Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #31
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

My dd is 14 so it's been years. I do remember buying flushable wipes until she was 7 or so. She was doing it on her own son after potty training at 4. In pre-k her teachers didn't help the kids in the bathroom unless they had a serious problem so she was on her own pretty early.

Op, your bil and sil probably don't feel like dealing with the battle that would ensue if they forced their kid to do it himself. It's called lazy parenting. They need to find his "currency" and force the issue. There must be some lovely laundry in their house if the kid has to go away from his parents.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #32
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post

Yikes. I'm not sure what that mom thinks she is protecting her children from by wiping their behinds but I'm pretty sure shes causing some serious psychological damage to them.

ETA I know a mom who still bathed her ds when he was 10/11 and she told me not too long ago that sometimes she still brushes his teeth. He's 13 now
She still brushes all of their teeth, too. She is a hardcore helicopter mom, personally I think she goes way way way overboard and is definitely not doing her kids any favors, especially the nearly 11 year old boy.

Sent from me.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #33
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
An able bodied 7 year old should have been feeling confident for quite some time. If they don't then there is a problem there.
What do these kids do in school?
They go to the school nurse. I wish I were kidding, but I'm not. I can't tell you how many k-2s I have had in my little bathroom shouting, "Come wipe me!" Um, no. You're big enough to be in school, you're big enough to wipe yourself and wash your hands. The only kids who get a pass are those who are physically unable to take care of their bathroom matters.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #34
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Each of the kids mastered it at 3 or 4, though we've had some "regression" since the start of this school year with DD5 wanting help with things she's been able to do for herself for a while, including wiping. But she's also back to afternoon naps and has been sort of clingy/needy with me since school started so I think that's all part of adjusting to all-day, every-day school.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #35
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

I don't remember an exact age, but I do take great pride in reminding my kids that I used to have to do it....................and that it won't be long before they'll have to do it for DW and I.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #36
Mickeyluver37
I had way more than 3 at a time
I would absolutely try to go eat in the castle

I am really surprised that so many of your kids are pooping in school. My 5 y.o. still needs help in this area but he would never ask anyone other than dh or I. I can't remember for the older 2 They all 3 still only go at home if they can help it. By this thread, I guess that's rare. :rofl

(DH) (Me) (DD17) (DS15) (DS- 6)

Mickeyluver37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #37
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post
She still brushes all of their teeth, too. She is a hardcore helicopter mom, personally I think she goes way way way overboard and is definitely not doing her kids any favors, especially the nearly 11 year old boy.

Sent from me.
We travel about twice a month, we happened to stop and order some food to go and I needed to use the restroom. I am hearing this mom in the handicap stall with her daughter and saying " Do you have to go ? " " are you playing around?" . I went to wash my hands and saw that her daughter was about 11 or 12
Old 11-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #38
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I don't remember an exact age, but I do take great pride in reminding my kids that I used to have to do it....................and that it won't be long before they'll have to do it for DW and I.
Hmmm… I mentioned the diaper thing to DD20 earlier today, reminding her that I changed hers and that someday the tables would be turned!
Old 11-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #39
ORMom2Four
DIS Veteran

My 8yo would be horrified if I was to help him do that

We have 6 kids. For each of them, I teach them to do it as soon as they are potty trained. They start to do it on their own 100% of the time when they are about 3.5 years old.

I remember my mom telling my little brother, "Today is your birthday, you are now 8 and I won't wipe you anymore." She still wiped his bum for the next year.

He is almost 30 and still lives at home
ORMom2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #40
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Oldest DS was doing it completely on his own before he went to preschool. Youngest was a bit older because he had severe constipation issues and I had him to call me to see what he had done as not checking has ended us in the ER more than once!! I sometimes did wipe him up until about 5. I bought and still buy the flushable wipes....just so much easier. Now as far as going at school...they just didn't do it. I don't think the younger one has EVER gone at school. He would never have asked someone besides us to wipe him ever. He was about three and had never wiped himself alone when I had to leave him in the ER waiting room with a friend one night when we had a family member quite sick. He had to go and took care of it all on his own. Even at 3 he would have never asked anyone else to help. I do know of quite a few kids that parents have wiped them even up to 7 or 8.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #41
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Preschool teacher here- many four year olds still need help getting things clean. Not uncommon at all that they ask for help. Of course, there are also a few who don't wipe at all - proof is in the pants- yikes!!!

My oldest was probably 4 or 5, and my youngest was 5. We always bought the flushable kids wipes though, which made a huge difference and helped them be independent in that department.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #42
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

I have a friend who teaches kindergarten. At the beginning of every year she has a kid who yells for help. She tells them they need to take care of it themselves. A five year old in school should be able to do that. She also can't leave the other 23 kids in her class unattended to deal with bathroom issues if it is not an emergency.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #43
primgirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canooknic View Post
My boys were 4. I first taught them to wipe while still sitting when they were about 3.5 and then standing at 4.
It was a requirement for stheir school that they were completely toilet trained before starting kindergarden
When I read this I had no idea that people stood up to wipe. I googled it and a large percentage of the population stands. I truly had no idea, I assumed everyone wiped while sitting.

The things I learn on the disboard.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #44
nicolita3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by primgirl

When I read this I had no idea that people stood up to wipe. I googled it and a large percentage of the population stands. I truly had no idea, I assumed everyone wiped while sitting.

The things I learn on the disboard.
Neither have I...
Old 12-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #45
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post

If your DD is using baby wipes! I hope she is putting themin the trash can. They are one of the biggest causes of clogged plumbing systems.
We use the flush able wipes at home, but she does pretty good with regular TP when in public. And the flush able wipes are only for when she poops.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: