Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
qwerty2k
Earning My Ears

Please help me decide august 2015

Hi everyone me and my girlfriend are planning a trip to Disney in August 2015. We have previously been once before last year and stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge and absolutely loved it.

Just rang Disney for a price for flight inclusive holiday and have been quoted the following (all with regular dining plan, 14 day park tickets and include price of flights for 2 adults).

We will be exclusively using Disney transportation as we aren't going to hire a car.

Port Orleans French Quarter: £5200
Old Key West/Saratoga Springs: £5215
Animal Kingdom Lodge: £5800
Wilderness Lodge: £6294

Now we originally wanted a resort like Animal Kingdom (i.e., a bit smaller and compact) hence why we got a price for French Quarter, but okw and ssr are basically the same price.

Animal Kingdom we loved last time and would love to go back but don't want to 'ruin' the magic of last time so may look somewhere else new to explore?

I'm just a bit confused as to which i should pick, the reason I'm leaning against okw/ssr is because they are more villas with kitchens etc and we both really just want a hotel room (stupid question but do maids clean the studios at okw etc like a 'normal' hotel room?).

Wilderness Lodge is appealing due to location but is a bit more really than i would like to spend.

It seems a bit silly to pick FQ is i can get a deluxe for £15 more total?

Anyone have any suggestions as they would be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,
Scott
qwerty2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty2k View Post
Hi everyone me and my girlfriend are planning a trip to Disney in August 2015. We have previously been once before last year and stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge and absolutely loved it.

Just rang Disney for a price for flight inclusive holiday and have been quoted the following (all with regular dining plan, 14 day park tickets and include price of flights for 2 adults).

We will be exclusively using Disney transportation as we aren't going to hire a car.

Port Orleans French Quarter: £5200
Old Key West/Saratoga Springs: £5215
Animal Kingdom Lodge: £5800
Wilderness Lodge: £6294

Now we originally wanted a resort like Animal Kingdom (i.e., a bit smaller and compact) hence why we got a price for French Quarter, but okw and ssr are basically the same price.

Animal Kingdom we loved last time and would love to go back but don't want to 'ruin' the magic of last time so may look somewhere else new to explore?

I'm just a bit confused as to which i should pick, the reason I'm leaning against okw/ssr is because they are more villas with kitchens etc and we both really just want a hotel room (stupid question but do maids clean the studios at okw etc like a 'normal' hotel room?).

Wilderness Lodge is appealing due to location but is a bit more really than i would like to spend.

It seems a bit silly to pick FQ is i can get a deluxe for £15 more total?

Anyone have any suggestions as they would be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,
Scott
Out of your choices we've only stayed at AKL and WL. If the extra cost is doable, I would choose WL. We love both resorts for different reasons, but if you want to stay somewhere new, I think WL is a great choice. The same architect designed both resorts so while there are similarities between them, both offer a different atmosphere/feeling. If you don't want to spend the extra money, POFQ might be a good choice (although I would probably choose to go back to AKL as we love the deluxe resorts). With that said, I would probably choose POFQ over SSR or OKW as the villas don't really appeal to us. As far as housekeeping, if you book a villa on a cash reservation through Disney, you will get housekeeping every day, just as you would in a regular resort room. Good luck with your decision.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
Cubicleprisoner
Mouseketeer

Port Orleans French Quarter is very romantic and in my opinion, a much more enjoyable resort compared to Saratoga Springs. My advice would be to save the money, book at POFQ, and take your sweetie out to a nice dinner at a signature restaurant in one of the deluxe resorts.
Cubicleprisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
Out of your choices we've only stayed at AKL and WL. If the extra cost is doable, I would choose WL. We love both resorts for different reasons, but if you want to stay somewhere new, I think WL is a great choice. The same architect designed both resorts so while there are similarities between them, both offer a different atmosphere/feeling. If you don't want to spend the extra money, POFQ might be a good choice (although I would probably choose to go back to AKL as we love the deluxe resorts). With that said, I would probably choose POFQ over SSR or OKW as the villas don't really appeal to us. As far as housekeeping, if you book a villa on a cash reservation through Disney, you will get housekeeping every day, just as you would in a regular resort room. Good luck with your decision.
Agree with this. WL has the same grand feel as AKL (AKL and YC are my top 2) and I enjoyed it. SSR and OKW do not feel as grand and themed to me as the others on your list. I will also say that POFQ while smaller, will not have the same feel as AKL because there are no balconies or interior hallways. The doors open to outside, so it is more of a hotel v. motel thing (albeit nice ones). You will have to walk to another building to access the food court, pool, etc.
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler! AKL/CR for Princess Half Marathon!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
TestingH2O
Earning My Ears

Silly question, but how are you getting August 2015 prices? I tried to call and reserve rooms for 08/15 today and they said they weren't open yet.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
qwerty2k
Earning My Ears

Im in the uk, just rang them up and asked for a flight inclusive price. They said whilst the flights aren't out yet they can book me a holiday and guarantee the price and then once the flights come out they will confirm which airline (only BA and Virgin Atlantic fly from London direct to Orlando).

I am leaning against OKW and SSR however as the difference in price is £15 between those and FQ even though i might prefer the look (from the little I've seen online) of FQ it somehow seems a bit wrong to turn down a deluxe resort for so little extra.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestingH2O View Post
Silly question, but how are you getting August 2015 prices? I tried to call and reserve rooms for 08/15 today and they said they weren't open yet.
UK visitors get different packages, longer tickets, etc. than the US options we get
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler! AKL/CR for Princess Half Marathon!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
toodycat
DIS Veteran

I would choose either WL or AKL again. I think SSR is very far away and the theming doesn't do much for me. OKW is nice, but I would not say it has the "wow"factor of AKL. Port Orleans is pretty, but if I were visiting all the way from the UK, I would go deluxe. My sister and I stayed at the WL in December and loved it. The lobby is beautiful, the restaurants were excellent and we were upgraded to a room with a view of the courtyard. The theming is wonderful. The landscaping is spectacular. You really feel as though you're in one of our National Parks----complete with geyser. The boat to MK was quite convenient, too. The architecture of the WL is very similar to AKL. The only thing I would caution you about is this: if you love AKL because of the savannah, you may find yourself missing the animals. That is how I felt during my first stay at WL---kind of like something was missing. I managed to get over that when my sister convinced me to give WL another try last year---she isn't crazy about AKL ---and we had a fabulous trip.
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #9
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

Based on the information in your post, my gut tells me to suggest WL for the same reasons as other pp. It sounds like you would like to experience another WDW resort, but you loved the AKL.

WL will give you, I think, the most of what you are looking for.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #10
Aurora0427
DIS Veteran

I also suggest Wilderness Lodge. If you go down to a moderate resort, you're going to be disappointed, especially going from AKL to POFQ. I've stayed at POFQ, and I don't find it to be romantic at all, especially compared to AKL, WL, BC, YC, GF etc etc
Aurora0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Another reason to avoid SSR and OKW: Since you will not have a car, these are very spread out and you may end up in a room that is a far walk from pools, bus stops and restaurants. Or you you may be close to one and not the other. Very hard to say. And your bus ride is a little longer with the 5 stops within each resort.

I think you will be happiest with Wilderness Lodge - great theming, close to many food options and easy to get to other hotels for even more food options (boat to CR and FW, and hop over to monorail resorts by boat to MK or bus to TTC).

I like POR too. Fewer food options but a boat ride to DTD opens up the options nicely. Good rooms.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
qwerty2k
Earning My Ears

Many thanks for your responses, i am leaning towards wilderness lodge especially after your comments. Think i had better get saving.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
CoolPool
DIS Veteran

Curious as to the rather extreme difference in price between AKL and WL. Is there a difference in the view you were offered?
CoolPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #14
qwerty2k
Earning My Ears

Nope, both are standard rooms. All of the above are standard rooms (or studio in the case of OKW and SSR).
Old 07-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestingH2O View Post
2015 U.S. package rates aren't available yet -- but you should be able to book room-only if that fits your needs. Room-only can be booked 499 days out; you'll be initially quoted the highest rack-rate from this year, but it will automatically adjust once 2015 rates are released.

OP -- if the budget will stretch that far, I'd go with WL. But my budget never stretches that far so I'd go with POFQ.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: