Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
summersalt
DIS Veteran

If I keep my Ohana ADR, I'll miss Wishes. :(

It's the only night during our short trip that we'll be able to go to MK. Our ADR at 8:10 and Wishes is at 9:00. The park has EMHs so we were planning to eat late and stay for EMHs. I can't decide if Ohana is worth missing Wishes for? WWYD?

DH DD ME Sandy
summersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You can watch Wishes from the Polynesian...not sure how that works with the construction now though.

If you have never seen Wishes before, and it's important to you, then it's meant to be seen from the park.
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

You can see Wishes sitting at many of the tables at 'Ohana. Request a fireworks view when you check in. The restaurant lowers the lights and plays the Wishes soundtrack.
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
You can see Wishes sitting at many of the tables at 'Ohana. Request a fireworks view when you check in. The restaurant lowers the lights and plays the Wishes soundtrack.
First, I would say that you can see the FW from some of the tables at 'Ohana, not many. Second, if the OP's ADR is for 8:10 and they check in at 8:00, the odds of a window-side table opening up are not good. The closer you get to 9:00, the more likely it is that the people with prime viewing tables are going to keep them. At 9:30, you can pobably have your pick of window-side tables. But at 8:20, the pickings will be slim. Asking at the podium is fine, but you are likely going to be told that nothing is going to open up, and that several people are ahead of you on that "list".
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I've seen lots of rather UN-positive reviews of Ohana dinner here recently... Might not ultimately be worth it anyway, if you really want to see Wishes.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
BrokeMack
Mouseketeer

We got a window table for our belated anniversary dinner in September. We asked at the podium like half an hour before our table time and just walked around the resort for a while (hasn't been before). If you get there early and are celebrating, they might accommodate. Just understand that everyone will invade your personal space when the fireworks start.

... And we have nothing but positive things to say about it.
BrokeMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Having experienced both several times....

Skip Ohana - Experience Wishes in the Park.

(disclaimer: We would skip Ohana to ride Small World. - We do not like Ohana at all)

That being said - Have you seen Wishes before? If you have, then maybe it would be worth it to watch it from the Poly - If you haven't - it must be experienced inside the Park.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
antkim
"Easy to love"
Figured out how to feel good
More blessings on the way

I think the question is do you prefer a great meal or great fireworks. My family would take Ohana over Wishes but that is because we have seen Wishes before and we love Ohana! We have been lucky enough to see Wishes while eating at Ohana also.

Honestly we have to be one of the toughest critics when it comes to dining in Disney...we are food snobs! Not once have we had a rushed or bad meal at Ohana. Ironically we were there last Monday and had the same server as in Jan. Her name is Maggie and she is wonderful. Not once did we have to ask for our meal to be "slowed down".

Either way you can't go wrong so enjoy!!

Kim
antkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
BuffaloJim
Mouseketeer

If you've seen Wishes from the park before, but not from the Poly, I would keep the ADR. Check in before 7:30, eat, and then watch the fireworks from the beach. You should experience it at least once.
BuffaloJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
hedberg1661
DIS Veteran

Personally I believe that Ohanas has gone way down hill and really not worth your time. I would choose another location for dinner and make sure you can see Wishes.
1990's-2006 - Multiple trips ...mostly to BC, 2010 - BC, July 2012 - AKL, BLT, December 2012 - BC, April 2013 - DL, DCA Offsite, July 2013 - BLT, December 2013 - BC, July 2014 - BLT, October 2014 - S&D, 2014-15? - DCL, BC?

And as always: Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

hedberg1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
CraigInPA
Since June 1974

You can ask for a window table, but it is likely you will be told that the tables are being offered as they open up, and you'll get whatever becomes available. Everyone wants a window table, and there are actually only a very small number of tables that have a view of Wishes that won't be blocked by foliage.

You are likely to still be eating at 9pm. Just do what everyone else does when Wishes starts: get up and walk over to the windows and watch from there. But, be polite to the people who have the window tables and don't walk in front of them, or allow your children to walk in front of them.

If the stars align and you get in early and finish your meal, you can take the 2 minute walk to the Poly's beach and watch from there. It's actually a great view, and they pipe in the music.

Or, you can ditch 'Ohana, eat elsewhere, and see Wishes from inside the park.

If you've never seen Wishes, the best place, by far, is in the square in front of the castle. It'll be happening above you, and is incredible from there. I'd find somewhere else to eat in this case.

If you've seen Wishes before, I'd keep 'Ohana and play it by ear.
CraigInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
ShannonMB
DIS Veteran

I'm in the camp that doesn't think O'hana is all that great. If I were really wanting to eat there, I would do what someone else suggested - check in early and try to be done eating and get down to the beach.

This is only if you have already seen Wishes a few times. If it's one of your first 3 times seeing it, O'hana is not worth missing seeing it in the park IMHO.

ShannonMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #13
Katelly
Mouseketeer

I actually cancelled our Ohana ADR just the other day (and it took me forever to get one!) just so we can watch Wishes in the park. We've never seen Wishes on any of our trips and the way our schedule is working out, it was an either/or thing.

We have some other great meals planned and I'm really excited to see Wishes and the MSEP. Hope I made the right decision!

Beach Club: December of 1991,1994,1997,1999 and 2002
Caribbean Beach: December 2004,February 2006
Pop Century: February 2006
POR: December 2013
POFQ: April 2014
Katelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
LiveToTravelNicely
Strolling the Boardwalk: January 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelly View Post
I actually cancelled our Ohana ADR just the other day (and it took me forever to get one!) just so we can watch Wishes in the park. We've never seen Wishes on any of our trips and the way our schedule is working out, it was an either/or thing. We have some other great meals planned and I'm really excited to see Wishes and the MSEP. Hope I made the right decision!
I think you made the right decision. The msep and wishes are amazing and not to be missed!!

2014: EP Area- BWI-CL Standard
2012: AK Area- CSR-Casita #1
2011: MK Area- Poly-Garden View-Tokelau

LiveToTravelNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I've seen lots of rather UN-positive reviews of Ohana dinner here recently... Might not ultimately be worth it anyway, if you really want to see Wishes.
I was going to say this as well.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: