Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
to be tink
Mouseketeer

Should have done my research! Advice Please.

So we have plans to stay at POFQ Feb. 22 - March 2. I just read that the pool will be closed mid January to the end of February. Ugh!!! The pool was one of my selling points of this resort to my DS8. I know that there will be a bus to the Riverside pool but the theming for the French Quarter looked so cool. I chose POFQ because we couldn't afford a deluxe this time around. And since the resort is smaller than other moderates it seemed easier to navigate. Plus it seems that the bus situation at French Quarter is better than other moderates. Now I'm debating switching to CB. I hear it is a huge resort but the pool looks like a lot of fun. Any advice?
to be tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
ShelliRenee
Daughter of a King

If I were you I would stick with POFQ. You can take the bus, the boat, or long stroll to POR and their pool is very fun. My son and his friend enjoyed it as much if not more than the POFQ pool.
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
drew64
disfanatic

POFQ is very nice. While it is compact and with one bus stop only, it often shares buses with POR for some parks and at some times of days which still leaves you with 4-6 stops.

You will be able to use the pools at POR - about a 10-15 min walk or so and their main pool is also nice. Request a building on th eleft side of resort as you face river - 5,6,7 to be a little closer to POR

For CBR, if you book a preferred location you will be close to pool and food court, etc. so size of the resort does not have much impact then.
drew64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
dansdad
DIS Veteran

After staying at POFQ, POR and CBR we prefer CBR. And the pool at CBR is just one of the things we like better. We have a really hard time getting our son our of the pool to go the parks. The grounds are just beautiful and there is such a laid back relaxed atmosphere. We like the food court better at CBR and we love that there is a bus stop at every village so you are never far from one. Ever since our first stay at CBR, we can't get ourselves to stay anywhere else.

Having said that, if you decide to stay at POFQ you could just walk over to POR for the pools. POR and POFQ are both lovely resorts, we just happen to prefer CBR.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
LONES
Mouseketeer

We have reservations at POFQ in January 1 week after the pool closes (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a delay!). We are traveling with my parents, and because they both have health/mobility issues, they really want to stick with FQ. If it was just my family going... I would almost definitely be switching to POR. We stayed at POR last trip because we couldn't get free dining at FQ. It's a lovely resort, and I think if you like one, you would like the other. My parents were happy with Riverside, but they just don't want to risk the long walks, and there were no preferred rooms available with the PIN my dad got.

I've been pretty bummed about the pool situation for a couple of reasons. One, my 2 daughters (9 & 7) were excited to use the pool, and it just seems like it's going to be a complete pain to go over to Riverside. Also... I'm expecting the Riverside pool willl be pretty crowded with all of the overflow from FQ. Also, FQ is such a pretty resort, and I think it will just completely take away from the whole theme to have construction going on the whole time we are there. The one thing I keep thinking as positive is that maybe a lot of people will cancel at FQ... and we'll have the resort to ourselves.

Also... I keep wondering when/if we are going to get any kind of notification from Disney. I would think we would get some sort of e-mail telling us about the pool being unavailable for our vacation. For a lot of people, that would be a complete dealbreaker. I would think they would want to let guests know up front, so they have the option to switch resorts. I've had time to absorb the information, and make a decision I can live with. I would think that the people that find out once they've checked in and walk past all of the construction on the way to find their rooms are going to be pretty upset.
LONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
jen73
Mouseketeer

are the pools heated? I cant imagine using a pool in January OR February even in FL. We are planning a 2014 Thanksgiving trip and have our ressies there at POFQ and I guess I havent even thought of using a pool then...TIA

and sorry for hijacking your thread
Old 11-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Yes the pools are heated all year. An unheated pool is misery by the way. Unless its a plastic kiddy pool, even in the summer you need it heated at least to some degree. Otherwise if its below the outside temperature it feels freezing.

Actually being in heated water in the cold is fabulous. It's the getting out part that hurts.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
jen73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Yes the pools are heated all year. An unheated pool is misery by the way. Unless its a plastic kiddy pool, even in the summer you need it heated at least to some degree. Otherwise if its below the outside temperature it feels freezing.

Actually being in heated water in the cold is fabulous. It's the getting out part that hurts.

wow! Thanks, I guess I never really gave it much thought as we always go to Disney during the summer. I appreciate the info
Old 11-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen73 View Post
wow! Thanks, I guess I never really gave it much thought as we always go to Disney during the summer. I appreciate the info
I knew the pools were heated, but I was still going to ask a similar question. I would never plan a winter trip around using a pool! I don't even feel like swimming unless it's above 80* out

However, I will also be there in Jan and do plan on getting in a hot tub at least once.

2014 Coast to Coast Goal: Full marathon Jan 2014 & Dumbo Double Dare Aug 2014!
RnbwSktles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
Eddy
Mouseketeer

Ask for a rebate

If I were going then I would ask for some rebate, people were getting rebates for no frig. They advertise a pool so you should get something if they don't have a pool. What are they doing that it would be down that long?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
If I were going then I would ask for some rebate, people were getting rebates for no frig. They advertise a pool so you should get something if they don't have a pool. What are they doing that it would be down that long?
If history holds up, you will not get any type of rebate. Their reasoning is that they are providing an alternative with transportation to POR to use the pools there. They are doing the same thing at Poly while the volcano pool is down, offering transportation to the GF to use the pools there. It's how WDW has always operated when pools are down for refurbs.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
Shaden
DIS Veteran

I'd say just book POR
Old 11-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #13
Disnut4925
Mouseketeer

If the pool is important to your DS then definitely move to a resort that actually has an open, available one. It seems it would be inconvenient to have a long walk or bus ride to and from the pool.
Disnut4925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #14
nkereina
Wendy Darling

We just got back from CSR and we really liked their pool. We found both the main pool and quiet pools much nicer than POR. With conventioners staying at CSR, the main pool doesn't get too crowded during the day.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #15
freckles04
DIS Veteran

I would book POR with a preferred room if you can swing the extra money. Then the resort size will not matter, other than you still have the multiple bus stops. (Same would go for CBR. Just be aware that CBR has double beds like the values.)

Also, we just stayed at POR (preferred room) in October and once when the line back to POR at MK was atrocious, we took the bus to POFQ and made the walk. Maybe it was just because we had been on our feet at MK since rope drop, but the walk felt loooooooooooooooooong!!!
MAY 1994: CBR AUG 2012: POP OCT 2013: POR JAN 2014: POP OCT 2014: POP

freckles04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: