Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
peainapod
Mouseketeer

Just can't get excited for upcoming POR stay!

No matter how I try, I just cannot get excited about our upcoming POR stay. I look at the pictures and think it is so "blah." I am not a rustic/camping/outdoorsy girl by any means....
We cannot afford a deluxe at this time as we have many extra Disney character meals and experiences planned. I am honestly thinking about changing to somewhere off property. We probably won't use EMH. So, that's not an issue.

Help me get excited about the POR....POFQ was not available for our times.
peainapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
prgal0715
Mouseketeer

I'm also NOT an outdoorsy girl, but I really like POR and booked it for my upcoming stay in December. It's a cute, well-themed resort and the location is excellent.

For less of that "rustic" feel, I would suggest requesting a room in the Magnolia Bend section of the resort. The buildings are Southern plantation-style mansions and have a pretty décor. The boat rides to DTD and horse-drawn carriages that are available for rides give a gentile, almost Gone with the Wind feel to the resort. I'm also a big fan of the general store in the main building. If the shopping is good, I'm happy!

It's not the Contemporary, but POR is far from roughing it! I encourage you to give it a chance!

1st WDW trip - 1980
Most recent WDW trip - June 2014
Next WDW trip - August 2014

Twitter: @btripp715
Instagram: btripp715

prgal0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
dworldlovers
Mouseketeer

Not sure why you think POR is 'blah'! The property is beautiful!!!! If you aren't an outdoor type, request a room in the Magnolia Bend/ mansion area. POR is a great resort to relax after a busy day at the parks. Take a nice boat ride to DTD and swim in one of the many 'quiet' pools around the property. Staying off-property might save you a couple of $$ but you lose the Disney magic/feel, as well as the other perks, such as buses, boats, etc...
dworldlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainapod View Post
No matter how I try, I just cannot get excited about our upcoming POR stay. I look at the pictures and think it is so "blah." I am not a rustic/camping/outdoorsy girl by any means....
We cannot afford a deluxe at this time as we have many extra Disney character meals and experiences planned. I am honestly thinking about changing to somewhere off property. We probably won't use EMH. So, that's not an issue.

POR was our first Disney resort about 20 years ago. (Back then it was Dixie Landings!) We got totally hooked & fell in love with it! I am also NOT an outdoorsy girl. I love GF & YC & have stayed there for the last 12 years or more. But we went back to POR in 2010 & felt it was as beautiful as ever.

We like the mansions décor, not as rustic as the bayou rooms. The walkways are beautifully groomed with lush landscaping & gorgeous flowers. There really is no camping/ roughing it feel. More like a charming old southern mansion.

Yes, the food court is themed after an old cotton mill. But it's not overwhelming & how much time do you spend there anyway. There are many quiet pools so if you just want a quick dip, there is always a pool close by. And the main pool is lots of fun for kids with a fun slide & a few waterfalls.

There is a nice relaxing boat ride to DTD which will be much better than driving from offsite & fighting the construction going on there. And the walk to POFQ is really pleasant--right along the riverbank.

There are only 2 reasons we don't stay there anymore: Yacht Club's pool & quick walk to Epcot & DS. Really not because the theming at POR at all.

Good luck with your decision-- and enjoy your vacation!!

EDIT to add: you can visit the food court at POFQ & because they are sister resorts, you are allowed to use that pool too. So you will have time to ability the atmosphere there too.

Last edited by focusondisney; 11-20-2013 at 10:42 AM.
focusondisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dworldlovers View Post
Not sure why you think POR is 'blah'! The property is beautiful!!!! If you aren't an outdoor type, request a room in the Magnolia Bend/ mansion area. POR is a great resort to relax after a busy day at the parks. Take a nice boat ride to DTD and swim in one of the many 'quiet' pools around the property. Staying off-property might save you a couple of $$ but you lose the Disney magic/feel, as well as the other perks, such as buses, boats, etc...
Just want to agree with this thought & add to it. You can stay at a generic hotel anywhere on any vacation. There is nothing like immersing your self in the Disney magic. To me, the theme of the resort adds to the whole vacation experience. I wouldn't get the "escape reality/ enjoy the fantasy" feel at an off sight hotel that could be in any other city.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
SuzieN
DIS Veteran

I am beyond excited for my upcoming POR stay!!! I have only stayed at POR, POFQ, and The Dolphin. POR is the only one I have stayed at more than once - I love it sooooo much I am afraid I would regret not staying there if stayed somewhere else. The grounds are gorgeous. Take a walk throught the mansion section at night - it is breathtakingly beautiful!!
SuzieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
SEA333
DIS Veteran

Oh wow! We just got back from POR and we LOVED it!!!! We even stayed in AB section due to having five in our party, and the entire resort was perfect. "Rustic" to Disney is well-placed props and landscaping LOL, not "rustic" like we would normally think about it. Not a single cobweb on the stairs or hallways, rooms were super-cutely decorated, every once in a while we saw a tiny little lizard on a rock (which we also saw in Fantasyland in front of Rapunzel's tower, too...and in Epcot; they are pretty much everywhere in FL). The pool right outside of our building was very clean and pretty and QUIET!, the bathrooms there were clean and nicely-kept. We were "far away" in building 36, and it was about a 6 minute walk along BEAUTIFUL landscaping, lighted brick/cement walkways, and stone bridges to get to the main building/pool.

We agreed that we LOVED POR, and would stay there over the Poly or other resorts any day. Rustic to Disney is all about theming, not real rustic amenities!!!
SEA333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

I wasn't a huge fan of POR, but I also wouldn't interpret it as an "outdoorsy" resort. Like, at all.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
bastos
ValiantDad

We felt it was 'rustic,' too. We liked it a lot. The pool was great - and employees were a kick, too. Underwhelmed by the restaurant, but all else was great.
bastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Don't concentrate on the resort, and think about all the great things you are going to do at WDW. It's an awesome resort though. I don't know how you get "camping" out of it, because it's nothing like camping. maybe you would prefer to request one of the "manor" buildings.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
ladybub101
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I hear you. We are a family of 5, first-timers, and this is our cheapest option, in an Alligator Bayou room. We love the idea of the boat to downtown Disney and the other pros (various pools, restaurants, etc...). We are campers/outdoorsy. However, I feel I should not be paying so much for a "blah" room that is rustic and camp-like. I guess it's just not the kind of "feel" I want for a Disney trip! I want the fancy/Disney feel. I want the kids to be excited about the resort (AoA or Pop for example), and I feel like they would find this one boring. Then I tell myself that they will get enough "disney" from the parks and having a relaxing resort will be nice at the end of a long day, and the great reviews of the resort do help. We won't be using EMH, yet still are not considering offsite. It's the convenience we are going for...not having to worry about shuttle buses, car rentals and being able to take advantage of the dining plan. There's enough planning involved as is! I hope you are not disappointed with whatever option you choose!
Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
karenklo
DIS Veteran

I cannot wait for our POR trip next month! The landscaping is so lush and beautiful. We were at the POFQ and the Poly in July and loved it, but I am looking forward to staying at the POR for the boat ride to DTD, carriage rides, and being at WDW!!! Yeah!
Old 11-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It's a wonderful resort with great pools, theming, and natural beauty. It's our favorite resort at Disney.

Mike

My 1000th post! YEA!!!
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #14
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

I kinda know how you feel. I just could not get excited about CSR before we stayed there in October. When we got the Rancheros section I was equally glum... until I stepped into the room. It was really nice. The kids LOVED CSR though, especially the pool. The buses were great too, and I loved that they had some nice toiletries (the little things).

Then (due to lack of FD at any mod on our last 2 nights) we switched over to POR. I had my heart set on POR all while planning (over CSR), mansions request because I though AB would be too "rustic" feeling. We got AB. It's not really that "rustic" and is actually just really cute theming - and I do a lot of camping and travel a lot in nice hotels as well. The Princess and Frog touches really add a little something too. Really hard to describe as the pictures really don't do it justice. The Food Court is busy, but so is any CS in the parks, just something to get used to, or in/out as quickly as possible. He's just incredible, totally added to our trip and the kids STILL talk about that night. The landscape is very lush and relaxing, not "backwoodsy" at all. The paths around AB are a little crazy, but I just kept laughing at myself when I would take a wrong turn and it became a fun little challenge, or would just take a different direction now and then. I found the hammocks on Ol' Man Island that way!

POR has a lot of charm too with the boats to DTD, carriages, etc. And don't forget Bob - he's a MUST SEE! POFQ is quaint, and a quick boat trip away. We did that just to enjoy the pool at POFQ one day. Also the Pomegranate Lemonade they had in Sassagoula Floatworks - yum!!!

CSR October 2013, POR October 2013
Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal circa 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I had POR on my 'to try' list and when my mom and I decided to do a F&W trip and POR had Free Dining I decided to give it a shot.

She was not at all excited about the AB section so we did a royal room. (I actually kinda liked the rustic AB look but oh well).

However I will say that the resort as a whole is very lush and beautiful. The music, the landscaping and the buildings really do have a ambiance that is relaxing and unless you're from the part of the country it really does seem like you're staying in a southern rural area but with all the conveniences of a modern resort.

My mom really liked it and would stay again. I would stay again and if I do I hope to do the more 'rustic' side of the river.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: