Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
leebee
DIS Veteran

I can tell you what they do at school. Some of them are fine, some not so much. There's a physiological issue with wiping; your arms need to be long enough to "reach." Judging by the skid marks on the seats of the toilets in the K-2 wing at school, my guess is parents are over-estimating the independence and ability of some children!
Old 11-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
DVCJones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
I can tell you what they do at school. Some of them are fine, some not so much. There's a physiological issue with wiping; your arms need to be long enough to "reach." Judging by the skid marks on the seats of the toilets in the K-2 wing at school, my guess is parents are over-estimating the independence and ability of some children!
Haha! This post made me laugh. I also work in a school and I completely agree. I think most kids between 4-8can wipe just fine most of the time. But, there are times when things could be a little messy back there and some assistance is needed.
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #18
ellone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCJones View Post
Haha! This post made me laugh. I also work in a school and I completely agree. I think most kids between 4-8can wipe just fine most of the time. But, there are times when things could be a little messy back there and some assistance is needed.
After a few skid marks I told my 4 year old she needs to wipe better. Her solution? She tries to get me or my husband to wipe when she poops now.
ellone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #19
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

My twins are 6.

DS does fine. Sometimes, like a PP said, if he had tummy issues he'll ask for help.

DD still tries to get me to do it, but I won't. She does it herself. It helps of we have wipes.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
hegsag
Mouseketeer

My youngest is 7 and I can't remember the last time I wiped his butt. He's always been independent and wants to do everything on his own.
hegsag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
I would say it is not the length of their arms but they are wiping in the front and not the back. My kids do this all the time and I tell them especially my dd not to do that but they don't listen. That is how it gets on the seat is my guess.

Mine I'm sure were before they went to school if not before so 3 maybe.

Teaching a child to wipe with a baby wipe isn't a good idea since more often then not they will have to use toilet paper at school and work. Can't flush baby wipes either. Mind you Cottonelle has wet wipes out now but can't imagine putting something wet and cold back there to wipe.
NAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #22
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCJones View Post
I agree with that, although I can honestly say I don't ever remember physically assisting any of my kids when they were past the age 5 in messy situations. They were taught how to clean themselves, and the toilet seat if necessary. Like a pp, we always have wipes on hand, and clorox wipes for the toilet seat

The OP describes the child yelling "I'm done", not "I need help" so to me that sounds like its a regular thing that the parents do for that child.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseheidi View Post
My DD is 4, and she takes care of it herself, unless we are out in a public restroom. Then she has to use regular TP instead of a baby wipe, and sometimes needs my help. Also, she is scared of self flushing toilets, and refuses to do it herself on one.
If your DD is using baby wipes! I hope she is putting themin the trash can. They are one of the biggest causes of clogged plumbing systems.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #24
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
If your DD is using baby wipes! I hope she is putting themin the trash can. They are one of the biggest causes of clogged plumbing systems.
They do make flushable ones. We use them here at home. A delight!
Old 11-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #25
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

I helped DD until she was probably close to four. I stopped shortly after she turned three, then realized she was wiping incorrectly for her girly bits so I started helping again. My son is almost 3 1/3 and has been potty trained for only about three months so I do still help him. I cannot imagine helping an able-bodied child past four or five.

But, my friend's oldest will be 11 next week, her others are 8 and 5 and she recently told me she still wipes all of them....

Sent from me.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #26
GRUMPY PIRATE
First rule, always!!

SERIOUSLY

I would say you should stop by the time they leave for college or boot camp.

YMMV
Old 11-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post
I helped DD until she was probably close to four. I stopped shortly after she turned three, then realized she was wiping incorrectly for her girly bits so I started helping again. My son is almost 3 1/3 and has been potty trained for only about three months so I do still help him. I cannot imagine helping an able-bodied child past four or five.

But, my friend's oldest will be 11 next week, her others are 8 and 5 and she recently told me she still wipes all of them....

Sent from me.
Yikes. I'm not sure what that mom thinks she is protecting her children from by wiping their behinds but I'm pretty sure shes causing some serious psychological damage to them.

ETA I know a mom who still bathed her ds when he was 10/11 and she told me not too long ago that sometimes she still brushes his teeth. He's 13 now
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

My boys were 4. I first taught them to wipe while still sitting when they were about 3.5 and then standing at 4.
It was a requirement for stheir school that they were completely toilet trained before starting kindergarden

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #29
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

All of mine were wiping their own butts by the age of four. Only one of mine went to pre-K the other two went directly into K. But by the time they all started school they were taking care of their own bathroom issues.

My kids would have been mortified if at the age of 7 I tried to come in the bathroom and wipe their butt.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #30
bellebud
DIS Veteran

It's not very common, but I think completely 'normal' for a 7yo to either be lazy, or not have enough confidence to do the job. I wouldn't think twice about it.
bellebud is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: