Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Goldilocks07
DIS Veteran

Coral Reef, Le Cellier, or Chefs De France OH MY!

I can't decide between these 3 restaurants. The only one I've been to is Coral Reef. We are 4 adults and 2 toddlers- please give me your advise- I would really appreciate it.
*Right now I have resi's for Coral Reef, because I figured the children would really enjoy the fish tank. I am just not sure what I want to do---
Old 11-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
troll buster
Mouseketeer

I love CR and I think you're right about the fish keeping the kids entertained.
troll buster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
mkejdo
Earning My Ears

Coral Reef has been getting mixed reviews as of late. I've read a lot of reviews that say food and service are average at best.

Source: Friends who have eaten there and were disappointed.

An option: My family and I last stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge, and none of us are fans of African food. On our second to last night, we took the advice of some friends to eat at Boma, the buffet at Jambo House.

We were surprisingly happy with our meals. It was the best dinner we had on our trip. We ate at Cinderella's Royal Table, Akershus (very good), Fulton's Crab House at Downtown Disney, Rainforest Cafe and other places, but Boma was the stand out favorite for two "foodie" parents and two picky eater kids.

I was honestly surprised at how delightful everything was at Boma.
mkejdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
nym4588
Mouseketeer

I can't speak to Chefs or Coral Reef, but I can definitely say that Le Cellier was one of the best meals I've ever had at WDW. There were four of us and we all were thrilled with the food and service.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
ckelly14
Lurker

CR is my wife's favorite (she's a Marine Biology major) but for our trip in June I had to put the kabosh on a CR ADR. Food was downright mediocre my last meal there. However, for your kids ages and the atmosphere, CR may be the ticket. My kids used to love it there.

I notice a few restaurants that were "must do's" in the past and difficult to obtain ADR's have been getting really poor reviews over the last 12 months, including Le Cellier (yes, I'm also looking at you, Ohana)

Food is very good, but not great, at Chef, but the atmosphere leaves something to be desired. But it is consistent!

Perhaps I'm not recommending any of these? I'm planning on Teppan Edo as our only TS restaurant within Epcot, but I'm staying at the Dolphin, so planning on Flying Fish for the other Epcot night.
ckelly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
gardengirl628
I'm sorry I bit you....and pulled your hair....and punched you in the face.

We have enjoyed Coral Reef in the past. Had a horrible meal and experience at Chefs in August, and absolutely loved Le Cellier in August...our favorite meal of the trip.

Dana
WDW-offsite 1977, 1984; Dixie Landings November 1998; CSR June 2007; AKL November/December 2009; BWV/Western Magic/BLT February 2011; BCV July 2011; BLT/3 day Dream October 2012; HHI April 2013; BW August 2013
gardengirl628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
Axel
Introduce a Little Anarchy. 1979-2008
Pi a la ModeJack, I swear…

We sat right by the glass in CR and it was a pretty cool experience, but the food was just plain bland and boring for our tastes (which may be exactly what you need with young ones who haven't developed a taste for a ton of flavor yet).

Le Cellier continues to be one of my favorite places to eat on property. Maybe I just got an extra dose of pixie dust from the Disney Food Fairy when I was young, but my family seems to be the only ones who haven't ever been given reason to say anything negative about Le Cellier. We've always gotten great food, top-notch service, and been completely satisfied.

Les Chefs is our favorite and most consistent lunch choice at EPCOT. I've only done dinner there once and I was definitely not disappointed. The food is good and very filling (the Prix Fixe is enough to stuff me for the rest of the day at lunch).

While the atmosphere in the two WS TS selections isn't very entertaining for young children, the food would probably be the better option for the adults.
September 1996::WDW 25th Anniversary::Fort Wilderness\\October 1999::Millenium Celebration::FW\\November 2001::WDW 30th Anniversary and 100 Years of Magic::FW\\December 2004::Purchased DVC::FW\\ November 2005::WDL 50th Anniversary::Saratoga Springs Resort\\December 2006::Year of a Million Dreams::SSR\\August 2007::Pirate and Princess Party::Boardwalk\\November 2007::YoaMD::SSR\\February 2008::with Lissy::Villas at the Wilderness Lodge\\August 2008::with Nora::Old Key West\\December 2008::with Shianna::SSR\\February 2009::What Will You Celebrate?::Beach Club Villas\\January 2010::Un-Birthday:::Animal Kingdom Lodge\\May 2010::Dad's 65th/With Molly::OKW\\January 2011::Un-Birthday::Bay Lake Tower\May 2011::With Nora::BCV\\May 2012::One More Disney Day::OKW\\January 2013::Damon's First Trip::OKW\\March 2013::Spring Break with Sarah::OKW\\May 2013::College Grad!::VWL\\July 2014::ACTUAL BIRTHDAY TRIP!!!::Villas at the Grand Floridian\\October 2014::Food and Wine Festival::OKW\\December 2014::Christmas with Dan and LouAnn::OKW\

You must always remember to smile.

restaurants eaten at: 143/251
my blog
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

We love Coral Reef. Absolutely one of our favorite places. LesChef didn't impress us when we ate there, but haven't decided to try again, so may one day in the future. LeCellier USE to be our favorite, esp. the lunch menu. But lunch and dinner are now both the same. We ate there last month for our last time. We all decided never again. The food was average and overpriced and the service was poor. Sadly, we use to love eating at LeCell, but after a steady decline the last few visits, our family all agreed while walking out, that we just can't justify the cost for what we got.

2015 TRIPS-Under Construction
April 29 - May 16 @ BCV
Sept 11-12@ BLT; ? + Cruise
Oct 25 - Nov 7 @ ?

Last edited by n2mm; 11-20-2013 at 07:43 AM.
n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Im not a fan of Le Cellier at all. Food is over rated and the place is so cramped, tables too close together. I dont think this is an ideal place for toddlers.

Foodwise, I vote for chefs/france. Food is delicious!
Atmosphere wise, I say go for Coral Reef. It'll keep your wee ones entertained!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

Last edited by goofyintoronto; 11-21-2013 at 09:45 AM.
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
x5x5x5x5x5
Finally figured out how to do this...

I used to love Le Cellier years ago but now it seems so tight and cramped - boo! I've never had a bad meal there though imo the steaks are overrated. Chefs for us has always been a disaster when we go for dinner BUT we've had fabulous lunches there. We don't usually order big entrees - we tend to graze on soups and cheese plates, maybe escargot etc. Now Coral Reef. Sigh. I love this restaurant but it is inconsistent. We keep going back because we love the atmosphere and do have a great great meal about 50% of the time but I'll offer some advice. If you decide you want to go with CR (and I'd recommend it truthfully over the others - even with the food / service caveat), I would make sure your ressie is not during peak peak dining times. That place can get wild when it is super crowded and the servers are "in the weeds." Also, you don't have to sit right next to the aquarium to get a great view.
x5x5x5x5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

With a party of 6 you will not be seated tankside at Coral Reef. You will probably be at the 6 top tables on the middle tier. While still a good view, it's doubtful that at that distance, your toddlers will be entertained. I know ours was not. Food here is hit or miss-I've dined here at least a half dozen times and I would say the good vs bad meals is 50-50. Service is never great.

I like Chefs for lunch but not for dinner. I have disliked every dinner but the lunches have been pleasant. It's a combination of menu and atmosphere and not one particular thing.

I think Le Cellier is the best of the 3. Although I don't think Le Cellier is a good signature restaurant, it is still better than most of the casual dining Epcot restaurants.

I've dined at all but Nine Dragons at Epcot and none of the 3 above rank in my top tier. If it's between these 3, I would pick Le Cellier for dinner and Chefs for lunch.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
DVCGail
David's Vacation Club Rentals

DISboards Approved Advertiser

We ate at Coral Reef during our trip in June. Enjoyed the food and the aquarium was amazing.

DVCGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldilocks07 View Post
I can't decide between these 3 restaurants. The only one I've been to is Coral Reef. We are 4 adults and 2 toddlers- please give me your advise- I would really appreciate it.
*Right now I have resi's for Coral Reef, because I figured the children would really enjoy the fish tank. I am just not sure what I want to do---
Fish tank would be the reason my family chooses Coral Reef. My wife & I also prefer the 'smallish' portions too.

Le Cellier & France would have nothing to preoccupy the children (alas, Remy is gone).

Some suggest food at Le Cellier is a cut above France & Coral Reef. I might not agree. However, lunch menu in France is more limited and, in my opinion, not as good as dinner menu.

My choice(s):
1.) Coral Reef
2.) France Dinner/Le Cellier Lunch
3.) Le Cellier Dinner/France Lunch

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Just want to let you know that we ate at CR and the kids menu was completely changed. No pizza or nuggets. Had baked fish, chicken steak and Mac n cheese. We won't be going back. This was our second try. The first time food was horrible and service was bad. This time food was blah and service was good.
We love les chefs and it's always excellent service and food. Le Cellier is also a hit for us.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
cjj23
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldilocks07 View Post
I can't decide between these 3 restaurants. The only one I've been to is Coral Reef. We are 4 adults and 2 toddlers- please give me your advise- I would really appreciate it. *Right now I have resi's for Coral Reef, because I figured the children would really enjoy the fish tank. I am just not sure what I want to do---
Le Cellier would be my pick.
cjj23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: