Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
Spacepest
Mouseketeer

Has anyone tried to just go to the bar during their visit?

I want to visit this place and am trying to shoehorn it into my schedule...I'm not sure if I want to spend hours at a restaurant with slow service. Has anyone just ordered drinks and snacks at the bar? I won't have any children tagging along on this visit, so a bar visit sounds better.
Spacepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

We've gone a few times, the food I think is better than the Rainforest. The portions are quite big, and everything we've had has been tasty!

Rotisserie Chicken Pot pie could easily feed 2 people but I don't think it's on the current menu. The queso dip and chips was quite good, even had to request additional chips. The tomato soup I loved, my son however always gets the French onion. We've had the ribs, tender, the mahi-mahi tacos, our friends enjoyed the salmon and NY strip. I look forward to the frozen mojito they make, refreshing!

It is a bit loud but it's fun and different, definitely worth a try. Price wise, well we don't expect nor get bargains at Disney, and this I think is inline with other restaurants in DTD!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #18
jenrose66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylyn_b View Post
We will not be going back. It's loud but I don't mean the meteor shower I mean the people. So loud you couldn't hear the shower. We had a horrible server and the food was awful. Ice cold and tasted dirty. We couldn't get anyone to correct the issues. It's a shame as we do enjoy rfc on occasion but this was horrible. It should not take over an hour for a kids pizza to come out. Ever.
We shared your experience. Totally not worth it. Lunch took over 2 hours and we still didn't have dessert. We ended up leaving a tip and walking out!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #19
BuffaloJim
Mouseketeer

Did any of the previous posters mention that it's loud?

It is. It's also a fun restaurant - my boys, 8 and 11 at the time, really enjoyed it.
BuffaloJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #20
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepest View Post
Has anyone tried to just go to the bar during their visit?

I want to visit this place and am trying to shoehorn it into my schedule...I'm not sure if I want to spend hours at a restaurant with slow service. Has anyone just ordered drinks and snacks at the bar? I won't have any children tagging along on this visit, so a bar visit sounds better.
Yes, no problem.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #21
ilm2000
ilm2000

We have a TRex close to where we live but lost our Rainforest when we got it. We like to share the nachos then split a sandwich and still have food left over. The nachos are really good and huge. My DD loves to get the lasagna with ceasar salad. It has been yummy too. The atmosphere is fun. But some rooms are better than others.
ilm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #22
herb102211
DIS Veteran

We thought T-Rex was fun! It is a very family-friendly restaurant. I would definitely eat there again over Rainforest Cafe. We thought the food was good at T-Rex and we had a great server.

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club 11/14- AoA
Me (28) DH (29)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #23
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Ate here last August and were pleasantly surprised. My DS11 wanted to see it, so we booked a lunch on our last day. We have Rainforest near us, so don't bother with that at Disney (am not impressed even here!). I was expecting this to be the same. But I thought overall the food was actually better than Rainforest. I was expecting typical chain restaurant fare and thought this was just a bit better. Not gourmet by any means, but very enjoyable.

Yes, it's loud. But you expect that at a restaurant with animatronic dinosaurs, don't you??? The service we had was really the best of our whole week--waiter was very attentive, great interaction with the kids, very knowledgeable about menu, etc.

If you're looking for something new, definitely give it a try. And you know them best, but some kids may be overwhelmed by the noise/lights. If you think yours would be okay, go and have fun!

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #24
disneyfantotheend
DIS Veteran

We enjoy it. Never had slow service. Think the food is pretty good quality. Not 5 star restaurant fancy quality, but good. It is not exactly a place where you have to worry about the kids not behaving, because chances are no one would even notice with all the noise. LOL The worst part is seeing the menus in the very dim lighting especially during meteor showers.

Had to laugh when someone described their food as tasting dirty. Just because I never heard anyone describe a taste that way. Not that I am saying it didn't.
disneyfantotheend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #25
River Country
DIS Jedi

Wanted to try it once, I did, and i wont be going back. I thought $100 for 2 adults and 1 child was alot, no alcoholic drinks were ordered either. Its loud and to be honest, i didnt think the food was that great either. We love Rain Forest Cafe, but TRex was not on par IMHO. I ordered the chicken fried steak and it wasnt even close. DW and DD ordered the ribs and they were OK at best, i thought they were dry.
River Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #26
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMagical View Post
We are fairly experienced Disney vacationers. This time around (in late February) we are looking to try out some new eateries.

For anyone who has been to T-Rex, what did you like, what didn't you like? If you didn't like it, what would you recommend instead?

We do have little ones (2 and 5) but they eat out frequently so they have good restaurant manners and can handle a fairly nice restaurant.
We thought it was a lot of fun and really enjoyed the food too. my only complaint ( and this does NOT apply to you, so no worries ) is that if you're a very large group, you have to jump through hoops with them. You need to talk to group services and sign a contract to make an advance booking. Which is odd because with Rainforest Cafe, run by the same company, we never had to do that.

xipetotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #27
brekken1
Mouseketeer

At at T-Rex with DH and two little ones, 4 & 1. My son loves dinosaurs, so it was a hit with him. We found food to be tasty, but the meal did take a while due to slow service. Waitress was nice, but food was slow to come out and even longer to get check. The restaurant is loud, but not overly so. I don't think we would have enjoyed eating in the ice cave. We enjoyed it overall, but will probably try a different restaurant next time.
brekken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #28
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

I don't imagine that we'll be back. Food was pricey, which would have been OK if it was unique or even good, but it was a mediocre interpretation of standard Applebee's/Ruby Tuesday's/TGIFriday's fare. The lighting they use in the cave area also makes your food look pretty unappetizing.

Atmosphere is really what you're going for, and it is pretty cool from that standpoint, but the "wow factor" only lasts for so long and doesn't really offset the negatives enough to be a place that I'd recommend.

They do have a bar and a gift shop, so you can go in and get a drink or look around without having to actually dine there.

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015) - DLR (July 2014)
DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #29
Px4
DIS Veteran

My daughter had begged to eat here for the last 3 years and we kept putting it off. Well, we finally went in Jan and actually really enjoyed it and said we would go back. DH had fish and chips, which were bigger and better then Yorkshire, which seems to have gotten greasier and shrunk the last few years. I had the chicken fried steak. It was so big it could have fed all 4 of us. I would put it more as a moms southern kitchen quality, a little better then say Cracker Barrell. DD1 had the steak and loved it. And DD2 had chicken and ribs and said they were as good, maybe even the best she had on property.

Yes, it was very loud! Very!!! We were in the meteor room, right next to the ice age. We actually liked sitting there with the little Mammoth beside us. Service was quick and efficient. Actually, we has the best service of our trip there this past trip. Which surprised us.

Past Trips: May 2014 - Grand Floridian ~ April 2014 - All Star Sports ~ Jan 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside ~ Dec 2013 - Dolphin ~ April 2013 - Pop Century ~ July 2012 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Contemporary ~ Nov 2010 - Polynesian ~ Aug 2009 - Wilderness Lodge ~ 98-08 - Shades of Green ~ 80-97 - Contemporary, Polynesian, Daytona TimeShare and 1 trip to All-Star Sports!
Px4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #30
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

My youngest can't wait to eat here. She loves dinosaurs.

medhdd8ds16 dd19

http://www.pinterest.com/tcherjen/
tcherjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: