Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

Unhappy What age did you stop, er, wiping your kids' hiney?

So we finish eating Thanksgiving dinner at my in-laws and some of us are sitting around and others are helping clear and clean up. Suddenly from one of the bathrooms, I hear a loud, "I'M DOOOONE." And then my dbil and dsil essentially do a rock, paper, scissors to decide who's turn it is to go wipe my nephew's hind end. He's going to be 7 in a couple of months.

After my initial shock and after shooting a WTH glance at my dh (it's his sister,) my first thought was, "what does this kid do at school?" We stopped wiping our kiddos (ds12 and dd8) at around 4 years old when they went to preschool/4K. I thought that was pretty standard. Now, of course, there's been the occasional assistance when needed, but those times have been few and far between.

Just curious as to when everyone else stopped the wiping???
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

My DD is 4, and she takes care of it herself, unless we are out in a public restroom. Then she has to use regular TP instead of a baby wipe, and sometimes needs my help. Also, she is scared of self flushing toilets, and refuses to do it herself on one.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

Maybe your nephew needed some help from mom or dad. Might be that the parents are lucky he will ask for their help. Might have been that taking care of his own need he might have used so much paper he would have caused a toilet back up. Might have been his parents asked their son to give a call for assistance to insure all was taken care of.

Each child is different in and when they feel confident in taking care of the bathroom issue.

My grand daughter was 4 when she decided she did not want anyone to help her. We did have to listen to her sing while in the queens room. LOL -- she is a hoot. Grandson was 6/7 when he decided it was time to do it alone and his parents never worried.

If this is all the parents ever have to worry about they get a high five IMHO.
Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

My DD is only four months old (so lots of mama-wipin'-the-bottom here!), but I would imagine that kids should be wiping their own bottoms by age four or so--definitely in time for kindergarten. I can understand exceptions, but a child screaming "I'm Done!!!" doesn't sound like, "please come help." It sounds like what the child would say to be wiped by mom or dad on a normal basis.

So yes, that would surprise me too if that happened at our Thanksgiving.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
SLP958
DIS Veteran

This would not surprise me at all. DS 6 will still ask someone to do this for him sometimes. (We say "no, wiping your own tail is part of life")

I would not expect for it to be yelled out with company present. By that age they should be wanting a little privacy.
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

My grandson is 3 and he does it on his own. The only time he asks for help is if he has tummy problems which ended up in a mess.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy 2 B Me View Post

Each child is different in and when they feel confident in taking care of the bathroom issue.
An able bodied 7 year old should have been feeling confident for quite some time. If they don't then there is a problem there.
What do these kids do in school?

Last edited by luvmy3; 11-30-2013 at 01:55 PM.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

I think mine were 4 when they could do it themselves unless they had tummy problems. DS1 went to preschool at 3.5.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
An able bodied 7 year old should have been feeling confident for quite some time. If they don't then there is a problem there.
What does these kids do in school?
My thought exactly. Our DDs were taking care of their wiping needs well before kindergarten.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
mumto3girls
DIS Veteran

My youngest is 7. I can't recall the last time I wiped a butt--whoo hoo! There was a time I couldn't have imagined that! My guess is my girls were 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 as they were fine at preschool etc although I doubt they would have gone at school unless it were an emergency.

I do recall my girlfriend and my sister (both of whom have an older son and younger daughter) saying that their girls were ready much quicker than their boys. I think my girlfriend said something about her son being so lazy that he refused to wipe his own butt and it wasn't until her much younger daughter was doing it on her own that she realized that he was quite capable of it, he just didn't want to and needed a little push to do it himself.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

I would say by age 3 all my kids were wiping without assistance. My youngest is 7 and it's been years since I have helped her in the bathroom.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Outside of physical issues (illness/injury, disabilities) or a special needs child, 7 is well beyond too old to require assistance in toileting.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
So we finish eating Thanksgiving dinner at my in-laws and some of us are sitting around and others are helping clear and clean up. Suddenly from one of the bathrooms, I hear a loud, "I'M DOOOONE." And then my dbil and dsil essentially do a rock, paper, scissors to decide who's turn it is to go wipe my nephew's hind end. He's going to be 7 in a couple of months. After my initial shock and after shooting a WTH glance at my dh (it's his sister,) my first thought was, "what does this kid do at school?" We stopped wiping our kiddos (ds12 and dd8) at around 4 years old when they went to preschool/4K. I thought that was pretty standard. Now, of course, there's been the occasional assistance when needed, but those times have been few and far between. Just curious as to when everyone else stopped the wiping???

My DS was 4.

DD ( miss independence) Im sure I did when she was first potty trained but I dont even remember helping her. So with her , I would say 2 1/2 -3.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
deedeecee
Mouseketeer

I think my daughter was about 4. I really had to force the issue, though, because she was quite content to hand that task off to me. So, I started charging her a quarter. That really motivated her to quit asking me and to do it herself.
deedeecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

My girls are four. They clean urine themselves and try feces. I check them when they do number two. Easier than dealing with skid marks
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: