Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
sersee05
DIS Veteran

need suggestion for something yummy...

Ok ..so we have just been winging meals. It hasn't turned out so well.lol

So I really want to do a "disneyesque" dinner tomorrow. We are not on the dining plan and staying offsite.

We are a family of five. I don't want to spend $300. But I know it will be expensive.

Anyhow we are going to magic kingdom tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out a good place to go . I don't have hopper passed and its last minute. I can monorail to the hotels tho.

I know from my last post that the hotels might be my best try.

I need a restaurant that is yummy for adults and kids..
Thanks@!!
Old 11-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Quin
DIS Veteran

Nothing is cheap, but it needn't cost $300 for 5 people especially if one or two are young enough for Childrens Meal prices. Just as in the real world breakfast is cheaper than lunch and lunch is cheaper than dinner (unless lunch and dinner are the same menu straight through; then it's the same price).

A character meal is the most "Disneyesque". Let's start within the MK: Crystal Palace. Breakfast and lunch are character buffets and are a lot cheaper than dinner. I haven't eaten at Be Our Guest so I'm not going to push it; reviews agree the theming is lovely but I see a lot of disagreement about the food. If you do go, go at lunchtime. But be prepared for an awfully long wait.

For an MK-area resort, try the buffet character breakfast at 1900 Park Fare in the GF or the family-style breakfast at Ohana in the Poly. Check availability first; I believe Ohana in particular may fill up. Breakfast at Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary will give you the Fab 5 characters but they come at a higher price point than any of the others I've named, I believe.

A late lunch at The Plaza is another option. While there are no characters, you have all the Disney Main Street theming at its best. Splurge: split the sandwiches but have everybody order their own over-the-top ice cream dessert.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
sersee05
DIS Veteran

It doesn't necessarily need to be character. My kids are older and don't Care..

It looks like my choices are Boma, cape may cafe, and the wave
Old 11-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
amym2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sersee05 View Post
It doesn't necessarily need to be character. My kids are older and don't Care..

We LOVE Boma! My kids (12 and 9) always ask to eat there. That said, we haven't eaten at the other two for dinner (we ate at Cape May for breakfast and loved it). The Wave would be the easiest to get to from MK, but I assume you'll have a car, so you can get anywhere.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
sersee05
DIS Veteran

Yea..my kids want to ride the monorail ..they are mad we have our car!!

I think I can get olivias cafe
Old 11-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Quin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sersee05 View Post

Well, you can't say you're stuck with 3 similar choices. I'm assuming you mean all 3 as dinner choices. If your family loves seafood and it's scarce where you live, Cape May it is. If this is something you can easily get at home, select one of the others.

I love Boma; while there are plenty of 'safe' choices, it also gives you the best chance to be adventurous. It sounds strange, but be sure to sample the soups! And the dessert choices are great too.

The Wave would be your least 'Disneyesque' option. The Disney in the décor is so subtle as to be nearly non-existent. There are no beautiful views because there are no windows. The only reason to go to this restaurant is if the menu really appeals to everyone in your party - and, again, if you can get similar food choices at home, the pricing probably is not justified.

If you are willing to go all the way from MK to AK, have you looked at Olivia's in Old Key West? They generally have availability and a very relaxed south Florida vibe, and a much more extensive menu than most other WDW restaurants.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
sersee05
DIS Veteran

Sorry..I'm on my phone...and it is having issues so I may not be giv ing enough info .

Basically I'm looking for a nice meal. By disneyesque I guess I mean..not something we normally can get at home and just looks like vacation. I wanted one meal that isn't a chain . I was even thinking of kona for breakfast because I get to go back to the poly. Lol

I was just coming back on here to say olivias is open and the menu looks interesting. Boma would also be different. We have seafood at home so maybe that isn't a good choice. Il mulino is open..looks expensive but I love italian.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

There is a nice dinner buffet at Trail's End Restaurant at Fort Wilderness that is the cheapest buffet dinner at WDW. You can ride the boat from Magic Kingdom.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

I'm confused. Are you looking to eat at a resort on the monorail? If so, your choices are any of the restaurants that are available at GF, CR and Poly. For reasonable TS meals on the monorail, try Kona, The Wave or GF Cafe.

If you are willing to drive, Il Mulino at the Swan is very good - not Disneyesque though. Swan is not owned by Disney. Also fairly expensive.

If you are willing to drive to AKL, Boma is good and Sanaa is excellent. Other thoughts - Kouzzina on the Boardwalk is fun and in the same price range as Wave, Kona, etc.

If you are willing to possibly wait a little bit, you could drive to BC and go to Beaches and Cream. The food isn't high end - mostly sandwiches, burgers, etc., but the atmosphere is a lot of fun and the ice cream sundaes are excellent. It will also come in cheaper than eating at other TS restaurants.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
sersee05
DIS Veteran

Not necessarily on monorail. I was just saying how my kids wished we didn't have our car. Reasonable is good. You guys have given me great suggestionss.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: