Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
somd mama
Earning My Ears

Seeking resort

Hello,

Last January my family with 5 and 2 year old stayed at grand floridian in sugar loaf. It was a little disappointing because there was construction everywhere! The rate we paid was way too much for entire sections of the resort being under heavy construction. The quiet pool was closed and only a portion of the main pool was functional. I felt sad because i had promised water slides and pools to hubby and kids.
I had called a cast member before booking and she was less than honest. She stated that the construction would be minimal for the dates of our stay and that the pools would be open.

We are going back to wdw in mid february. I would like to stay at a deluxe close to magic kingdom with nice pools and no construction. Obviuously poly would be a bad choice. Any suggestions? I am open to gf if the construction is done.
somd mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

If it were me, I'd go with either Yacht or Beach club or the Boardwalk..... Bummer about construction at the GF, I don't blame you for not being happy about paying the rate for that mess.

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
June 2014 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3293489
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by somd mama View Post
Hello,

Last January my family with 5 and 2 year old stayed at grand floridian in sugar loaf. It was a little disappointing because there was construction everywhere! The rate we paid was way too much for entire sections of the resort being under heavy construction. The quiet pool was closed and only a portion of the main pool was functional. I felt sad because i had promised water slides and pools to hubby and kids.
I had called a cast member before booking and she was less than honest. She stated that the construction would be minimal for the dates of our stay and that the pools would be open.

We are going back to wdw in mid february. I would like to stay at a deluxe close to magic kingdom with nice pools and no construction. Obviuously poly would be a bad choice. Any suggestions? I am open to gf if the construction is done.
I'm sorry your GF stay was less than magical with the construction and closure of the quiet pool. The GF villas are now open, so there shouldn't be anything as far as construction going on in February if you choose to go back to the GF. With that said, the WL would be a great alternative. It's not on the monorail, but the resort is beautiful, the pool is great, Roaring Forks is great for quick CS meals, and the boat is great for going back and forth to MK. It's also convenient to take the boat to the CR, where you can hop on the monorail and visit the Poly and GF. The rooms are quite a bit smaller than at the monorail resorts, but with 2 adults and 2 little ones, the room would be fine. You could also book a bunk bed room if you think your kids would like that. We had a bunk bed room when our boys were little and they loved it. Good luck and happy planning.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Polynesian27
Mouseketeer

With a 2 & 5 year old, I would do CR or BLT for the monorail. We took my soon to BLT when he was 1 and having the monorail is such a nice convenience! Not having to fold up the stroller is so nice. I would do a studio at BLT, not the greatest pool but you have the MK in your backyard! Great dining options and walking to MK can't be beat!
Polynesian27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

I would try the WL!
Old 11-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
oneprincessjo
Mouseketeer

I second The Contemporary or Bay Lake Tower. BLT is my home resort for DVC and I love it. I have a 2 year old and we just love the super short walk to Magic Kingdom, the monorail is also a huge plus. We never use the busses, if we can't walk or take the monorail we drive. The breakfast buffet at The Wave in The Contemporary is the best breakfast we always get. My next choice would be Wilderness Lodge, if you can stay on Club Level, do it!!! I absolutely love the club level in Wilderness Lodge, I suspect it would still be cheaper than a regular room at GF.

February 25th - March 1st 2008: Wilderness Lodge - Honeymoon and First EVER Disney World Trip!!!
November 28th - December 3rd 2010: Wilderness Lodge
February 26th - March 1st 2012: Bay Lake Tower
November 24th 2012: Old Key West
November 25th - 29th 2012: Bay Lake Tower
January 23rd 2014: Beach Club Villas
January 24th - 31st 2014: Bay Lake Tower
oneprincessjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
TeamSy
Mouseketeer

I think your only options for monorail would be to either try GF again or do CR/BLT. Another poster mentioned YC/BC, which, if you're seeking pools/water slides is THE best option for you because of the Stormalong Bay access.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

If you want to be on the monorail, I would consider GF again or try CR. The GF construction is done and all of the renovations are complete. They added a cute Alice in Wonderland splash area as well. I understand if you have a bad taste in your mouth from your last experience at GF, but I think you will have a better experience this time. There currently aren't any renovation announcements for CR, so that is a good choice as well. Walking to MK from CR is really convenient.

We stayed at GF during the construction as well and though it wasn't pretty, I would definitely stay there again.

BC/YC are great, but only if you want to be near EP and DHS. SAB really isn't that great for small children IMHO if you are mostly interested in slides. The main slide is enclosed and very long - my DS6 is still afraid to go down that slide. We spend most of our time in the kiddie slide area which is pretty boring if you ask me - just a small, straight slide. The GF slide is much more fun. The sandy, kids pool area is very nice. Again, BC/YC are great, but not if you want to be close to MK.

WL is nice, but rooms are small and you lose the monorail and the convenient transportation to MK, EP and the other monorail resorts. For us, boat to MK just doesn't take the place of monorail convenience.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: