Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
cinderella'smommy
Mouseketeer

Swan and Dolphin FP+ Kiosks

Hello! Just looking for some feedback from anyone who has used (or is using) the kiosks for setting up FP+ for Swan and Dolphin guests. How is that working out??
April 2012 at the Dolphin
January 2013 at the Swan

FIVE trips in four years!

cinderella'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Used one a week or so ago.. Stayed at the Dolphin, and went to Epcot. Entered at the IG, mid-afternoon, with friends. There was a table set up, just past the turnstiles, with two CMs with iPads. They did the same thing I did at home when I made my FP+ choices for my Dec trip (at SSR). My friends had no issue getting theirs but it was a bit tough for me to get mine to match theirs....to some extent. The system is a bit convoluted and the CMs didn't seem to really know what they were doing when a time change was needed. I'm sure that as times goes by the CMs will have more experience and be better equipped to deal with issues.
I was able to get three FP+s....with times that overlapped my friends', so we were able to do stuff together.
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
Suvadoo
Earning My Ears

Hi Goofy. You said you obtained 3 fp+'s. Can you please name the attractions?

Thanks
Suvadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvadoo View Post
Hi Goofy. You said you obtained 3 fp+'s. Can you please name the attractions?

Thanks
Ummm, maelstrom, spaceship earth, and IllumiNations. Not headliners to be sure. But we had done those earlier, so didn't even try for those. It was mostly just to see how the system worked for S/D guests.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
cinderella'smommy
Mouseketeer

Bumping

Hi--Just bumping this up to see how things went over Thanksgiving. Just wondering about availability of same day FP+ once you get to the parks; and whether there were long lines at the kiosks. We are tentatively scheduling our next trip during a busy time, and really wondering how this will play out.

We generally hit the parks at rope drop; and I sort of don't want to mess with standing at a kiosk setting up fastpasses when we should be headed over to a headliner; but also don't want to miss out on an opportunity to get some FP+ times scheduled.

So, if anyone has any insight as to how this worked over the busy week of Thanksgiving, I would appreciate it!
January 2013 at the Swan

Old 12-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
ckelly14
Lurker

Subbing to this thread. Trying to decide between the Dolphin and on-site for our next trip in June, although I assume that things will look much different in June than it does now. Seems to me the Swolphin FP+ is some goofy middle ground between the haves and have nots: A few CM's around the table with Ipads instead of the regular kiosks, same-day only, not linked to MDE, etc. I've been monitoring these threads since it started and I've been surprised how few guests have commented on it.
ckelly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Parrotheader
Mouseketeer

We were at the Swan 11/21 - 11/29. It got notably more crowded the monday of Thanksgiving week, but I still didn't feel I had too many issues. Occasionally there may be 1 person ahead of me and I'd have to wait about 5 minutes (especially if it was their first time and they didn't know how it worked.) By the third day we were pros.

My only problem was because I booked our accommodations directly through the Swan instead of through Disney I couldn't get the full functionality of the Disney Experience app and FastPass+. Our FastPasses would show up in the app as soon as they entered them, but I couldn't edit them from my end if we skipped one, etc - I had to find one of the kiosks (usually 4 locations per park) and get them to adjust it.

Since we got there within 30 minutes of park openings most days I didn't feel lacking and could generally get most of the main things we wanted early. At some point though FP+ is clearly going to be redundant with everyone booking the same things the night before and thus defeating the purpose. I could already get a sense for that with things like Test Track, Thunder Mtn, etc.
Parrotheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
ckelly14
Lurker

Thanks Parrothead. Could you book more than one day or park at a time, or could you just book the park you were in that day? How was the availability?

I also don't quite understand what you mean by this being redundant. You mean, in addition to regular fast pass? If you only had this method with picking rides in the parks (i.e. FP- was eliminated) would you be satisfied?

Honestly, if this is the way it's going to look for offsite guest FP+ access, it will be overwhelming...
Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
Parrotheader
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly14 View Post
Thanks Parrothead. Could you book more than one day or park at a time, or could you just book the park you were in that day? How was the availability?

I also don't quite understand what you mean by this being redundant. You mean, in addition to regular fast pass? If you only had this method with picking rides in the parks (i.e. FP- was eliminated) would you be satisfied?

Honestly, if this is the way it's going to look for offsite guest FP+ access, it will be overwhelming...
Just one day/park at a time. No regular FP in addition. At some parks you'd have to 'pick 1 from this column, 2 from this column' - Epcot and Hollywood Studios I think.

What I meant by redundant is everyone with FP+ would all pick the same 'big' rides early-ish (but not necessarily first thing as savvy/non-rookies know lines are lighter in the morning as a whole.) So the FP lines at certain points in the day (usually late-morning/lunch-time) would often be ridiculously long. Then walk by early/mid-afternoon and there was nobody in FP line because the FP+ surge had already washed through.

I was fine with having just FP+ - so long as I could get 3. If they end up doing the Premium=3, Moderate=2, Value=1 thing then that could be frustrating (although if the latter groups could augment with regular FP then maybe not as big a deal.)

The big change I'd like to see (other than full functionality for Swan/Dolphin) would be option to allow multiple parks per day as it compliments the whole idea of Park Hopper. It would also encourage spreading the FP+ surge around a bit more to counter the issue I mention above.

Last edited by Parrotheader; 12-02-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
cinderella'smommy
Mouseketeer

Thanks, Parrotheader! Good information. I had not heard your observation on mid-day FP return lines being heavy; that's good to know!

January 2013 at the Swan

Old 12-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
robinb
DIS Veteran

Do they issue you a MB? We're at the Dolphin over NYE.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
Parrotheader
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Do they issue you a MB? We're at the Dolphin over NYE.
I didn't get one nor really need/want one. Not sure if that's person-by-person though. We weren't on meal plan which is where you'd probably get the most use out of it. Can't recall if some of the other Swan/Dolphin guests had them.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotheader View Post
I didn't get one nor really need/want one. Not sure if that's person-by-person though. We weren't on meal plan which is where you'd probably get the most use out of it. Can't recall if some of the other Swan/Dolphin guests had them.
So did you use your Swolphin keycard?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
ckelly14
Lurker

I believe guests were issues RFID cards but I'll let Parrotheader confirm if he's still around...
Old 12-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #15
Parrotheader
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
So did you use your Swolphin keycard?
In the parks we just used our tickets to verify FP the same way the magic bands did (i.e., wave them in front of the sensor.) With little kids that's one area where the magic bands are a bit nice as I'd collect the cards once we were through the FP checkpoints rather than risk my daughters losing them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: