Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
mom4fun
Mouseketeer

a change I wish I could make

Why doesn’t main stream schools see the value in travel? Much of the financial issues with travel is wrapped around the need for us to be a Slave to the school calendar. I think every child should be allowed and encouraged to travel in some educational way 1-2 weeks, during a time period of the family's choice. There is so much to be learned outside of the classroom and I think it is so unfortunate that so many can only travel during school breaks because of this attitude of the school systems. This has caused a supply and demand issue that makes travel out of reach during those time periods. Many of the recent discussions on these boards come down to this issue. Who do you email on this one?
Old 11-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Metsoskil
Citi Field, Rehoboth Beach, and WDW are my 3 favorite places.

United States Secretary of Education Arne Duncan Twitter Account: @ArneDuncan

Or, you could send snail mail.

The Department's U.S. Postal Service mailing address is:

U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202

WDW: Jul '91, May '93, Dec '99, Aug '07, Aug '08, Aug '09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Aug '10, Mar '11, Aug '11, Dec '11, Aug '13, Nov/Dec '13
Disneyland Paris: Aug '12
DCL: Jul '12 Magic NYC Weekend Getaway, Dec '13 Dream 3-night Bahamas
Upcoming Trips: WDW Jul '14, DCL Alaska - Wonder Aug '15
Metsoskil is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4fun View Post
I think every child should be allowed and encouraged to travel in some educational way 1-2 weeks, during a time period of the family's choice. There is so much to be learned outside of the classroom and I think it is so unfortunate that so many can only travel during school breaks because of this attitude of the school systems.

So true!

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Just not sure a cruise is really all that educational. That's not stopping me from taking my kids out once a year to vacation, I'm just not going to call a Disney cruise to the Caribbean "educational"!

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
DeniseMarie526
Whenever you pack your bags, never forget the pixie dust!

I think you can make any trip educational. My son will be doing a report on cruise ships in general. Not necessarily about the entertainment value but of the logistics of it. He will also try to interview a few cast members about life on board.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

You can certainly try!

At least our schools allow us to take the kids out with advanced notice. We sign a contract and still have homework to do.

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Depends on yhe school I guess. I just took my kids out of school for a week and some of my son's teachers remarked on what a great educational opportunity it was for him.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

No disrespect, but I have never understood why it is necessary to take kids out of school for a vacation. The public schools here are out 14 full weeks, surely there is one week you can find in those 14 that will work. If it is worth it to their education, it is worth the effort to save the money for the extra cost by not going during a non-peak week.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
sbtrfly74
DIS Veteran

Im taking DD10 out of school for 1 week before Xmas and though I was beyond worried about it since I booked the trip almost 2 yrs ago. Our teacher at orientation was more than OK with vacations during the school year as long as they made up their work with in three days.

Im still going to ask her for work ahead of time (since the reason they dont give work is no one does it anyways) b/c DD will be out a week for the cruise and then another week for Xmas Vacation and I will hope her teachers will give me some work to do ahead of time.

Now as far as DD17 in college classes, it was almost impossible to schedule her classes around their schedule and the cruise but I managed. She will end classes on the 11th and we leave on the 13th.
sbtrfly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
sunshineNJ
DIS Veteran

I completely agree with you. I did take my kids out of school but they are in college now and I know the public schools have really cracked down on it. I
sunshineNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
luvmy2kids
Mouseketeer

tvguy

My husband is in the travel industry and his vacation is purely seniority based. He has been with his company 6 years now and has never been able to get a summer week off. Before this company he was with a similar company for 10 years and again was never able to get a summer week off. Unfortunately, some may not be able to get a week off from their job

Just giving an example as to why some may have to go during school.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4fun View Post
Why doesn’t main stream schools see the value in travel? Much of the financial issues with travel is wrapped around the need for us to be a Slave to the school calendar. I think every child should be allowed and encouraged to travel in some educational way 1-2 weeks, during a time period of the family's choice. There is so much to be learned outside of the classroom and I think it is so unfortunate that so many can only travel during school breaks because of this attitude of the school systems. This has caused a supply and demand issue that makes travel out of reach during those time periods. Many of the recent discussions on these boards come down to this issue. Who do you email on this one?
Start with your local school board and proceed to the state level.

Contrary to popular belief, the Federal government (department of education) has almost no say on these issues - they are handled almost entirely at the state and local level.

Talk to members of your local school board. Talk to your state legislators.
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Pinkgurlshubby
Has not been blessed by the TF <-really? Huh, looks like you have to me! *~*SPF*~*
Think of a happy place, think of a happy place

We've taken our kids out of school on an average of 1 week every second year and school has never complained but instead asked us to sign an absent form ahead of time. Usually they give small assignments such as a diary to fill and some math. And on that note, we'll be on the Dream next week

May 2012 WDW All Star Movies
December 1-5 2013 Dream - Holidays with Mickey
2014 WDW TBD
Pinkgurlshubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
Lauriejl2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
No disrespect, but I have never understood why it is necessary to take kids out of school for a vacation. The public schools here are out 14 full weeks, surely there is one week you can find in those 14 that will work. If it is worth it to their education, it is worth the effort to save the money for the extra cost by not going during a non-peak week.
Ill give u just one example of why its necessary for some people to take kids out of school to vacation ..... Seniority! I have very little seniority where I work so I end up getting a "summer vacation" in may or september or October . So its take my kids out of school to vacation or not take vacations . For a long time I would not pull them out and we just did not take vacations . Then I got skin cancer and got a wake up call of how short life can be and 1 week together making memories is worth it to me to pull them out for vacations
Old 11-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Trying to say a family vacation has the same educational value as spending 6+ hours a day in a classroom with a professional educator is at best self delusion. Depending on the grade level and what proficiency testing the child is expected to pass that year you could be hurting them.

Depending on the age, if a person is honestly diligent in keeping the child up to speed on their classroom work while also providing "educational" instruction related to the vacation then why go anyway? At least one adult and the child will be spending several hours a day on "vacation" doing school work.

The truth is it's about money not education for 99% of the people that want to take their kids out of the classroom for vacation. This is part of the cost of having children. Most people adjust by going on less expensive vacations or saving longer for when they can go on a vacation where they can take a break from everyday life including school work.
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: