Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #76
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

I am kinda giggling over your agitated state because only a true fellow Type A personality person who is a Dis geek as well would get it. And I totally do & spend lots of (unwilling) time in this state too when things are NOT GOING AS PLANNED!!!! I really did try hard to curb mine this trip and just 'let it go' because I end up pissed off pretty fast over stupid stuff. I did good for me.. I am proud of myself.

I love muppets too- for the nostolgia factor & becasue those two old guys crack me up.

I liked new Star Wars ride. We didn't get to Indy show this time... and I also despise Playhouse Disney. I won't even let my kids do it- that's how much I hate it! Thankfully my two older ones didn't care this trip and Charlie was oblivious to what it was.... definite score for me!

Hollywood Tower of Terror. My fave ride at all of WDW. Wish it wasn't at HS since I don't care much for that park either!

Good update. Stop now though. Till I can catch up. Ha!
Old 02-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #77
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
I am kinda giggling over your agitated state because only a true fellow Type A personality person who is a Dis geek as well would get it. And I totally do & spend lots of (unwilling) time in this state too when things are NOT GOING AS PLANNED!!!! I really did try hard to curb mine this trip and just 'let it go' because I end up pissed off pretty fast over stupid stuff. I did good for me.. I am proud of myself.

I love muppets too- for the nostolgia factor & becasue those two old guys crack me up.

I liked new Star Wars ride. We didn't get to Indy show this time... and I also despise Playhouse Disney. I won't even let my kids do it- that's how much I hate it! Thankfully my two older ones didn't care this trip and Charlie was oblivious to what it was.... definite score for me!

Hollywood Tower of Terror. My fave ride at all of WDW. Wish it wasn't at HS since I don't care much for that park either!

Good update. Stop now though. Till I can catch up. Ha!
Oh no, I'm not letting you get ahead! You have a whole extra week coming up to pass me by! I'm looking forward to reading our overlapping sections with

A Snake birthday party. Holy moly, DW would veto that in 5 seconds flat! I wonder if Sarah and DD will room-mate in college when they go to zookeeper school.

I really mostly try and "go with the flow" (I especially did this when our families got together at MK.) I am a big-time rope drop person and I get very stressed over it in the morning. As the day goes on, I care less about timing and schedules and relax. Then the next morning it starts all over again.

And the whole Toy Story Mania thing makes this my most stressed about rope drop. DW is in agreement, but doesn't get as stressed. It's why the rest of the trip we were down for the bus at 8 AM. We didn't miss any other rope drops after that!

Tower of Terror is my #2 ride, with Splash Mountain still #1. ToT would win, except it is much too short, and length weighs heavily on my grading system, making all the more impressive that ToT holds onto #2. (In case you were curious: #3 Expedition Everest, #4 Haunted Mansion, #5 Soarin' - unless you let me include Disneyland - then Radiator Springs Racers is #1 and DLs Space Mountain slots in at #5.)

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #78
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I would have been agitated with waiting for the bus as well; especially when so many other buses had come and gone for the other parks.

Still....sounds like you got a good number of rides in.

DS never cared much for 3D Muppets nor Disney Jr characters; so that part of the park was always a miss for us.

And I will share that my MB experience was a 9 out of 10. The only hiccup we had was with the MNSSHP ticket; but you can wait to find all that out as it unfolds over the next few months.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #79
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

So let's see- my #1 would be ToT, #2 (very close 2nd) is Everest, #3 is Soarin' (although I would like to see a digital upgrade), #4 is Splash (it ranks ONLY as #4 because of the drop at the end- I don't like getting wet but LOVE the story in the ride) & #5 is Pirates. Oldy but goody.

If I could throw in Disneyland, I would put Haunted Mansion in place of Everest (#2) but with the Halloween overlay which was AMAZING.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #80
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

So.. .um.. yhea.. I just pulled ahead.

Get with it!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #81
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Get with it!
Grrrrrr!

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
Old 02-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #82
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I would have been agitated with waiting for the bus as well; especially when so many other buses had come and gone for the other parks.

Still....sounds like you got a good number of rides in.

DS never cared much for 3D Muppets nor Disney Jr characters; so that part of the park was always a miss for us.

And I will share that my MB experience was a 9 out of 10. The only hiccup we had was with the MNSSHP ticket; but you can wait to find all that out as it unfolds over the next few months.
Glad it went well for you, as I said, I could foresee it being an overall positive experience. Just ours wasn't.

Quote:
So let's see- my #1 would be ToT, #2 (very close 2nd) is Everest, #3 is Soarin' (although I would like to see a digital upgrade), #4 is Splash (it ranks ONLY as #4 because of the drop at the end- I don't like getting wet but LOVE the story in the ride) & #5 is Pirates. Oldy but goody.

If I could throw in Disneyland, I would put Haunted Mansion in place of Everest (#2) but with the Halloween overlay which was AMAZING.
Just so you know, Soarin' is probably getting a digital update soon. They are doing it in DL this spring. They just have to decide when to take it down at WDW long enough to do the same.

Quote:

Get with it!
See below - it's a TIE ballgame again!

Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #83
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 5 - Lunch and Characterpalooza!

Itís been such a busy morning, I STILL was running around in the cool weather in shorts and a T-shirt. But before I could get it, we had our lunch ADR at the Sci-Fi. This is STILL one of my favorite restaurants to eat at in WDW. While the ďcarĒ configuration is not the most convenient, the experience canít be beat. I wish the movie loop was a little longer so you didnít get repeat scenes during your meal, but watching those old cheesy sci-fi trailers are simply awesome. (Iíve also seen a lot of the movies, as many were covered on Mystery Science Theater 3000 during the ninties.)

Itís been probably 3 years since weíve eaten here and I have to say the food was sort of on the so-so side. DD again had a kids meal, which was made up of Penne Pasta with a side of fries. OK for kidís food I guess:

DW had a turkey club sandwhich with a side of cucumber salad. She said the sandwich was good.

I first had for my drink the scrumptious Oreo Cookie Milkshake. Still delicious as ever, but the portion size has been cut in half. For my meal I usually go with the Reuben, but instead chose the Picnic Burger Ė which is health-nuts dream: A hamburger topped with a hot dog.

Unfortunately I donít think this was as good as it sounds (or does it even sound good) the hot dog was small and very bland. The hamburger was OK, but also nothing special. Overall, and OK meal, but probably my first time here where I didnít go away thinking how good it was.

I needed to get my sweater by this point, and so DW and DD headed over to the Art Of Animation studios to take the drawing class. I told them I would try and join them, but to go ahead without me if they needed to. Well,I donít know if it was the cold weather or what but there was a massive line when I got there, and they were still waiting to get in. We ended up sitting right in the front without a desk (which stunk) and then the character they decided to draw Ė GOOFY! Ė Yup same as yesterday. I donít have pictures at the moment, but I have to say I did better drawing Goofy the second time.

Next up, we had our FP+ scheduled for between 2:30 pm AND 3:30 pm for Toy Story Mania, so we rode that again. I got almost the same score, but I think DW won the match. (I always beat DD.)

We now were heading over to Streets of America to try and catch Characterpalooza. It used to be that this event occurred inside the Art of Animation, but my guess is it got well known enough that it was getting too busy, so they moved it. We waited for about 10 minutes, where DD got a hot pretzel. There were a few other people milling around, you could tell they were waiting for the same thing. Suddenly, from the end of San Francisco street the characters arrived.

Green Army Man:

Chip and Dale:

Meeko and Pocahantas:

Jasmine Ė well prepared for the cold weather:

Tigger

Minnie Mouse

The Evil Queen

Pinocchio

Mary Poppinís Penguin

Stich

So, I count 12 characters all at once, and some you canít see anywhere else. Now thatís Disney Magic!

Old 02-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #84
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 5 - Back lot Tour and Osborne Lights

At this point, we wanted to hit the Backlot Tour. DD had never done it, and DW hadnít since the early days of DHS (maybe 1999), and since it was rumored that it could be shutting down soon for Star Wars/ Cars / some other land, we decided we should check it out.

The backlot tour is sort of a shell of its former south. It could also easily be called the Junkyard tour. It starts out with a demonstration of effects, which it was so cold out, they didnít even ASK for volunteers to get wet in the Pearl Harbor scene. We got out of there first, and managed to jump on the back of a tram that was just about to leave.

Hereís some of the crap Ė Oops sorry, ďMovie MemoribiliaĒ that they kept out back.

The only semi-neat thing about the tour (besides catastophy canyon Ė which even wasnít that great due to the fear of getting wet on such a cold day), was that LMA Stunt Show was actually running at the same time, so as we were toodling along in our trams we could see the drivers hanging out backstage.

The mutilation of Walt Disneyís plane with ďPlanesĒ eyeballs:

It was now close to 5 PM, and we wanted to be back in the area before 6 PM for the Osborne Lights. I suggested Great Movie Ride, but DD was being obstinant and didnít want to do anything else, so we sat in Pizza Planet (what a frigginí dump that place is) to wait for it to be late enough. Eventually, we went back outside and the sun was starting to set.

DD complained about being cold, but fortunately, Mulch, Sweat, and Shears were playing, and we went over and listened to them, which made the time pass well:

We LOVE the Osborne Lights, and I was more than determined this time that we would see them switched on. We were in prime location, and it is amazing when they turn them on they just all come ON. I canít imagine the experience of seeing that for the first time!

DD at the Singiní In The Rain Umbrella. Good thing it was turned off.

DD was ready to go, but we needed to do two things before we left. One, we wanted to get a picture for our Christmas card that we couldnít get at the Christmas Party. It took us a while to find a Photopass guy, and then the angle he was at not to mention the way he framed the shot was pretty awful. These were our two choices.

I was able to crop one of them and make an acceptable picture. In addition, we HAD to track down and take a picture of the legendary Purple Cat. This is a decoration that the CMs hide each year in a different location. This year, it wasnít too hard to spot, though it was hidden up in a tree.

WE had one more FP+ to use, and that was for Star Tours. There was a little bit of a line that we got to skip in front of, but we probably didnít need it. (I forgot to mention that earlier I was wearing my ďSki HothĒ T-shirt (I wish I had a picture) and got a lot of comments from the CMs, this time it was covered up because it was probably now down around 50 F.

By the time we were done with this, DD was whining heavily, and we decided that it was time to head back to the hotel, as we didnít really want it to be a late night. As I said before, whereas we had bad morning bus karma, we had GREAT evening bus karma, and the bus pulled up about 2 minutes after we got to the bus stop. We were back at the room shortly after 7 PM. (DW actually stayed behind to look for something in the shops, so she came one bus later. This was also the point at which I found out the Buffalo Sabres had FINALLY fired Darcy Regier, their General Manager Ė this is only interesting to Buffalonian Hockey fans Ė but I wanted to jump up and down and celebrate while riding the bus back.

For dinner, we got food from the food court. The food was actually very good. The was a Beef Brisket I think.

And I had the Carribean pork with rice and beans and vegetable and corn bread. All good stuff! Actually, better quality than our lunch.

The Good
Osborne Lights!
No lines to speak of today (except below)
Single Rider for Rock n Roller Coaster ROCKS!

The Bad
The morning bus situation screwing up rope drop.
30 minute wait in the morning for TSMM (because of the buses)

The Ugly
COLD! Not that I want to complain, but we donít come to Florida in November for COLD!

FP vs FP+
Well, FP+ is the hands down winner here. Pre-booking TSMM versus getting an early morning FP for TSM @ 7:40 PM that we never really used. (And I feel like a bad Disney citizen because I never gave the FP away). The other two FP were probably unnecessary, but overall the FP+ wins out.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #85
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Sounds like the afternoon was much calmer than the morning.

I like SciFi Diner for the atmosphere and like you wish that the trailer loop was longer. Shame that the food has gotten so-so. Oh well, it's going to be a long time before I'm back there for a meal.

I've never really understood why Disney has kept the junkyard tour. Still....nice to see Walt's plane.

Love the Osborne Light pictures you've gotten. Such lovely night time colour. And which of the two pictures did you use for the card?

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
Old 02-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #86
STLMickeyMom
DIS Veteran

We weren't overly impressed with the food at sci fi either, but the movie clips were fun. We love MST3K!

Characterpalooza looks fun! You got to meet some great characters.

Oh the lights are always so pretty! I'll have to remember that about the purple cat
Old 02-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #87
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Ugh, DH just loves that picnic burger!!

Great finds at Characterpalooza. I have to say, it's much better now that it's on Streets of America. It seems like they send a lot more characters out than they did when it was inside! The picture of Minnie pointing out DD's polka dot jacket is adorable.

I love love love the Osborne Lights! I still have never been there to see them actually come on at night. But I love wandering around and taking it all in. So beautiful!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 02-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #88
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

That picnic burger is quite the creation!

Looks like a great DHS day overall! DD is looking over my shoulder as I read your TR, and she highly approved of all your meet and greet photos!

My 2013 trip report! Makiní our way, itís an ADVENTURE every day! A Nov (10-16) trip with a 2yr old!

DW DH DD2

DCL-Fantasy, Western Caribbean-May 2014; YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
Old 02-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #89
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

We are equal! I will probably JUST start posting Wednesday sometime later this week. So I won't be too far ahead of you even with your cruise!

I have work deadline next week, Birthdays, Kids activities & I need to get back down to the gym this week. I have not run since the half and I signed up for a Green Beer 5K on St. Paddy's weekend at Soldier Field! I signed up for the beer- of course- NOT the health benefits of running.

We ate at Sci-Fi too for the ambienance (sp?). Love it in there. Even if the food is only so-so.

Nice picture of you guys in front of Osbourne LIghts- I think it turned out nice!

Again- HAVE FUN on your cruise next week! Jealous- I want to get out of this snow/cold!! Find the Mickey on the snorkel trail at Castaway (still have not found it!)
Old 02-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #90
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Sounds like the afternoon was much calmer than the morning.

I like SciFi Diner for the atmosphere and like you wish that the trailer loop was longer. Shame that the food has gotten so-so. Oh well, it's going to be a long time before I'm back there for a meal.

I've never really understood why Disney has kept the junkyard tour. Still....nice to see Walt's plane.

Love the Osborne Light pictures you've gotten. Such lovely night time colour. And which of the two pictures did you use for the card?
I'm not sure which picture I used now, we trimmed out our backpack lying on the sidewalk, though!

Sci-Fi is worth it even for so-so food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLMickeyMom View Post
We weren't overly impressed with the food at sci fi either, but the movie clips were fun. We love MST3K!

Characterpalooza looks fun! You got to meet some great characters.

Oh the lights are always so pretty! I'll have to remember that about the purple cat
Purple cat wasn't so hard to spot this past year. Just stuck up in a tree. They should've had a fire truck nearby trying to get him down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Ugh, DH just loves that picnic burger!!

Great finds at Characterpalooza. I have to say, it's much better now that it's on Streets of America. It seems like they send a lot more characters out than they did when it was inside! The picture of Minnie pointing out DD's polka dot jacket is adorable.

I love love love the Osborne Lights! I still have never been there to see them actually come on at night. But I love wandering around and taking it all in. So beautiful!
The picnic burger is brilliant, but I think in execution it wasn't so good. We have really good hot dogs up here in the north, so I tend to think it was the weak dog that did it in.

I like Characterpalooza outside. I'm not sure all of the characters did. It was chilly!

This was our first time seeing the lights come on. I was surprised that they just *pop* on, I figured they would bring them up a section at a time to make the most drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieODC View Post
That picnic burger is quite the creation!

Looks like a great DHS day overall! DD is looking over my shoulder as I read your TR, and she highly approved of all your meet and greet photos!
Yeah, I have to say outside of the bus problems, it was a really great day. The weather could have been warmer, but we are a cold-weather people so it wasn't that big a deal!

I'm glad your DD liked the pix!

Quote:
We are equal! I will probably JUST start posting Wednesday sometime later this week. So I won't be too far ahead of you even with your cruise!

I have work deadline next week, Birthdays, Kids activities & I need to get back down to the gym this week. I have not run since the half and I signed up for a Green Beer 5K on St. Paddy's weekend at Soldier Field! I signed up for the beer- of course- NOT the health benefits of running.

We ate at Sci-Fi too for the ambienance (sp?). Love it in there. Even if the food is only so-so.

Nice picture of you guys in front of Osbourne LIghts- I think it turned out nice!

Again- HAVE FUN on your cruise next week! Jealous- I want to get out of this snow/cold!! Find the Mickey on the snorkel trail at Castaway (still have not found it!)
Well, I'm going to try and stake a little lead on you...Day 6 is going up in a few minutes. Yup, I'll have a one-day lead. Of course, I'll be gone for a week, so I figure you'll have plenty of time to catch up.

I am ready to get out of the cold. Heard today that Buffalo is the second snowiest city in the country this year with 94" of snow. Doesn't feel like it's been that much, but its definitely been a harsher than usual winter. Just three+ days until warm weather! (I hope.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: