Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Tasmen
Crazy Cat Lady
Not that there is anything wrong with that

The Pink Side of the Force ~ May 2014 ~ Are we there yet? (Updated 3/21)

I figured I'd start a pre-trip report to help me with my raging case of 'are we there yets'. Six months seems like a long time and I am just so eager and impatient and want all the traveling now.

So about us...

Me aka Julie. I work in the tech industry in Seattle and have a love of all things Disney and Star Wars. I've been going to Disney (be it DL or WDW) since I was a little girl.

DH aka Jeremiah aka butthead (my name for him). He was never a huge Disney fan until I took him to DL for the first time after we were married. He loves going nearly as much as I do now. He is also a gigantic Star Wars nerd. (I'm sure you can see where this is going).

DD aka Eliska aka Princess Palpatine. She will be turning 6 just before our trip, loves her princesses and the Super Hero (Her name for Darth Vader. She has called him that since she was 2 because of his cape and we have not bothered to correct her )

Mom aka Momo aka Queen Maybelle. She came with us on our last WDW trip and had a blast. She's coming to dote on the Princess and insist that we have a never ending supply of room snacks. I have never seen someone need cheese crackers in their room quite as much as my mom. Her need for cheezits is only rivaled by her addiction to diet coke.

A few pictures...

Random shot at the Halloween Party at DL in 2012, thus her nickname Princess Palpatine.

DH with the Princess and her Momo at AKL.

She did that thing with her hand on her own. Princess pose!

Family shot with the Super hero. E was so excited to meet him until she saw him. Then she wasn't so sure Didn't stop her from calling him the Super Hero all the same.

DH and myself on the boat on the way from Epcot to HS in 2011.

Our plan!
We have stayed at the Poly our last couple trips but have been itching to stay at the AKL for a very long time. We are finally going to do it! We booked CL so that we could, also, go on the Sunrise Safari. DD loves animals and I feel like this will be a special treat for her.

When better to go than for DD birthday again AND what we hope will be another Star Wars weekend. We had so much fun on our last trip to WDW when it coincided with a Star Wars weekend. We wanted to relive that magic again!

WDW - Poly - 1980
WDW - Poly - 2007 & 2011
Hitting Disneyland since 1988 -- way too many trips to count

PTR - Pink Side of the Force ~ May 2014

Last edited by Tasmen; 03-21-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Tasmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Tasmen
Crazy Cat Lady

ADRS? I got your ADRs right here, buddy...

We arriving on May 20th and staying one night at the Animation resort so that we do not lose a full day at the parks due to the whole west to east coast all day travel event.

5/20
Raglan Road (dinner)

5/21
Coral Reef (lunch)
Spirit of Aloha (dinner)

5/22
Crystal Palace (lunch)
Tony's Town Square (dinner) - we wanted BOG for this night but no luck

5/23
50's Prime Time (lunch)
California Grill (dinner) - adult time only. DD is going to the kid's club at the AKL

5/24
CRT (breakfast)
Boma (dinner)

5/25
Sunrise Safari!!!!!!
Fantasmic Dinner Show w/dinner @ Brown Derby

5/26
Princess Tea for DD & Me (so excited for this)
BOG (dinner) - managed to get BOG for this night instead
Dessert Fireworks show

5/27
Chef Mickey's - breakfast
Liberty Tree Tavern - lunch

I am considering swapping some stuff around and am curious about opinions. We had never gone to Tony's before and wanted to try it. But now, after reading some trip reviews, I'm considering changing that to the Hoop Dee dinner & show instead. We'd need to do the later dining time to make it work with our touring plans. How long does the show usually run?

Also on our last day, I'm thinking of cancelling Chef Mickey's (which I initially typed as Cher Mickey's which I imagine would be a WHOLE other kind of experience ), and making that the Kona Cafe instead. We do love our Kona Cafe.

WDW - Poly - 1980
WDW - Poly - 2007 & 2011

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!
Old 11-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Tasmen
Crazy Cat Lady

How many times will I change my mind about ADRs before our trip time starts in May? A gazzillion!

Already today I have booked BOG for one day instead of another, gone back to the original day and booked Hoop-Dee-Doo. New plans are as follows....

5/22, instead of dinner at Tony's, we are going to go to Hoop-Dee. I also moved our BOG dinner to 45 minutes later than it was originally so that it is at a more appropriate dinner hour.

My new doubts/possible changes revolve around California Grill. We love that restaurant, but I've been very disappointed at some of the reviews I've read of it since the refurb. There are places we have wanted to try and have not in the past in favor of CG. Wondering if I should swap that for Yachtsman Steakhouse instead or just go back to Jiko.

I cannot make up my mind!

WDW - Poly - 1980
WDW - Poly - 2007 & 2011

Old 11-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Tasmen
Crazy Cat Lady

Looking at etsy for princess ideas and ran across the custom made autograph books. They are glorious. Not to attempt to make one myself (if I can get in tune with my inner crafty self) for DD.

And while I wasn't occupying myself looking at etsy, I went and booked a carriage ride for the night we are doing Hoop-Dee!

WDW - Poly - 1980
WDW - Poly - 2007 & 2011

Old 11-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Tasmen
Crazy Cat Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Following along!
Doh! Missed this. Hi!

WDW - Poly - 1980
WDW - Poly - 2007 & 2011

Old 12-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
Tasmen
Crazy Cat Lady

In prep for the trip, I'm going to attempt to sew some outfits for my DD before we arrive. I want to make her a skirt for Hoop-Dee-Doo and possibly a dress or two for dinners. I have sewed before but mostly stuff that didn't have to survive the wear and tear of a 6 year old

Anyone reading have suggestions on good patterns to use for a ruffle/western skirt for a little girl?

WDW - Poly - 1980
WDW - Poly - 2007 & 2011

Old 12-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Tasmen
Crazy Cat Lady

Latest planning update, super excited I was able to customize our magic bands (blue for me, pink for DD and gray for DH). I've also started making my DD a couple dresses to bring along. I found this great princess fabric along with some material she called 'Cinderella blue' and plan to make her a summer dress.

I also found out that you can save 5% on disney gift cards with a TargetRed card. I've since gone and applied for the debit card and have it on the way to my house. That has to be one of the best tips I've found on these boards yet!

WDW - Poly - 1980
WDW - Poly - 2007 & 2011

Old 12-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Hi Julie

I think you have some great plans. We love AKL, it is our favorite. We are also staying CL in March/April 2014 and we have the Sunrise Safari booked and paid for.

I love love the Target gift cards. We did this for our trip June 2013. I download the Disney Gift Card App on my phone and then coincided a number on the gift card and the app to keep track of the cards. I used a sharpie to mark each one. It was fairly simple but was time consuming to do but worth it. We are doing the same for our trip March/April 2014.

Princess Palpatine is adorable and I love that she calls Darth Vader, Super Hero! Too Cute and she is already a princess. Awesome! I miss the princess days with my DD, she is 12 now and not interested like she use to be.

I will follow along with plans, BTW, I am also an ADR changer but I am trying to control myself. I have changed things a few times with our ADRs but I am doing my best to leave them where they are.

Cheers!!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 AKV Kidani June 2016

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Tasmen
Crazy Cat Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAnnie View Post
I think you have some great plans. We love AKL, it is our favorite. We are also staying CL in March/April 2014 and we have the Sunrise Safari booked and paid for.
So excited for this!

Quote:
I love love the Target gift cards. We did this for our trip June 2013. I download the Disney Gift Card App on my phone and then coincided a number on the gift card and the app to keep track of the cards. I used a sharpie to mark each one. It was fairly simple but was time consuming to do but worth it. We are doing the same for our trip March/April 2014.
Oh I didn't know there was a gift card app. I'll have to go check that out now. I plan to buy gift cards between now and the trip whenever I'm in Target. I buy $50 less of stuff I don't need but the Target shopping pheromones tell me I do and get a gift card instead. I can do this!

Quote:
Princess Palpatine is adorable and I love that she calls Darth Vader, Super Hero! Too Cute and she is already a princess. Awesome! I miss the princess days with my DD, she is 12 now and not interested like she use to be.
I know the princess days will be over before I know it. I'm having fun with it while she's at this age.

Quote:
I will follow along with plans, BTW, I am also an ADR changer but I am trying to control myself. I have changed things a few times with our ADRs but I am doing my best to leave them where they are.
Every day I resist changing my plans I do keep second guessing California Grill though. I'm really disappointed with some of the reviews I've been reading since the refurb. I just can't decide if I want to keep that or change it to something like Jiko, Citricos or the Yachtsman instead.

Also welcome! Hope I don't get too babblely along the way!

WDW - Poly - 1980
WDW - Poly - 2007 & 2011

Old 12-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
Tasmen
Crazy Cat Lady

Having one of those days where I am trying not to freak about about FP+ and our ability to ride all the things we want to ride while at WDW. I keep reminding myself that we will be THERE and that should be enough.

In the past, we've been the type of person to stock up on FPs throughout the day so that we could ride our favorite rides numerous times. The idea of adjusting our touring is starting to sink in and ugh...

#disneyworldproblems

WDW - Poly - 1980
WDW - Poly - 2007 & 2011

Old 12-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
MeeskaMomma
DIS Veteran

Joining in

We will be there in early May! So excited. Love that your daughter calls him "super hero!" How did he react when she said that?

I understand what you mean about fastpass+ I am pretty nervous.
MeeskaMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #13
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmen View Post
Having one of those days where I am trying not to freak about about FP+ and our ability to ride all the things we want to ride while at WDW. I keep reminding myself that we will be THERE and that should be enough. In the past, we've been the type of person to stock up on FPs throughout the day so that we could ride our favorite rides numerous times. The idea of adjusting our touring is starting to sink in and ugh... #disneyworldproblems
Hopefully by the time it gets around to your booking of FP+ things will change a bit. That is what I am hoping for but my booking window is Jan 27 so I really don't see that. We are going to hit the parks early and make FP+ for the afternoon and evening. We are hoping to get more rides in this way. We will see. We generally take it easy at Disney but we do get up early on several mornings.

I think it will work out for you.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013

Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
Tasmen
Crazy Cat Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAnnie View Post
Hopefully by the time it gets around to your booking of FP+ things will change a bit. That is what I am hoping for but my booking window is Jan 27 so I really don't see that. We are going to hit the parks early and make FP+ for the afternoon and evening. We are hoping to get more rides in this way. We will see. We generally take it easy at Disney but we do get up early on several mornings.

I think it will work out for you.
It probably will I'm just worrying because with everything planned at this point, all I have is the worry juice left! I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time no matter what.

Change is scary, ok???

WDW - Poly - 1980
WDW - Poly - 2007 & 2011

Old 01-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #15
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmen View Post
It probably will I'm just worrying because with everything planned at this point, all I have is the worry juice left! I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time no matter what. Change is scary, ok???

I understand and agree change is difficult. Worry Juice, love that! I will have to use it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: