Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
My2QTs
DIS Veteran

Is the Dessert Party worth the money?

We all love desserts, very much, but I am just wondering if its worth the cost. We have been to WDW many times, but never to the Dessert Party. For some reason, it just never caught my attention. As I said, we love dessert, but I guess Im kinda wondering, doesn't it get kinda sickening afterwhile? I mean, I wanna go hungry to get my money's worth, but how much dessert can you eat before it starts to get kinda sickening? And if we don't eat something beforehand, I dont know that I could make dessert my only meal for the evening. How does everyone handle the logistics of this? It's $50 per person, right? Just wanted to hear from others who have experienced it.
My2QTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

To us, not worth it
. . . expensive
. . . they run out of desserts nightly
. . . sometimes you don't get a second pass at the tables
. . . desserts are not AYCTE
. . . very poor view of the parade
. . . the fireworks are good IF YOU HAVE A TABLE NEAR THE RAIL
. . . if your table is not close to the rail, you still stand for the fireworks
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Jenny Sanders
DIS Veteran

I thought it was $25. a person???
Jenny Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
PrincessJo
Mouseketeer

It depends on who you talk to. We are going the first week of January and we can't wait.

Some say it's worth it to just to avoid the wall-to-wall people. Some have told me that there are so many desserts left over that the CMs were giving cookies to the kids to take with them. It's well known that everyone gets up to stand at the rails to see, but you are around a couple hundred people instead of a few thousand. It seems worth it to us.

http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized...s-it-worth-it/

As I said... it depends on who you ask. If you go... have fun!!!
Nov 2010 (Caribbean Beach Resort) -- Nov 2012 (Villas at Wilderness Lodge) & Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) -- Jan 2014 (Boardwalk Inn) -- Sept 2014 Universal (Royal Pacific) -- Nov 2014 (PO French Quarter)

Magic, March 9-15, 2013 (Western Caribbean)
Dream, Nov 21-24, 2014 (Bahamas)

DH Me DS(17) Sophie Maggie
PrincessJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
shannonstar
StarGirlJapp

We did it once and I am inclined to agree with Rusty. It's "okay" but not overly magical. It was cool when Tink flew over, but she appeared "manly".

The desserts were nice and they didn't run out while we were there, but it was something I would want to do more than once. You can't really see the parade very well, but you don't want to be late getting in line or you miss out on time.

I guess I would say it's worth doing once, but only if you are going to be in the MK twice for fireworks.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
dalt01
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
To us, not worth it
. . . expensive
. . . they run out of desserts nightly
. . . sometimes you don't get a second pass at the tables
. . . desserts are not AYCTE
. . . very poor view of the parade
. . . the fireworks are good IF YOU HAVE A TABLE NEAR THE RAIL
. . . if your table is not close to the rail, you still stand for the fireworks
......not a cheap vaca
......they dont usually run completely out
......most of us dont need one
......what the#### does that mean
......it was never meant as a parade viewing party
......the fireworks are 300 feet up, its hard for someone to get in the way
we go to it every year, i just paid 55 and change for two of us for late May. nothing is for everyone, you couldnt pay me to go to the luau for example but we never miss HDDR.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

AYCTE = All You Care To Eat

If you've ever had Palo Brunch on the DCL, the desserts at the dessert party are comparable/the same as Palo. Nice to try at least once!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
Quin
DIS Veteran

For us it was worth it. Seeing Wishes and the castle projection show beforehand is important to us; the parade not so much and anyhow we caught the late parade in Frontierland on a different night.

Around $25 per person (adult); prices vary a little based on the calendar just like everyplace else at WDW. We didn't notice them running out of anything until the very end, basically during the fireworks. They do consolidate the dessert area from multiple lines with the same items on each down to a single line, but you could still go back for another refill immediately after the fireworks if you wanted to let the crowd disperse a little.

The dessert party starts about 1 hour before that night's Wishes, so you want to get there around 1.5 hours before Wishes. The line looks big but when we went they were pre-checking people in and handing out wristbands; then as soon as the party opened they seated people extremely quickly.

We chose a night when Wishes was at 9 pm, so we had a big late lunch (around 2 pm at Biergarten, IIRC), then got to Tomorrowland Terrace just after 7:30. They opened at about 7:45. Bonus points if you schedule your Dessert Party for a night when the MK has evening EMH - the sugar high from the desserts can easily carry you through 2 am. Ask me how I know!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Goofy101798
Earning My Ears

We went a couple of years ago... and enjoyed it. But we consider it a one-time experience.
Goofy101798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
DizzDoll
DIS Veteran

We thoroughly enjoyed it both times we went. The only caveat is not to eat a huge meal immediately beforehand! We could take as many swipes through the desserts as we wanted, and they were always replenished regularly. The problem I myself, a glowing coffee addict, had is the coffee took a LONG time to be replenished and when it was it was cold. As far as Tink, sometimes you get Tinker Belle and sometimes you get Tinker Bill, but who cares you're in Disney so roll with the fun. You are off-center from the castle but the views are lovely, especially the castle shows. If this is something you would really like to try then I can recommend you do so. If my family and I go again in August we'll do it again.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
chuckinthechat
Mouseketeer

We did it in August and had a seat at the rail, however we still had to stand at the rail to see properly. However the desserts were fantastic and the music being piped in made it worth it. However I would not do it again at all
Old 11-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
mariethecat
Mouseketeer

We have done it twice and are going again in January. We find as a large group that it is worth the money. We always have plenty to eat and have had a table closest to the railing both times. We find it much more relaxing to watch the fireworks and castle show there. We do not go for the parade as it is difficult to see from there.
Everyone has a different opinion but for us it is a must-do now.
All Star Movies-Jan 2009
Pop Century- Jan 2011 and Dec 2011
POP- Jan 2013
POP- Jan 1014
AKL and ASMu- Jan 2015

mariethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
JennyLynn21
Mouseketeer

we loved it They did not run out desserts while we were there. Any plates that went empty were quickly replaces. Everything tasted very fresh and yummy. We sat at our table the time and had a wonderful view of the fireworks, so I am not sure what another poster meant by you still have to stand? It was nice because it was not so crowded, people weren't pushing and shoving.

I love Disney

JennyLynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
MN Disneyfan
Mouseketeer

We went the first year they had the Dessert Party. I'd have to agree it was okay. I'm glad I did it, but we would never do it again. I would instead use the money to go crazy in the park and eat as many desserts that appealed to me.
2012-Beach Club
2011-Boardwalk
2010-Beach Club
2009-Beach Club
2008-Carribean Beach
2006-Offsite
2002-Yacht Club
1991-Offsite

Love them, hug them and take them to Disney!
MN Disneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
Imhere
Mouseketeer

Just like everything else at WDW, for some it's worth it, for some it isn't.

For me it isn't.

We find the mass produced desserts at WDW to be bland and tasteless for the most part.

We can also find better viewing spots for the fireworks.
Imhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: