Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
gogo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 555

Grand Floridian ?'s

My son and I usually go to Disney for a short break in January. We've stayed at just about every resort but my son has never stayed at the GF. Just a little background, my son doesn't go to the parks as much and likes to hang out at the resort, pool, gym, etc. I think he goes with me just for a break in the middle of winter. Anyway, I haven't stayed at the GF in over 20 years although we visit every trip for dinner. My son has never stayed and mentioned that it might be nice to try. I'll add that the last two trips have been at the Boardwalk, which was great but we want to experience something new.

I'd like to stay club level and there is a difference of approx. $400 between Sugar Loaf and RPC. I'd love to stay in the main bldg. but can anyone share their opinions on the two levels? Even with the 35% discount its expensive so I'm not sure which to choose.
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,154

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
My son and I usually go to Disney for a short break in January. We've stayed at just about every resort but my son has never stayed at the GF. Just a little background, my son doesn't go to the parks as much and likes to hang out at the resort, pool, gym, etc. I think he goes with me just for a break in the middle of winter. Anyway, I haven't stayed at the GF in over 20 years although we visit every trip for dinner. My son has never stayed and mentioned that it might be nice to try. I'll add that the last two trips have been at the Boardwalk, which was great but we want to experience something new.

I'd like to stay club level and there is a difference of approx. $400 between Sugar Loaf and RPC. I'd love to stay in the main bldg. but can anyone share their opinions on the two levels? Even with the 35% discount its expensive so I'm not sure which to choose.
I've stayed both RPC and SL and while I don't care for SL, I love RPC. The food offerings are the same in both, but the lounges are worlds apart, IMO. The SL lounge is small and is located right inside the lobby of the SL building. I thought the lounge got very chaotic (especially in the morning) and there wasn't ample seating to accommodate all of the guests that stay there (just my opinion). Also, there are no views from the lounge as it's located in the center of the lobby. RPC, on the other hand, is amazing. The lounge is large and spacious and overlooks the GF lobby. There is plenty of seating, beautiful views, and the RPC CMs are awesome. If the extra cost is doable, I'd definitely stay in the main building. Good luck.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
jcjen519
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,493

In sept we stayed sl. We enjoyed it and would stay again. The lounge was never busy but it was a low crowd time and from all I have read this effects the experience in sl lounge. The rpc lounge is superior for sure, you can't beat the main building. You also can't get a tpv or lagoon view in sl.

IMO rpc is usually worth the price difference but if spending the extra money will effect your spending during the trip then sl is a great option. We would not hesitate to stay there again if we wanted to save a little money. It's right across from the quiet pool and a short walk to narcoossee and the boat to mk.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________


2015October 8 days poly cl tpv March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 4 days GF RPC Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
gogo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 555

Thanks for the information mickeynut1. To stay RPC would be totally indulgent but I'm considering it.
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
gogo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjen519 View Post
In sept we stayed sl. We enjoyed it and would stay again. The lounge was never busy but it was a low crowd time and from all I have read this effects the experience in sl lounge. The rpc lounge is superior for sure, you can't beat the main building. You also can't get a tpv or lagoon view in sl.

IMO rpc is usually worth the price difference but if spending the extra money will effect your spending during the trip then sl is a great option. We would not hesitate to stay there again if we wanted to save a little money. It's right across from the quiet pool and a short walk to narcoossee and the boat to mk.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We are looking at January 6th so hopefully it wouldn't be too busy. Thanks for your opinion
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
jcjen519
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,493

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
We are looking at January 6th so hopefully it wouldn't be too busy. Thanks for your opinion
No problem! I don't think you will be disappointed in either place. Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________


2015October 8 days poly cl tpv March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 4 days GF RPC Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,154

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
Thanks for the information mickeynut1. To stay RPC would be totally indulgent but I'm considering it.
You're welcome . Have a great trip. The GF is an amazing resort and I'm sure you'll have a very magical stay .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
toodycat
DIS Veteran
 
toodycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,129

I love them both.The food is the same and so are the rooms, but the lounges are different. Certainly, RPC is more centrally located and convenient. For us, the big plus of RPC is the ability to look out over the lobby and enjoy the live music. But, if you stay at SL, you can always just walk over to the lobby to enjoy the music. Either way, you'll have a magical stay.
__________________
Boardwlk Villas 9/14 F&W MNSSH
Wilderness Lodge/MVMCP 12/13
Beach Club Villas '13
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession
 
samnbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 738

We've stayed both as well.
As much as I enjoyed SL, when I stayed at RPC it felt amazing staying in the main bldg. I love to hear the pianist, it's beautifully decorated, the rooms are beautiful. Of all my CL stays, RPC was the best stay we've ever had.

We also had a Magic Kingdom view & we sat on the balcony every night & just sat there mesmerized by the Castle (lol)

Obviously if cost isn't an issue, my vote would be for RPC. It's also extremely convenient for the monorail. I hope you can go so I can live vicariously thru you until I get back there! Lol
__________________
Sept.99-GF Lodge concierge(During Hurricane)
May.01-Poly concierge
Oct.03-GF RPC
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL

samnbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.