed primarily at the person who wanted to sue Disney in a class action lawsuit. I understand completely being unsettled by the current system if you are traveling to WDW in the near future. That said, the tried and true rope drop strategy appears to work well even now. Also, there's nothing any of us can do to change Disney's strategy during roll-out/testing, so anyone going during this time is going to have to work inside the parameters that Disney has established. So to the extent that a guest lacks a certain amount of control, I still think the best strategy is to relax and try to find a way to tour within those parameters. I am not saying it's ideal, but the first part of December is traditionally a low crowd time, which will help.
wordwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #275
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastos View Post
I keep thinking that the standby lines may be shorter with the new FP+ for a few reasons.

1. The people that 'will not return' won't return.
2. Extended FP- use will be eliminated / curtailed.

With fewer people jumping the lines, or perhaps not there - or only able to use a FP once - the standby lines move faster.
1. The people saying they won't return isn't even enough to be considered a drop in the bucket.

2. Just because people can't use multiple FP+s on a single ride doesn't mean there will be fewer people in the FP line (thereby making standby move faster). If there are 6,000 FPs per day at Soarin and before, 3,000 grabbed two FPs per day for the ride, that's 6,000 people in the FP line. Now, with only one FP per person, 6,000 different people will get FPs, but it's the same number of people in the FP line as before.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #276
gottaluvPluto
Loving everything Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsteve View Post
I'm curious as to how you know it isn't a system-wide issue for such reservations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
I don't. I'm just guessing since we've only seen this one complaint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
WDW could not handle two rooms on the Dining Plan together and get the credits correct several years ago...it does not surprise me at all that the SYSTEM can not handle the sister's situation.
Guest Services told my sister that this isn't the first time it has happened and that it is with their system and NOT HER. She is still having the problem getting into the park every day.

The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.
gottaluvPluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #277
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwitt View Post
I'm sorry if my comment sounded cavalier. It was aimed primarily at the person who wanted to sue Disney in a class action lawsuit. I understand completely being unsettled by the current system if you are traveling to WDW in the near future. That said, the tried and true rope drop strategy appears to work well even now. Also, there's nothing any of us can do to change Disney's strategy during roll-out/testing, so anyone going during this time is going to have to work inside the parameters that Disney has established. So to the extent that a guest lacks a certain amount of control, I still think the best strategy is to relax and try to find a way to tour within those parameters. I am not saying it's ideal, but the first part of December is traditionally a low crowd time, which will help.
It is not just you saying relax, it is a lof of posters too and it is frustrating. I think this has been an epic customer service fail for WDW. Asking people to sign up for testing, than after being locked in changing the parameters of the testing stinks. And if it is buggy enough that people are getting blue Mickey heads upon park entry etc, than the testing should have been completed before this rollout. NO GUEST should have to spend so much time at guest services dealing with a test for WDW while on vacation. No guest should show up and then have the rules changed on them. They should have had a rollout schedule, offered incentives to particpate like room discounts whatever, and let the conusmer decided if they were willing to risk their vacation dollars. If people at Pop knew that change was coming they should have been given options to switch resorts or given a discount for not having the same playing field as everyone else.

We are rope droppers so we will do a lot then and make the best of it. We have survived trips with messed up dining plans, sickness and record low temps, we will survive this. But it does not make me happy to be spending a ton of money with uncertainity attached to it and it doesnt make me relax that is for sure!
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #278
pouncingpluto
2005 WDW Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post

1. The people saying they won't return isn't even enough to be considered a drop in the bucket.

2. Just because people can't use multiple FP+s on a single ride doesn't mean there will be fewer people in the FP line (thereby making standby move faster). If there are 6,000 FPs per day at Soarin and before, 3,000 grabbed two FPs per day for the ride, that's 6,000 people in the FP line. Now, with only one FP per person, 6,000 different people will get FPs, but it's the same number of people in the FP line as before.
Say that there are 3000 A people and 3000 B people. The A people all got 2 FP for Space Mountain. The B people all rode standby. Now the A people only get 1 FP a piece, and the B people get those FP instead. It is plausible that standby lines will go down because:

1. A lot of the A people aren't willing to do standby to ride Space a second time, so they only ride once a day instead of twice.

2. A lot of the B people don't care about riding Space twice. So they never enter the standby line either.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #279
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylevan View Post
What I care about is the tiered mess that my Jan trip is. And it is definitely looking like no KTTW card, so no FP- for us. So that means I get the joy of being in the stand-by line with my newly 40" tall DS for TT and/or Soarin'. Possibly both if he decides he loves 1 or the other and wants to re-ride.

The standby line at "Rope Drop" won't be long, so if you do one at RD, and have FP+ for the other, that will give you at least one ride on each without much wait.

Epcot has typically been opening at 8:45, although the day we were there in mid-November, they didn't open until 8:57.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #280
xie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHoo View Post
I'm sure its been said many times before, but my biggest concern with FP+ is that it potentially kills any spontaneity. After the first couple days we like to hop parks (maybe more than once) and could do that with the knowledge that if we go to a park we could grab a fastpass or two and not have to worry about lines. Now the entire trip will have to be regimented and to the extent we park hop we'll have to do so without the use of fastpasses at one park.
We are AP holders (until next May anyway). We have always park hopped, going to one park in the morning/early afternoon, then leaving to rest, then going to a park for the evening (sometimes the same one, often a different one, since for example there's no AK at night).

For the first time ever, our upcoming NYE trip has NO park hopping days planned. Due to booking FP+, there aren't any split park days at all in our schedule. One park per day, period. Table meals are even scheduled in the same park as the FP+'s because the times are spread out just far enough that it's impractical to leave to eat. Given that it will be Xmas/NY week, I do not expect to be able to reschedule FP on the fly much, if at all.

We've been going to Disney for many years. Some years we buy APs, some years we just buy park hopper length of stay passes, depending on how many days we'll be at WDW that year. However, in future, I can already tell that 1) we will no longer want to buy park hopper length of stay passes, since park hopping is a bit nerfed (unless you're only hopping for a parade/fireworks event or a meal), and 2), unless we stay so many days that an AP becomes cheaper than a regular length of stay non-hopping park pass, we won't buy APs anymore either.

Since I haven't been there yet, I won't leap to judgement right now on how well or poorly the FP+ system might be working. I just foresee some changes that might not be ideal, such as FP booking times making it harder to leave the park to eat at a resort or different park, and making the purchase of park hopper tickets pretty much a waste of money (at least in peak season - park hoppers will still probably be fine in lower times when standby lines are short and FPs are not utilized as much).

27 WDW Trips and 2 DL Trips since 1994
Most recently, New Year's 2014
xie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #281
amylevan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-dad66 View Post
The standby line at "Rope Drop" won't be long, so if you do one at RD, and have FP+ for the other, that will give you at least one ride on each without much wait.

Epcot has typically been opening at 8:45, although the day we were there in mid-November, they didn't open until 8:57.
Yes, we are traditionally rope droppers, so I understand I can get in line at opening (for 1 ride) and not wait.

My point is that Mr. and Mrs. Smith staying at the cheaper off-site hotel will be able to pull FP- for TT and Soarin' all day. I am restricted to 1. Lucky us.
2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2010 (x2) - Fort Wilderness
2012 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Fort Wilderness
amylevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #282
Eastern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHoo View Post
And we like to ride the headliners multiple times. We'll ride Splash Mountain and BTMR 4-5 times each in one day, and we could do that because we arrive early in the morning when we can ride standby then grab a FP for later. Seems that may be difficult if not impossible now.
I would just get your FP+ for later. I still think a rope drop strategy will work because late sleepers are going to be late sleepers no matter what, FP+ or no.

But my biggest complaint is still the amount of planning that has to be done in advance.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #283
clsteve
It takes a very long time to become young

Location: Where, if the world ended tomorrow, we wouldn't know for three days

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-dad66 View Post

I'm concerned that RD may change a bit once everyone is on the system since FP+ times are starting at Park opening. I sure hope it doesn't.
clsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #284
Eastern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylevan View Post
My point is that Mr. and Mrs. Smith staying at the cheaper off-site hotel will be able to pull FP- for TT and Soarin' all day.
I just don't think that this is going to happen. Got to be some incentive to stay on site.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #285
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern View Post
I just don't think that this is going to happen. Got to be some incentive to stay on site.
I think amylevan is talking about for her specific trip coming up. Not indefinitely into the future. I could be wrong though.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: