Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: If FP+ stays AS-IS, do you give it a Thumbs Up or a Thumbs Down?
Thumbs Up 60 18.07%
Thumbs Down 221 66.57%
Haven't experienced FP+ yet in the parks 44 13.25%
Other (undecided, don't care, what's FP?, etc.) 7 2.11%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #31
SoonerSean
Mouseketeer

The best aspect for me was knowing when you needed to get to a park. On our DHS day we had a FP+ for TSM at 1:00. Due to bus issues we didn't arrive until almost 10 (took over an hour). By that time the paper FP system was gone. Same shortly after for Aerosmith. But we had FP+ for both. Had we been using the old system we'd have needed to be in the park at RD. So in that regard FP+ helps immensely.

I can understand people saying they want spontaneity. I agree. But we managed that fairly well by trying to spread out our FP+ choices. We road TSM at 1:00 and then had Aerosmith at 5 and ToT at 7. Plenty of time on between for other stuff. And it worked, to me, much better than the old system when you'd walk up and see a return time that didnt work for you bc of a dining res or something else.

The ability to quickly (for us anyway) change a selection also helped. We had splash mountain on a day when it was cold and windy. Changed it on the fly and road something else. Littlest child freaked and didn't want to ride SM - so quick change there. One day we did the Belle story attraction by making a change minutes before our FP+ window opened and we walked right in. So I'd say we had far far far more positives with how the system worked for us than negatives. In fact, outside of some longer standby lines caused by FP+, I don't have any complaints. Though I say that bc we were able to use the old system to double dip. When that goes away I'll have a different opinion.
SoonerSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #32
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSean View Post
The best aspect for me was knowing when you needed to get to a park. On our DHS day we had a FP+ for TSM at 1:00. Due to bus issues we didn't arrive until almost 10 (took over an hour). By that time the paper FP system was gone. Same shortly after for Aerosmith. But we had FP+ for both. Had we been using the old system we'd have needed to be in the park at RD. So in that regard FP+ helps immensely.

However, now for DHS the FP+ are tiered so, you only get a choice of riding either TSM or Aerosmith on FP+ not both. We arrived at TSM exactly at 9:15 am (to bus issues - the only bus issue we had all week) and paper fastpasses were at 5:30 to 6:30 pm and the standby wait time was 105 minutes. We opt to get a paper fastpass for Aerosmith instead. But I didn't like the tiered aspect of it. This park and Epcot were challenging for us because of the tiered system.
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #33
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefh View Post

I also like the current set up where they release some the day of. Friday morning I checked and ended up with fastpasses at DHS for 10, 11 and 12. One of which was Toy Story. It was nice knowing we didn't have to get there at park opening and make a mad dash back there.
I tried this the day of DHS day and I couldn't get a better time. The only times available were 5:30 to 6:30 and 6:30 to 7:30. How many were in your party? I did this the minute I woke up as well. Because our FP+ time was during Fantasmic we did not ride TSM this trip.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #34
ajfd
Mouseketeer

If you mean with the ability to double-dip FP- and use the MDE trick to pull more than 3 FP+ over multiple parks, then thumbs up. Otherwise, thumbs down.
ajfd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #35
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

I'm a thumbs down as it changed how we toured. This is our first trip back when they have monitored return times for fastpass so this made it more difficult to enjoy sitdown service and rides together. It was much more difficult to manage as I didn't have the best FP+ times. We love sitting down for meals and find that they don't even take longer than counter service meals. In fact we ate at Via Napoli and it took 50 minutes exactly from the time we checked in to the time we left the restaurant. Granted we always go during peak season and prefer our meals get served hot instead of trying to find a table while your food gets cold. I did discover that some of my fastpass times would overlap our meal times and found out that since I called for some of my dining reservations the fp+ system did not know I was dining at that time. So, it would try and schedule me for a ride at that time. We definitely got less done in Epcot and DHS. MK was fine as well as AK but we used the paper FP as well and once that goes away I would not be happy.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #36
Shanan
Mouseketeer

Thumbs down for us also
Old 12-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #37
ilovefh
Is it Disney time yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco View Post
I tried this the day of DHS day and I couldn't get a better time. The only times available were 5:30 to 6:30 and 6:30 to 7:30. How many were in your party? I did this the minute I woke up as well. Because our FP+ time was during Fantasmic we did not ride TSM this trip.
We did this Friday morning, around 8:30. There were 4 of us. I tried starting at 6:30 when we woke up and there was nothing available until 8:30.

ilovefh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #38
SoonerSean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco View Post
However, now for DHS the FP+ are tiered so, you only get a choice of riding either TSM or Aerosmith on FP+ not both. We arrived at TSM exactly at 9:15 am (to bus issues - the only bus issue we had all week) and paper fastpasses were at 5:30 to 6:30 pm and the standby wait time was 105 minutes. We opt to get a paper fastpass for Aerosmith instead. But I didn't like the tiered aspect of it. This park and Epcot were challenging for us because of the tiered system.
We didn't experience the tiering. I guess that started after I booked ours. That is a lousy change and I'd certainly vote thumbs down if we had experienced that. At DHS and EPCOT there are obviously not enough attractions to limit people to just two "main" rides. If you could only pull TSM and ToT and then had to use the 3rd to see the Ariel show or Indiana Jones I wouldn't be happy. Same at EPCOT. I noticed the line to ride the Norway deal was almost 40 minutes one night. Never waited more than 10 before. That's another negative of FP+ and probably tiering.
SoonerSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #39
Mickey's Best Girl
Peace, Love & Mickey Mouse.... what else is there?

Thumbs down

Emphatic thumbs down.

-limit of 3
-tiering (full disclosure-wasn't affected by this)
-face in my phone all vacation-hated it
-planning/scheduling - this does not make for a VACATION IMO.
-can't choose same ride twice ie. 2x RNRC 1xTSMM

My biggest beef with FP+ is planning months in advance. I am a retail store manager, one of my biggest responsibilities is scheduling and planning. When I go on vacation its all about spontaneity.

We have already stopped eating table service due to our hate for planning. This might just be the straw....

Will wait and see but so far we are not fans.
Sept. '89, offsite ** Oct. '98, offsite ** April '06, Pop ** Dec. '07, Pop ** Nov. '08, CBR ** Nov. '09 4 nights @ POR - 3 nights on DCL Wonder - 7 nights @ Pop ** April '10, Pop ** Nov. '10, Pop ** April '11, Pop ** Oct. '11, Pop - endured 40th anniversary mayhem and lived to tell the story, barely ** April '12, Pop ** October '12, AOA Mermaid ** October '13, Pop
Mickey's Best Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #40
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quite a few of you are indicating that you voted thumbs up based on the way it was when you visited, not the way it is now with tiers, far more people using the new system such that FP+ unavailability is high, and the old system strained by the new system to the point of being useless. It sounds like if everyone answered the way it was written it would be skewed even more towards dissatisfaction.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #41
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

I voted thumbs down, specifically due to the tiered FP+. When we used FP+ in Sept, there was no tiered system, and it was o.k. (I still prefer the old paper FP system though).

There are big plusses and big minuses to the FP+.

So to sum it up for us:

The plus: Scheduling FP in the late morning and afternoon which lets you actually sleep in on your vacation if you would like, and the comfort of knowing you have your favorite attractions all set for the day.

The Minus: Limited ability to modify headliner FP+ the day of. Limit of 3. Having to plan even MORE than you used to on your Disney Vacation, which locks you into certain parks even more than before once your schedule is setup. Now you have to worry about ADR's as well as FP+. Being tied to a smartphone on vacation, and not being able to just go with the flow as much as before.

The tiered FP+ system is the deal breaker for us though. It's horrendous.

Dan
POP, September 2011, 9 days Very Fun, Hot!
POP, September 2010, 8 days Magical!!!
DisneyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #42
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

Thumbs up all the way. I tested last August and things were great. I like being able to whip my family into doing whatever I want using the old we have Fastpasses excuse. I'm not joking, I'm a major planner and I find it fun. I like the tiered attractions. I'm not sure why. I think it will cut down on crowds if you make people choose. I also don't like Soarin' or TSM. Works out for me. I think in a few years all these no sayers will be singing a different tune.

Katie
Old 12-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #43
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSean View Post
Thumbs up with a qualifier - they keep the existing paper FP or give more than three choices wo tiering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBuckner View Post
Thumbs up "as is" with a qualifier.

Currently you can still pull FP- in addition to FP+, and if you have room only key cards you can triple dip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefh View Post
I said thumbs up, but again, only if the paper tickets stay. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfd View Post
If you mean with the ability to double-dip FP- and use the MDE trick to pull more than 3 FP+ over multiple parks, then thumbs up. Otherwise, thumbs down.

Based upon another thread (where some non-Pop Century guests are reporting today that their current KTW cards aren't working in the FP-machines), it sounds like this poll will soon be obsolete, and we'll need a new Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down poll for "As-Is including no access to FP-."

Historical Orlando weather data here: http://www.leaveittogenie.com/weather.html
g-dad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #44
Sammie
DIS Veteran

I am all for it, I also think ever greater enhancements will be coming.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #45
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-dad66 View Post
Based upon another thread (where some non-Pop Century guests are reporting today that their current KTW cards aren't working in the FP-machines), it sounds like this poll will soon be obsolete, and we'll need a new Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down poll for "As-Is including no access to FP-."

If you read that entire thread you will see that others have been able to use current KTTW cards and AP cards, just no OLD ones.

But seriously who did that, who brought back old cards and tried to work a system.

Obviously enough to make them have to change it.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: